Home Forums Renaissance Foot cavalry in Fog-r

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Brendan Morrissey 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

I’ve been re-reading the FoG-R rules (figures packed away = nothing much better to do).

I seem to have picked up a mistake, I’ve made in all our games so far.

It seems Commanded Muskets (those 2 bases of infantry attached to Horse formations) are deemed “cavalry” by the rules. Fair enough as they exist only to support mounted formations.

Now as you probably know, under certain circumstances, units are allowed Second & Third moves in a game turn. Thus, in Second Moves, only units of the same type (ie all foot or all mounted) are allowed this bonus. What’s more, in Third Moves, only mounted may be get this bonus.

Thus it would seem the Commanded Shot can be brought along in sweeping Grand Tactical movement of  mounted units.

Hmmmm. This seems ridiculous that foot soldiers *could* keep up with cavalry. I could compromise & allow them a Second Move with their cavalry brethren but I don’t think that they be allowed a Third Move & should be left behind (& removed) if their cavalry pals do so.

What do you think?

donald

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

Donald,

You have overlooked one important factor – the division moves at the rate of its slowest unit, which in this case is the commanded shot; this is actually mentioned in the full-page example on p.43 of the rule book (see unit “C”).  Thus a “mounted” division including CS can only move 9MUs (3 x 3MU), so your fears of creating units of Usain Bolts is unfounded – I agree that CS moving 15MU would be absurd!  (If you want, you can explain away the extra movement as the CS “riding double” behind some of the troopers, or hanging on to their stirrup leathers.)  Also, bear in mind that CS are the only units exempt from the requirement that each unit of a division must be separated from every other unit of the division by at least one base width.

Brendan

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Brendan, I’m covered in embarrassment. Thanks for the clarification.

BTW I really don’t buy the “hang on to the stirrups” idea. If you’ve ever ridden a horse you’ll see lots of reasons why this would not be practical for any length of time.

donald

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

Don’t worry, matey – we’ve all been there!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.