Home Forums Ambush Alley Games Force on Force Force on Force – Interwar Modifications

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Splod
    Participant

I’m looking to use Force on Force to game some VBCW/interwar games and was wondering whether anyone else had used FoF in this way before?
    I’ve got the WW2 modifications from 1ed currently available as a download from the AAG website, but am looking for what else may be required to use the rules for the interwar period. In drawing on published materials, I’ve got all the 2nd Ed published materials except for ‘Classified’ and ‘Day of the Rangers: Somalia 1993’. I am however open to house-rules not contained within existing materials.

One factor I’d considered was forcing militia or irregular units to act as larger ‘squads’ rather than fire teams, to reflect the issues with command and control. I also considered whether militia forces would not be able to access weapon team bonuses as they lacked the appropriate training. This would allow some distinction between irregular forces, and those with military experience.

I’d love to see what work others have already done, or hear any suggestions people may have.

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

I was thinking the same, but different. I have but haven’t read the WWII supplement. Just gave it a very fast brush just now and it appears to have some period and force specific rules and some “this weapon is treated as this” kind of things.

I was thinking along the same lines for WWII Italian troops. Somewhere I read they were organized (at some point, or certain troops) into two very large sections per platoon (something like 20 men each) with (a) separate machinegun section. This may have come from Chain of Command, some discussion on it’s forum or elsewhere.

I also am looking at these rules for the Soviet Afghan war. With no specific organization for the Mujahideen, especially early war, I also am thinking of creating very large “units” as well. This is because the period saw the Afghan resistance using mostly bolt action rifles, a combination of Lee Enfields and Khyber Pass rifles.

Since the rules limit you to a maximum of 10 dice for lower quality units getting your unit’s size up to where it can use 10 dice (both for attack and defense) can be a big help. For units larger than 10 figures the additional dice may seem wasted but that unit’s ability to stay in combat and maintain the 10 dice through some casualties may prove beneficial.

Please note I only played a few games of FoF and they were over a year ago so some aspects of the rules are sketchy in my mind and I might have interpreted or missed points which would affect these ideas. Also check out the original Ambush Alley which was designed from the start with regular troops vs irregulars as the basis for actions. Some aspects are different than FoF and may prove more acceptable or usable in a VBCW or interwar civil war action.

With a little searching many AA and FoF titles can be found and downloaded on line.

maggico
    Participant

I think that the issue is to have leaders or not in these larger squads. The problems with irregulars is not your number (ok, with the 10 dice cap) but hte ability to deliver command to these squads. An irregular unit without a leader must have a TQ check to act, unless a leader be in LoS. This limit the actions that an irregular squad can do.

Yes the Italian Army, in the WW2, had the Plotone Fucilieri divided in 4 squads. Two Gruppi Fucilieri of 10 men each and 2 Gruppi Mitragliatrici of 10 men each, with two Breda 30 in each squad.

Papasan
    Participant

… One factor I’d considered was forcing militia or irregular units to act as larger ‘squads’ rather than fire teams, to reflect the issues with command and control. I also considered whether militia forces would not be able to access weapon team bonuses as they lacked the appropriate training. This would allow some distinction between irregular forces, and those with military experience. I’d love to see what work others have already done, or hear any suggestions people may have.

Irregular units don’t work as fire teams per se but in groups of what’s available. Generally any unit with more than the ten firepower points cap is wasting the excess; irregular units with ten or more men can be overwhelming against a regular 4 man fireteam as they are hard to whittle down and defend against, particularly if all ten dice score,  so I’d caution against changing that dynamic.
    Irregular units don’t generally get the weapon team bonus anyway, unless the scenario specifies it, for the reasons you’ve stated.

In the past, on the old forum, there were many examples of the FoF rules being used for earlier periods than WW2, so you should be able to adjust them  for for interwar years of VBCW fairly easily. Check the differences between the old WW2 FoF & the later Osprey version.

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

I kind of like the dynamic of very large irregular units having to be whittled away. Even if they are unable to function for periods without leaders their mere existence creates issues for the regulars. I keep thinking in respect to the area I have played FoF and them, the Soviet Afghan war. The Soviet player can insert good troops but very large Mujaheddin units may have an accurate effect in the way they play wrt how effective they were. Food for thought IMHO. Opinions please.

Papasan
    Participant

It’s an OK dynamic all the time you can bring firepower to bear with Overwatch units and such but if they fail, lose LOS, or, you don’t have the numbers to counter, my experience is it can make for a short game for the regulars, particularly if the TQ is the same or the irregs have high morale.
    I try to take out any irregular unit with 10 FP or a large group asap, sometimes I pull it off but if the dice don’t go my way it can become a bad day at the office very quickly.

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

Sounds like you have the hands on experience. It also sounds like reality, not necessarily a fun game. Thank you for your insights.

Papasan
    Participant

I have been known to get into it, as well as step into it, on occasion…! 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.