Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Silent Invader
    Participant

I’m new to FPW and am looking for cinematic inspiration.

I’ve found and watched the 1987 French movie Champ d’Honneur on YouTube. Does anyone know of any others?

Figure-wise, to get a project started I’ve ordered a couple of boxes of Bavarian Infantry from Eagles of Empire. I doubt I’ll be going the big battles route (too many other projects), focussing instead on patrols, skirmish, etc.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Frankly not really.

There is a (very) short black and white silent film ‘The Last Cartridges’ (1897) you can see here The Last Cartridges on the Internet Archive. It is a very small vignette of the defence of a farmhouse by French soldiers based on a painting but may inspire small unit actions.

As for the rest there is a French West German Film – Die Gans von Sedan (1959) (English title: Without Trumpet or Drum) which is a comedic take on the post Sedan phase. Unlikely to inspire a wargame despite being a not bad film.

Beyond that…

I’m always surprised no-one appears to have filmed Zola’s La Debacle – a sort of buddy film waiting to be made – though obviously a pretty downbeat one given the ending. Some fairly drastic editing should make a really good war movie – or a really sad buddy movie/love story. I guess the problem is there are actually about three film in there minimum.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Frankly not really. There is a (very) short black and white silent film ‘The Last Cartridges’ (1897) you can see here The Last Cartridges on the Internet Archive. It is a very small vignette of the defence of a farmhouse by French soldiers based on a painting but may inspire small unit actions. As for the rest there is a French West German Film – Die Gans von Sedan (1959) (English title: Without Trumpet or Drum) which is a comedic take on the post Sedan phase. Unlikely to inspire a wargame despite being a not bad film. Beyond that… I’m always surprised no-one appears to have filmed Zola’s La Debacle – a sort of buddy film waiting to be made – though obviously a pretty downbeat one given the ending. Some fairly drastic editing should make a really good war movie – or a really sad buddy movie/love story. I guess the problem is there are actually about three film in there minimum.

Film makers have managed to condense War and Peace and Les Miserables. With varying degrees of success 🙂

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Guy Farrish
    Participant

War and Peace?

Bondarchuk – 7 and a half hours!

King Vidor –  3 and half hour love story?!

I refuse to discuss les Mis on the grounds of retaining my sanity.

I still can’t think of any more FPW movies.

Silent Invader
    Participant

Thanks both.

I’m looking for inspiration for time and place, more than for actions to wargame, as it helps me get ‘into’ the period.

The short was interesting. The Goose film sounds very watchable too and I shall try and track it down.

Cheers!

MartinR
    Participant

A little bit earlier but capturing the spirit of the wars of the nineteenth century is The Leopard. A fabulous film and one of Burt Lancaster finest performances. Garibaldi fought in the FPW too, so sort of relevant:)

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

MartinR
    Participant

Another one to look out for is the TV Series “1864” about the Prusso Danish War. It does at least have Prussians in it!

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Silent Invader
    Participant

Many thanks MartinR.

1864 looks especially good – the 5 minute trailer with English subtitles drew me in – so that’s definitely one to watch.

You can also watch the Russian film Turkish Gambit, based on the Boris Ankunin Erast Fnadorin novels (which are worth reading). It is set in the 1877-1878 Russo-Ottoman war, but gives a feel I dare say for the period. There are two older films as well. A Soviet Era film, The Heroes of Shipka, and a Romanian film Pentru Patria . If you want big spectacle these offer it. There are also films about the Latin American wars of the period (War of the Triple Alliance or Lopez War, and War of the Pacific) which also give a nice feel.

But yes, Zola’s Debacles should be made into a series.

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

Axel Oxenstierna

Silent Invader
    Participant

Thank you very much – I’ll check them out

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.