Home Forums General General Forum Etiquette

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Keymaster

So let us say Alex starts a topic asking if the Angel Barracks RDF HARD suits would work as GW Terminator stand ins.
    And Angel Barracks comes along and replies saying yes probably.

Is it then cool for Sam to come along and suggest a different companies models?

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Mike. Reason: Thanks Bronshtein
    zippyfusenet
    Participant

It’s fine with me.

If it isn’t fine with someone, what are they going to do about it?

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

irishserb
    Participant

I think that it is acceptable.  While it may not be a direct answer to the question asked, it doesn’t strike me as inherently malicious, and may open the OP up to models that he was not aware of, and may in fact, prefer to those that he was asking about.  It seems to me to be potentially helpful and related information.

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

So long as they don’t slag off Angel Barracks while doing it, yes.

GeoffQRF
    Participant

It may be different if Angel Barracks was saying ‘Look, we just released RDF Hard Suits’, and Sam then advertised other products, but generally if a customer is asking for suitable models to use I’d say it is fine.

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Darryl Smith
    Participant

Wow, beginning to think that TWW is no longer the place for me, since this is a pretty obvious reference to a post I made a short while ago.

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com/
    http://foragecaps.blogspot.com/
    http://germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com/

Mike
    Keymaster

Not at all. I had an email complaint about it. Saying it was uncool. But I wanted to see what most people think. And most people have no issue so all is good.

Don Glewwe
    Participant

… so all is good.

Except, of course, for this assault on pedantic nerves:

” …a different companies models?”

https://brawlfactory.net/

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Wow, beginning to think that TWW is no longer the place for me, since this is a pretty obvious reference to a post I made a short while ago.

Please, stick around.  This is a place for everyone. 🙂

Mr. Average
    Participant

I would think it’s fine. Context is key though. It’s one thing to say “Those would work well with these” and quite another to say “His minis are crap, use mine instead.” One would be fine, the other not.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Mike:

Is not the purpose of the forum to share information? If Angel Barracks minis work, great. But if there are other company’s minis equal or better to the task then they should be mentioned too and then let each reader make up their own mind.

Daryl:

TWW is still comparatively young and is still finding its legs. Please don’t be put off by this as it’s just part of crawling up the learning curve of forum decorum and policy. TWW is a very cool place where people try to be cool to each other. However, even the most innocent posts can occasionally draw the ire of some folks. You’re welcome and you’re valued here, so please don’t let this put you off.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Fine by me.

I don’t have a problem with respectful suggestions for alternative figures from other companies.  Most gamers mix and match ranges anyway.  Even a different range of hard suits would provide adversaries for Angel Barracks hard suit figures.  As mentioned above, be respectful and don’t slag other companies.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Mike
    Keymaster

Is not the purpose of the forum to share information?

Absolutely, I don’t have any strong feelings either way and thought nothing of it until the complaint was received.
    Given I have no strong feelings either way I was not sure how to respond to the complaint, but now furnished with feedback from the community I can reply, and have.

So thank you all.

Mike
    Keymaster

You’re welcome and you’re valued here, so please don’t let this put you off.

Very much this.
    I particularly liked the Hover vs Tracks post you recently did.

Mike
    Keymaster

Staying on topic and about etiquette, and this time not based on feedback…

Do we all agree that sharing of PM’s in public is uncool without permission from the other party?

Mike
    Keymaster

She’s your partner, I would just scowl at her in real life

LOL.

maybe I meant Sam Gamgee…  😀

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Mike. Reason: forgot to lol
    Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Do we all agree that sharing of PM’s in public is uncool without permission from the other party?

Always.

If something problematic gets sent to you in a PM I think it would only be ok to share it with a Mod.

Rob young
    Participant

A call for information that results in a simple yes or no can be an incomplete answer. I would say that giving alternatives adds to the value of the answer. Likewise, I would consider it OK to add constructive comments – ‘figure x is fine but a bit smaller than y’, ‘figure x is fine but costs more’ would be examples.

Re making any email conversation public – generally not good, but if someone publicly has a go at me over something that started from an email conversation then I would have no compunction about releasing relevant parts of that email conversation as a rebuttal.

Regards

Rob

Rob Young

GeoffQRF
    Participant

Lets drag that elephant out 🙂

I think this is related to the thread about using QRF figures as substitute Poles. Darryl (quite rightly, in my opinion) mentioned that another company offered some modern Poles – to be honest, he beat me to it a bit as I was trying to recall who else did them when I wrote my post and I couldn’t remember or I’d have suggested them! (Actually I was thinking of Odzial who also has some lovely Poles). You may be able to detect from my post that I wasn’t entirely sure how suitable my own figures were, as they were designed more with Estonians, Latvians and generic African nations in mind than Polish paras!

The question seems to have been raised (by a third party, not by me) to the moderator/site owner whether it was cool to mention another company’s (especially for Don) range. Mike did ask me if I had a problem with it. I said no. It may have been different if it was me advertising my new range of Poles, and someone had advertised a competing range all over it. Maybe. I need to be a big boy and accept that there are others out there who also have good figures and ultimately it is the customer’s choice. 😉

Darryl, you’ve been unfortunate. It wasn’t really directed at you per se, so much as a generic question that sprang off something you said. I think Mike was right to put the question out there and get a bit of a feeling how other forum members felt, in a generic sense. The general opinion seems to be that it was all fine. Like i said the other time, no harm, no foul. Please do continue to post, as you have some really good stuff well worth sharing.

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Something I am only slowly coming to realize is that our hobby has a lot of people on some point of the autism spectrum. I am not saying any posters here are on the spectrum, but if they are, it is normal. Which means that some of the violation of etiquette/rules might not be per se malicious our on purpose. So a bit of flexibility is always needed.

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

Axel Oxenstierna

kyoteblue
    Participant

Just be kind to each other.

Etranger
    Participant

If someone asks about suitable figures then surely any potential range can be mentioned without offence being taken.

That’s a different case from Company A announcing a new range as a news release and someone else coming along and saying “no, Company Z’s are much better” (I didn’t use Company B as they are a blameless real company!) . If it’s so necessary to compare the 2 ranges then start a new thread for the purpose.and make constructive criticism!

And PMs are just that, private!

McKinstry
    Participant

I am always grateful when people offer me added options. I may ask if XYZ & Company makes something that will fill a need but if I’m unaware that two others do as well, I’m the better for anyone offering the  additional information.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

I like that this seems to be the closest we come to a heated argument.  Which has to be either excellent moderation or an unusually good quality of posters.  Or both. 🙂

zippyfusenet
    Participant

“Do we all agree that sharing of PM’s in public is uncool without permission from the other party?”

Everyone seems to think so. Likewise personal emails. Again, what effective recourse do you think you have?

“Teacher! Teacher! Tommy forwarded the naked pictures I sent him to *everybody*! Make him take it back!”

The internet is forever. Dance like nobody is watching. Email like a District Attorney will enter it into evidence.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Rob young
    Participant

Autistic spectrum, you’re talking about 1% of the population! ADHD is probably about 4-5%! However, there are lots of other ‘disorders’ around in the population, plus different cultural and social beliefs, etc. So if some people have different ways of behaving on a particular site – well, yes, it is only to be expected. Realistically, it makes sense for all people in a particular ‘club’ to have a set of values/behaviours that generally match the set of values/behaviours of the other members of that ‘club’ in the context of the club. So, in one club setting, x annd y may be ‘compatible’ with the club, z isn’t, in a different club setting it may be y and z are compatible while x is the ‘outsider’

That’s life.

Rob Young

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Staying on topic and about etiquette, and this time not based on feedback… Do we all agree that sharing of PM’s in public is uncool without permission from the other party?

That’s implicit in the ‘Private’ part of Private Message I’d have thought.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

I think if it was an official announcement of a new figure line, then it’d be pretty tacky to bring up competitors, but in the context of “Hey guys, I am looking for some figures for this”, I can’t see the problem.
    Ditto for my own game rules, I might add 🙂

Just be polite and make sure to read what OP is all about.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Oh no….
    Participant

By the sound of it, it was meant as a helpful suggestion. So in that context, I’d say it was to be welcomed.

If it was a case of “yours are rubbish” but “mine are ace” then the poster shows themselves up as a cad and outright bounder!

Norm S
    Participant

Everything is about context. I suppose in the example, Alex is making a specific enquiry to a company rather than a general enquiy to the forum, so I can see the potential crack that Mike feels has been exposed by the complaint he received. The complainant clealry sees it as an issue – while seemingly the rest of us are happy to deal with Alex as though he has made his enquiry public and in doing so by implication invites the help and suggestions of others.

Point 2 – the e-mail, sharing a private e-mail in a public space is at best bad form.

Darryl – Mike is a good and fair moderator and clearly in this situation he has something that needs to be bottomed for consistency sake alone, he has come to the community as part of his management style. There is a good and friendly vibe here, I hope you hang around.

Anyway …. back to the toys!

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Also how can I get in on this “naked photos” PM business?

Nordic Weasel Games

Mike
    Keymaster

Also how can I get in on this “naked photos” PM business?

Careful what you wish for…

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Yikes!

Nordic Weasel Games

I thinks it fine to offer alternatives if someone is asking a question as long as no one is bagging a range or trying to “up sell” another range like that episode “somewhere else sometime ago”.

Darryl Smith
    Participant

Thanks all for the kind words. And Geoff certainly knows that I intended no harm…I agree with most, I would rather have all options mentioned to me as I might have forgotten or was unaware of other possibilities.

Thanks!!!

Buckeye Six Actual
    https://ambushedinthealley.blogspot.com/
    http://foragecaps.blogspot.com/
    http://germancolonialgaming.blogspot.com/

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Staying on topic and about etiquette, and this time not based on feedback… Do we all agree that sharing of PM’s in public is uncool without permission from the other party?

That’s implicit in the ‘Private’ part of Private Message I’d have thought.

Doh! And there you go using language as if the words actually meant something!

Rob young
    Participant

‘Do we all agree that sharing of PM’s in public is uncool without permission from the other party?’

Yes, with the proviso that if the other party were to put items in the public domain relating to the PM then, in some cases, I would say ‘you’ve said publicly  that I said …. and that makes me look bad, in PMs you’ve said the opposite, frankly, in self defence, as far as I’m concerned your public statements need refuting and, as I consider your PMs to be part of that public statement, I’m considering that you have also put your PMs into the public domain.’

I would hope, though, that this would be a very rare occurance, and normally wouldn’t happen.

Rob Young

Mike
    Keymaster

One thing to consider is the reason for us being here.
    Games.
    Not to express our grace with English, as long as people understand what the other is saying then all is good.
    There really is nothing to be gained from pointing out grammatical errors from others.

There is nothing to stop you though, unless it makes the place less cool to be, then I will be grumpy at you.
    But at the same time, does it actually add to the conversation?

Correcting someone when they say the Nazi’s did this, when they mean the Nazis did this, adds nothing.
    Correcting someone when they say the Natzis did this, when they mean Nazis, is ok, in my book anyway, but at the same time, we all know what they meant..
    Shatner comma.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Well that and we have several posters who aren’t Anglo and have different first languages 😉

Nordic Weasel Games

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.