Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Foamcore Rooms

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Noel
    Participant

Thinking of trying my hand at making freestanding rooms to do building interiors and I’m wondering what I should use for the floors.  Will a foamcore floor warp?

Mike
    Keymaster

Has done in my experience.
    Plasticard of a good thickness would be a good move I reckon.
    Paint it on the underneath too and that may work.

No warping on the Mexican/Southwest buildings I made years ago, but the floor edges were attached to the exterior walls with a hot glue gun.

Are you planning to leave the edges free? I can see how it might warp, but the foamcore I used was pretty rigid.

trenchfoot
    Participant

Hi Noel, if you are in the UK near a Range store, have a look at my post,  it could be what you are looking for

Noel
    Participant

I was thinking of having the four walls surround the outside of the floor edges.  I am completely new to working with foamcore/board.

I will look at my local shop to see if he sells thick plasticard.

Trenchfoot, which post are you referring to?  I am in the US but if it is worth exploring I would order from the UK.

John Treadaway
    Participant

Expanded PVC is my weapon of choice

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
    OldBen1
    Participant

I would see if you can find a professional cutter.  I found cutting foamcore by hand almost impossible.  It’s good because you can use elmers to attach anything to it, wallpaper, thin card etc.  All my buildings are made from foamcore.  For interiors I usually go wall-less.  It allows you to move the characters around freely and is a lot less work.

Mike
    Keymaster

Expanded PVC is my weapon of choice

Yes this. That is all I use.

Noel
    Participant

Thanks.  I can’t find the pvc board at my local crafts stores.  Home improvement places have them but they are 1/2 inch thick.  Got any suggestions where an American can look?

Also, how do you handle masking where wall corners meet?  Foam core can be cut with the paper still intact to hide this.

OldBen1
    Participant

I was thinking about this project this weekend.  I did something similar with paper mache boxes.  It worked out really well.  I used it more as a diorama but you might try the same thing.

This was for Cthulhu, but I also made some for a dungeon game as well:

Mike
    Keymaster

That is actually very neat!

I can’t find the pvc board at my local crafts stores.  Home improvement places have them but they are 1/2 inch thick.  Got any suggestions where an American can look?

exp pvc

?

Private Snafu
    Participant

That’s a really nicely designed and executed project.  Instead of having tons of tiles and bits it seems like you have more manageable set pieces that still offer the ability to customize with modular internal parts.  Well done!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.