Home Forums WWII FOW Barbarossa.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have started a FOW Barbarossa game for June 1941, on my 4×6 foot game table in my 3 car garage/man cave. This is the first time in almost 10 years I have been able to do this.

I have all my own Germans and Russian troops and Tanks.

You may envy me now.

Participant

I hope your garage is nice and warm. If so I envy you, if not, I don’t.

Participant

I have a space heater.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

Enough with the gloating already, give us details. What Soviet troops did you field? What German forces attacked them? Were T-35’s or T-28E’s used? Dish the details.

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

The Soviets have an Infantry Co. with Mortars , Machine Guns and Anti-tank Guns in support. Defending a line of wire and minefields. The Germans have a Tank Company  of Pz II, Pz III and PzIV with 8 Rads Armored Cars as scouts. The Germans also have Air. I will feed in reinforcements to both sides as the game goes on.

I don’t worry about army lists or points to much as I have been gaming for years/ and gaming FOW from 2005 till now. So I have an idea about what should work for a good game and balance be damned.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

No T-35’s or T-28’s? Sigh. The game sounds interesting, especially if the Germans have no infantry to support their armoured attack. This could get pretty sticky for the Germans if the Soviet morale holds and they stick around to fight. Clearing infantry positions with tanks alone is very difficult. Good luck!

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

I have some T-28s and Russian Armored Cars (and tons of T-34’s) which the Russians may get as reinforcements. The Germans will likely get Infantry Support later as well. I just want to see if the Germans can do a rush on the Russian Inf. or if it will take Infantry to open the lines.

Participant

I look forward to some proper battle reports, complete with *photographs* 😉

And, to be honest, WWII is definitely great, but personally I want to see Sultan of Ifat with NEIS.  And yes, someday I need to get up there for a game (I actually haven’t been up your way in a few months).

Take care Old Man.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

I will try to post battle reports but still no pics.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

Yes, do tell. Merry Christmas to you and yours in your new home.

Cheers.

Rod Robertson

Participant

Kyote,

Have you got a scanner?  If you do, we’re gonna need you to sketch the fights at certain key points in the action, then scan them in, to accompany your batreps 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

No scanner. I’ll just give a description of the battle fields .

Participant

Turn 1 Germans as attackers get first move, roll for air support (5 dice need a five or six ) get a 6 so they have air support. Roll air support die get 3 plane flight.  Russians roll for air interception (3 dice need a six.) no sixes. Stukas will bomb right hand Russian inf. platoon.

The Germans are attacking east along a shallow valley. Small hills on either side of the valley with small woods and fields.  At the end of the valley is the Russian front line wire and two mine fields.  There are 4 houses and two enclosed fields where the Russians have 4, 45 mm AT guns and 4 heavy machine guns dug in and concealed. A line of 6, 82mm mortars dig in and concealed with a spotter.  The two inf. platoons are on the north and south sides of the table. They are concealed but not dug in.

4×6 foot table playing up the 6 foot with a 4 foot front.

Germans send 2, 8 rad Armored cars east to scout the Russian front line. The Pz II s on the south and Pz III on the north.  with the Pz IV and Stugs in the center along with the Command Pz III. only the 8 rads are in range to fire but scout and roll a 4 (needed a 3 or better) to spot the 45mm AT guns. ( Stugs and Pz IV can fire as arty next turn).

Stukas have 18 inf stands under the bomb/arty template and need 4 or better to hit. It’s a 3 plane flight so it will re-roll misses. I roll 16 hits with the re-roll and the Russians save all but 5 stands and the platoon is pinned down.

Russian turn one,  Russian inf. platoon rolls to un-pin they need a 3 or better ( Morale is Fearless.) they roll a 3 so un-pin. Both inf. platoons move forward into small woods. The 45mm AT guns fire at the 2, 8 rads and need 4 or better to hit. each gun has a rate of fire of 3 so a total of 12 shots and get 6 hits on the 8 rads. However as the 8 rads are scouts they roll against their skill with is a 3 or better, (roll a 4 ) so can dis-engage 16 inches and spend the next turn reorganizing. The rest of the Russians forces hold fire and stay gone to ground.

The Russians roll one die for a 6 for reinforcements (5 T-28’s and 1 BT-7) but roll a 1 so no reinforcements this turn.

So ends turn One.

Participant

Cheering for the commies of course 🙂 Sounds like a fun game.

Participant

Again I am not playing straight FOW rules. So I have units that do not fit into the Army Lists but do fit the real history. Turn 2 later today.

Participant

Turn 2, Germans roll 4 dice for air and get air, a two plane flight. Russian roll  2 dies to intercept , fail.  The Stukas will bomb the Russian 45mm AT Guns.  PzIIs and Pz IIIs both move forward and hide behind hills. Stugs and 2 ic move up and hide behind a house. The PzIV s and 1ic stay put and the PzIV bombard the Russian 45mm AT Guns. They range in on the first attempt. They have 3 guns and a command team under the template. They hit 3 guns and the command team ,but as a two gun battery they re-roll hits. so hit 1 gun and the command team.

The Russian command team saves but the gun does not. Germans need a 6 for fire power and roll a 1. So the Russian guns are only pined down.

German Stukas also bomb the Russian guns and get 3 hits but the Russians get lucky and save all the hits.

Germans storm trooper forward.

Russians roll 2 dice for reinforcement’s needing a 5 or 6 and get one 5 so will receive one unit. They have 3 units Tanks, Armored cars or Arty. I roll the tanks. The Russians get 5 T-26’s and a BT-7.

Russians roll to un-pin the AT Guns but fail so go to ground. Left inf. platoon digs in and the right moves up to take cover in a small woods and behind a house.

Tanks move up on the right but stay hidden behind woods and houses.

The Russians have been very lucky this turn and taken no casualty’s.

So ends turn 2/

Participant

Germans turn 3, roll 5 dice for air and get it, Russians roll and fail to intercept it. Roll air support die 3 plane flight. It will target the Russian tanks. Pz II’s move up and fire at the left Russian Inf platoon. and get two kills. The 8rads and Pz III’s move up on their left. The 8rads fire MG’s at the right Russian Inf platoon and also get two kills. The PzIII’s fire at the Russian tanks and get two hits but the Russian tanks make their armor saves. The Stugs move up and the Pz IV’s fire as arty at the Russian 45mm AT guns get two hits but both guns save. But they are pinned down. Stukas target the Russian Command tank hit it and an Inf stand Kill the stand but the tank makes it armor save.

Again the Russians have been very lucky.

I’ll get the Russian turn in later.

Participant

Russian turn 3, I roll for reinforcement’s 3 dice and get one 6. and then roll for Armored Cars or Arty. I get the Arty  4 122mm guns ( I’m using Across the Volga, so don’t need to put the models on the table just a spotter stand.) I then roll to un-pin the right Inf platoon and the 45mm AT guns. both un-pin !! The right Inf. platoon digs in and goes to ground. The tanks move up to get shots on the 8rads and Pz III’s  The Arty comes first and range in on the first try targeting the PzIV’s and CinC. but only get 1 hit. The PzIV’s top armor and armor save shrug off the hit. However the Arty is ranged in and will hit automatically next turn unless the PzIV’s move. next the 45mm AT guns split their fire 9 shots against the PzII’s and 3 against the 8rads. 2 hits on the PzII’s which make their armor save and shrug off the hits. 2 hits against the 8rads one hit is saved but the other is not so the 45mm ATgun makes it’s fire power and kills one of the 8rads. ( Note because the 8rads fired at the right Inf platoon they do get to do a disengage check) The T-26’s get two hits on the Pz III’s but both save.

Turn 4 coming soon!!

Participant

Kyoteblue:

Maybe I’m just ignorant, but you have lost me with the use of the word “Brad” with respect to the German Army of 1941. What is a “Brad”? I looked it up on Google and came up with nothing. The battle sounds interesting to date but more details are necessary. For example what are the numbers and types of the German armour? Will the Russians receive T-26’s (Turn 2 description) or T-28E’s (Turn 1 description)? Are the Soviet 122mm Howitzers SP guns or deployed artillery?

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

The 8 wheeled German Armored Car not Brad. 8 rad. I miss identified the Russian tanks should be T-26’s  the Russian 122 mm guns are towed. The Germans have two command Pz III’s  one platoon of 3 Pz III’s one platoon of 5 Pz II’s one platoon of  2 Pz IV’s and one platoon of 2 Stugs. and the one platoon of 2 8 wheeled armored cars. The CinC Pz III is with the 2 Pz IV’s and the 2 ic is with the Stugs.

Participant

Kyoteblue:

8rad huh? I guess I’m looking pretty foolish right now. Sorry to burden you with my unreliable visual acuity on this accursed I-Pad . The battle is very interesting so far. Excellent up-dated information. Now I can more clearly imagine what is going on. Please do keep posting.

Cheers

Blind Roddy Robertson.

Participant

German turn 4 coming soon, how ever if your on  Facebook as I am my friend April took some photos of this game and posted them on my time line. So if you want to see some not very good

pictures I’m Jonathan Keepers on Facebook. and no I do not know how to post them here.

Participant

Keyoteblue:

Sorry, not on Facebook or My Space or any of them new-fangled digital social networking sites. Tried to access your account but to now avail so I shall just keep using my imagination.

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Darn the luck, Rod.

Turn 4 Germans roll 4 dice for air support but fail to roll any 5 or 6’s no air support this turn. ( You can hear the cheers of the Soviets faintly.) The German Armored Car having lost it’s mate, move ‘s back behind the small hills and woods. The Pz III’s move up past the one burning Armored Car, to the Russians left mine field to get shot against the T-26’s  they roll 3 shots and get 3 hits. Kill one T-26 out right and bail out the other 2. The Pz II’s again fire at the right hand Russian Inf Platoon but only get 4 hits 2 save the other two are killed by fire power. The Stugs and 2inC Pz III  move up and fire but get no hits. The Pz IV’s and C in C Pz III move closer but have no shots.

Participant

Russian turn 4, Roll to see if the two bailed tanks remount. One does the other does not.  Tanks move up. Arty targets the Pz II’s fires and has 3 hits. but two fail their armor save one is killed but the Arty fails a fire power check and the other is bailed. Russian tanks fire 4 shots get 2 hits but both Pz III’s pass their armor saves. 45mm AT Guns split their fire 6 shots at the Pz II’s and 3 hits one fails its armor save and the AT gun makes its fire power. So it is destroyed. the other 2 one fails it’s armor save but the AT guns fails it’s fire power so it’s bailed The last makes it’s armor save.  So the Pz II’s have two killed and two bailed out of 5. So will need a morale check.  I roll a 1 and needed a 4 or better. The Pz II’s bug out.  The other  45mm AT guns fire 6 shots at the Pz III’s and get two hits but both tanks make their armor save.  The Russians cheer !!!! The Germans are not amused.

Turn 5 soon.

Participant

German turn 5, Roll for 3 dice for air support and get it. Roll for air craft and get a 3 plane flight. Russian roll for air interception and a 6 !! So the Germans air support is shot down by the Heroes of The Red Air Force !!!

But all is not well for the Russians. The Pz III’s fire 6 shots at the Russian tanks and kill one bailing two others,  The Tanks are below half and take a moral test they need a 3 or better and roll another 6 !!! Urrah !!!

The Pz IV and C in C Pz III fire at the 45 mm AT guns and get 4 hits none of the guns save and the Germans make 3 fire powers so the 45 mm At guns have one gun and a command team left and are below half, and the Russians need a 3 or better and roll a 5 !!!

Finally the Stugs and 2 in C Pz III fire at the Russian right hand  Inf platoon get 4 hits and the Russian save 2 but fire power takes out 2. They are not yet below half so don’t need a moral check .

Russian turn 5 coming soon.

Participant

Russian turn 5, Russians roll 4 reinforcement dice get a 6 and bring on their last reserve 5 BA-10 armored cars. That is the last reinforcement they have. Roll to remount the 3 bailed tanks and all make it !!! They are Heroes of Mother Russia!!! The 122mm Arty ranges in on the Stugs on the first roll and has both Stugs and the   2 in C Pz III under the templet  and hit all 3 !! The 2 in C makes his armored save but both Stugs fail and the 122mm make their fire power so the Stugs are destroyed. The single 45mm AT gun fires at the Pz III platoon on the far right and get two hits The Pz III makes one armored save and fails the other the 45 mm AT gun makes its fire power !! so one of the three Pz III’s is destroyed. The 4 T-26’s all fire with out moving and get two shots each. I roll 8 dice and get 3 hits on the remaining 2 Pz III’s  Neither make their armored saves !!! I roll for fire power one fire power passed the other two fail. so one more Pz III dies and the other is double bailed. and must make a morale check and I roll a 1 !!! so it runs away !!

The Germans are down to the C in C, 2 in C , one 8 rad (AC) and the two Pz IV’s so are below half for company morale !!! The Germans need a 4 or better for morale and I roll another 1 !!!

Germans lose and Russians hold !!!

German High Command is not happy.

Thanks every one for commenting and following the action.

I also painted the 5 BA-10 and finished up my Russian anti-tank rifles and engineers .  So I really feel good about this.

Next Game will pit A new German Tank and Arty company  V the remains of the Russian Inf company,  which will not receive any reinforcements.

Participant

Oorah! Glad to see you finished the game and had a great time.

Participant

Thanks Ivan, I’ll start the next game later tonight or tomorrow.

Participant

You just let the Russians win to impress Ivan, buncha commies 😉

I guess it turned out about as expected as the Germans had no infantry.  The Russian tanks did better than I expected, but their arty really seemed to clean up.

I still don’t know much about FoW, and have nothing against them, but you need to get with the program: we’re playing 5Core Company Command now, Sir. 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Mother Russia prevails except when the capitalists cheat 🙂

I am assuming you have your game set up permanently now Kyote?

I wish I could do that but the cats would pounce on it. Same reason I don’t tend to get as much board game time as I’d like :/

Participant

“Mother Russia prevails except when the capitalists cheat”

How dare you, Sir!

Participant

Just Jack, I did not let the Commies win. they took losses but got very lucky on some die rolls.  Had the Red Air force not shot down the last Stuka flight the game would have gone the other way.

I do have the 5 Core Company Commander but have not been able to down load and make a hard copy of it. Guess I need a new computer wizard. Maybe I could Craig list that.

Yes my table is set up in the man cave, so I don’t have to take it down.  Pearl the wonder dog likes to walk under the table but leaves the toys alone. Don’t have a cat right now but plan on getting a couple later this same year.

Ivan get a cardboard box or two and set them next to your table. Cats love boxes…

Participant

Actually one of the cats likes to try and steal miniatures. The other likes sitting on dice. I think she figures they’ll hatch into kittens if she nests on them 🙂

I might try setting up something to deter them. We’ve been meaning to get a new cat tree anyways.

Participant

Great game John (I am only just catching up on some of the threads).  A lot of early War Russian tanks there.  Jack and you have nearly convinced me to get some but I am still resisting.

Participant

Do you lack belief in the superiority of the T26 and the inevitability of repelling the fascist hordes?

Participant

I am thinking about getting some of the Gamemodel T-26’s T-28’s and a couple of T-35’s  at 5 bucks each.

Participant

Ivan – I do not lack belief in the communist horde. While, like John, I do play to the best of my ability both sides during solo play, I am silently cheering for the Russians when against the Germans in WW2. I am sure that does not cloud my judgement 🙂

My wife’s family are all of Russian descent – my father-in-law was Ukrainian teenager that working on a farm in southern Germany during the War.  My mother-in-law was in Manchuria in a Russian enclave after her (White Russian) parents esacped the motherlans after being on the wrong side in the Russian Revolution.  And then the Chinese revolution saw Mao kick out the Russians.  So I do cheer the Russians!  I am on English descent so tend to cheer the Brits as well.  The poor Germans are never on my good side when playing WW2!

I was looking at the PSC 20mm tanks, but some of the pre-painted models from the Ukraine are not too bad if you buy a few at once to cut down shipping costs.  Stop talking about it – I’ve looked at the pre-paints again!

Participant

You know you want to Shaun…..

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.