Home Forums Ancients For Simon

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

That sound you can hear, it’s Simon trying to squeeze himself up a USB cable to get to my Romans. As if the man hasn’t got enough already, chutzpah!

Punics

A game based on Telemon. The Gauls are where Simon wants to be, between…..

Punics

Trasimine. The Spanish and Gallic warriors wait in ambush. They all want a piece of the Romans, so does………

Punic

Another shot of the same game at a show. You can’t see Simon but, I’m sure he’s lurking somewhere near by.

Punics

Simon’s idea of a holiday. Romans on boats.

Punics

Trebbia in full swing. Steady, Simon.

Punics

My Romans and, Simon, when I die, I’m going to take them with me.

My whoring and daubing:
    http://olicanalad.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Great looking armies, James! I don’t imagine I’ll ever have half that many Republican Romans. But watch out for our Partizan game, there will be quite a few of those Roman blighters there, if all my mates turn up. 🙂

I seem to remember you fielding quite a few for your Zama game, Simon.

My whoring and daubing:

Participant

Zama? Pah. Skirmish. 😉

Participant

For James; I took some shots of trees and vegetation in the Trasimene area.  Perhaps useful if you tackle it again, one day.  Far more trees than I had imagined… photos of individual trees on the blog.

Bigredbatcave

Wow Simon, you lucky git. How did you get your missus to go for that. I tried, but mine was having none of it, I had to settle for a trip to Rome. Tell me, what time of year was that? It looks pretty green. Blimey, that really is a defile by the lake isn’t it. Hannibal, my hero, but even I might have seen the possibilities of an ambush here.

Yes, much is made of the spurs in which H. hid his troops. I wonder how much the terrain has changed? I bet not much. It was a pretty wild area then – not that many people – so I can’t imagine that the land was required for farming. Very much ‘fringe’ areas for farming on the hills.

And yes, if I do it again I will have more trees. I have more now but, I might need even more. Any excuse for buying more trees is a good one (my missus doesn’t see the need, and would just like to see them more widely spaced!). Thanks, I’m going to show her this picture and say that it was you who sent it to me!

My whoring and daubing:

Participant

Hi James,

I must say that I had no idea we were so close to Trasimene until a week before the holiday, it was a happy coincidence.  Next year, I would very much like to visit Rome, or perhaps Istanbul…  However I find a suitable strategy is to pick one’s battlefield (quietly), and then find a compelling touristic reason to visit the locality.  🙂  I’d love to visit Chaeronea one day

The photos were taken last Friday.  The weather (before our visit) had been unseasonably wet, so everything was rather greener than it would normally be at this time of year.  The hills are fairly steep and wooded; just the place for one’s Gauls.   Although the tree canopy is thick, I don’t imagine that the woods would be particularly hard to move through, although keeping formation would be out of the question, and cavalry would need to lead their horses.  The woods would likely conceal troops marking down from the ridge.

A steep-tree lined slope would make a great backdrop for a future game…

Best, Simon

Participant

James,

I have said it before and I will say it again your blog is an inspiration!!

I have nearly completed my Carthaginian Army and am awaiting the War and Empires Kickstarter to be released so that I can build my Roman Army!  I will be following your lead on painting.

Thanks

Bunny

Rome is absolutely worth the visit. I was there in May. One of the best city breaks I’ve ever taken. I think May is a good month to go – about 20C was good for walking around all day and the crowds were manageable at most historical sites (though the line for the Vatican still took about two hours).

My whoring and daubing:

Participant

JEalous; I particularly want to see the Appian way, and the fortifications.  And the rest!    Some day I want to go all Belisarian.

Yes definitely one to do out of season.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.