Home Forums General General Foundry and Coat D’arms paints query

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    GrimheartGrimheart
    Participant

Hi,

I have been using Coat D’arms paints for a fair while but recently have been getting tempted by the Foundry triad paints.

As a casual painter any thing that makes painting a bit easier looks good to me, especially as I am painting more 28mm than 6mm these days so shading is more of a concern.

The initial outlay and higher cost is not really a factor, having the same types of pots is a plus for me.

So does anyone have experience of both lines of paints and how do they compare quality wise?

Opinions welcomed!

Regards

Steve

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Radar
    Participant

I use both of them. Happy with both brands, pretty much interchangeable and identical. But then you would expect them to be seeing as they are both made in the same factory. (As are P3, RailMatch, and I think the current crop of Humbrol acrylics)

(Although I might possibly slightly prefer Foundry as they have a bigger range of colours)

McKinstry
    Participant

I use them both and have been pleased with both. Some Foundry triads are, for me, particularly useful such as the Austrian Napoleonic  white with just enough variation to make working in contrast on nearly all white uniforms easier.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

fairoaks024fairoaks024
    Participant

I use both, but have to say that several of the cost d’arms ones I bought were significantly sub par, Being very transparent, a problem I’ve never had with foundry.

Also I paint in the Base-mid tone- highlights school, so foundry triads save me a lot of time.

teppsta
    Participant

I recently “discovered” Howard’s Hues” which I like very much. Some very nice natural looking colours (especially for horses)

GrimheartGrimheart
    Participant

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Looks like I will try them out.

Cheers

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I use both, but have to say that several of the cost d’arms ones I bought were significantly sub par, Being very transparent, a problem I’ve never had with foundry.

I found this with CDA, but then I have had the same with Vallejo.
    I just put it down to a bad batch?

bobmbobm
    Participant

I use both.  I’ve had issues with some more recent replacement Foundry colours being transparent that were fully opaque previously.  Worth noting that Foundry 20ml whereas CDA are 18ml…

There's 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.....

Sane MaxSane Max
    Participant

I have been meaning to talk about CDA paints for a while but didn’t want to start something if it was just me. But it seems not to be just me.

I have been using them for years, but recently bought a full set of fantasy colours as I was sick of picking through my collection looking for something. So I retired all my paints and bought a full set.

They are not just sub par – they are a pain in the arse. Not thin – just no colour in them. Watery is not right, they just don’t seem to have anough pigment in them anymore. I assume they have changed the formula as I had no problem with them before, I really won’t be buying them again.

RANT OVER 🙂

jeffersjeffers
    Participant

My experience with acrylics:

Wouldn’t waste my money on CdA again. I have only bought a few pots from them and every one has been poor. Doesn’t surprise me if they supply Humbrol, which is likewise poor.

I bought the full Foundry set when they first came out and returned half because they were like water (although I’m still using most of the remainder after 25-odd years). Horse colours are good but they are too patchy for me to invest in.

Howard’s Hues dried out quicker than Humbrol enamel! Another waste of money.

Craft Shop (Americana, etc) are good for scenery were you need thin and cheap, but no good for figures.

Army Painter: spray = great, bottle = worse than any of the above.

Never had a problem with Vallejo, so they remain my paint of choice and my recommendation to everybody.

PS Nobody seems able to get a handle on yellow, though!

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

I had the full 140 paint paint set from CDA some are very nice. But foundry is easier.

That said some of the foundry stuff isn’t that good either. Many colours are quite shiny,  and some don’t  over well. Their napoleonic lines are very good. And for MANY years their Union blue triad was my go to colour for anything dark blue(with a highlight of CDA fester blue)

Some of the CDA colours have changed, the aforementioned Fester blue is not the same I got 10 years ago.

Most of what I use now is a mix of reaper miniatures (some of their colours are great like the ivory is perfect for prussians  SYW cuirassiers and I use their wood triad exclusively for my muskets,  and their red leather triad is fanatic) with Andrea  colors (superb,  white, blue, red, black sets) these are 6 colour sets but unless you really want to paint for a long time. 3 of them are usually enough.

I also use AK paints.

I use both of them. Happy with both brands, pretty much interchangeable and identical. But then you would expect them to be seeing as they are both made in the same factory. (As are P3, RailMatch, and I think the current crop of Humbrol acrylics) (Although I might possibly slightly prefer Foundry as they have a bigger range of colours)

I had no idea 12ml CDA and 20ml Foundry paints were made in the same factory…

CDA are my go to range*, as I started off with Citadel, and though I do like Foundry, their price hikes on paints and increase in shipping, has dissuaded me from ordering more than once or twice a year. Haven’t purchased CDA in over a year, so no idea about the decline in quality – has anyone contacted Black Hat?

*mail ordered, as the only brands available locally are from GW.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.