Home Forums Modern Flashpoint Miniatures 15mm Vietnam-era US Marines

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Well, I’ve finished up another group of 15mm troops, and it’s a big one! I ordered some of Flashpoint Miniatures’ Vietnam-era USMC (all the way from Down Under!) several months ago, but just now got around to getting them painted up. I ordered the USMC M-16-equipped Rifle Platoon (which has a smattering of M-14s, too) and the USMC M-14 Platoon Headquarters pack, along with their Mechanical MULE. So, it’s big: I think there’s about 80 guys between the three packs (the MULE has a driver), which is way bigger than any of my other 15mm forces. As an aside, this has started a bit of an arms race: I have some NVA from Peter Pig, but nowhere near enough, so I just ordered some more from Brookhurst Hobbies (though it’s gonna be awhile as they’re out of stock! Just my luck).

So, with so many troops to get painted up, I decided to take the easy route. You could also read this as the ‘lazy route,’ but I think they turned out pretty well. I initially planned on doing the uniforms one color, the flak jackets another, and the gear a third, while throwing some camo on the helmet covers. Well, I cut some corners and just painted the whole damn troop olive drab, then threw a wash on it, which really brought out the detail well. Then it was simply a matter of hitting weapons and flesh (which I did, once again, using three different skin tones). Let’s get to it; I’ve broken it down into HQ and Weapons Platoon attachments, the grenadiers, the M-14 troops, and the M-16 troops.

An M-14 rifleman pose, reminds me of Tom Cruise in ‘Born on the 4th of July.’

An M-16 pose, good animation in moving forward, and the wash really pulled out the details.

“Corpsman!!!” To see the rest of the pics, with officers, radiomen, mortars, recoilless rifles, .50 cals, M-60s, LAWs, 3.5″ rocket launchers, snipers, minesweepers, working dogs, a MULE, guys humping casualties out of the kill zone, M-79 grenadiers, and a whole lotta riflemen, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2015/12/flashpoint-miniatures-15mm-vietnam-era.html

These troops are fantastic and I highly recommend them; my only real complaints were the sole M-79 grenadier pose and the fact a lot of the guys that should have pistols didn’t have holsters (though they could be painted on easily in most cases), so nothing you can’t really live with. I would go out and buy the M-14 Platoon Pack, but 15mm was supposed to only be a side project!

Hope you like them, comments welcome, as always. Today I almost finished some 10mm Nappies for Command & Colors, but I still need flags for them. I should have another batrep ready over on the Cuba Libre blog by tomorrow evening, and playing up more fights.

V/R,
    Jack

Whirlwind
    Participant

They look very nice: how long did they take you to do overall/per figure?

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Just Jack
    Participant

Tempest,

Thank you, Sir.  Here’s my process:

clean

assemble vehicle and heavy weapons

glue to painting sticks

spray prime

paint uniform, weapons, flesh, details

wash

glue to bases (pennies)

paint bases

flock bases

It took way too long, about eight hours.  I can’t imagine how long it would have taken if I’d gone for more colors, or camo!

V/R,

Jack

Whirlwind
    Participant

Thanks for that Jack.  That looks like an easily do-able project, I’m going to think it over and may add something similar to my own projects list for 2016.

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

kyoteblue
    Participant

They look great Just Jack…The FOW V C are better than the NVA they make.

Just Jack
    Participant

Tempest/Whirlwind – Do it man!  I say 8 hours like it’s terrible; I’m just spoiled by working with 10mm or doing very small forces in larger scales.

Kyote – Thanks man.  Hadn’t thought of the Battlefront VC.  Anyway, I’ve got more PP VC on order, just gotta be patient til they get here.

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.