Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Fringe Wars, my Horizon Wars AARs

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Participant

In the interest of collecting what I suspect will become quite a few games of Horizon Wars into a single place, I’ll post all related posts under this topic.

I’ll just link the first AAR for those of you who haven’t seen it http://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/finally-my-first-game-of-horizon-wars/

But now, onwards to new tales untold:

While the NIJA had started their offensive on Churchill III with the partially successful raid on a USS outpost, the USS had not been idle.

Special forces units had been sent into imperial controlled cities and starports, in an attempt to unearth any intel on the troop dispositions and relative strenghts of the imperials on and around the Churchill system.

Most had reported back with little to no success, a few even had to shoot their way out. But now a report had come in from team mike, who had managed to get ahold of some classified reports. Having broken in to a government building turned local Imperial command post in the town of New Cairo, the Mike unit had uncovered intel that might help USS high command.

But they had been discovered.

The call for immediate reinforcement and retrieval of the intel went out as soon as the sitrep came in.
    Unfortunately the Imperials maintain air superiority in the region, and any relief will have to come on the ground..

New Cairo

The surrounded SF unit, team Mike, and all it’s would-be destroyers.

Falling back with the crucial intel, team Mike is hunted through the streets by the enemy command mech.

USS Heavy tank moves up to block the mechs advance, and manages to damage it slightly.

Beset from all sides, the USS command mech steps into the fray, shielding the SF unit as well as he is able.

In a daring attack, a heavy infantry element destroys the blocking heavy cavalry!

Even the best attempts could not save the SF unit, but they did manage to upload some of the intel into the USS tac-net through the CHQ mech.

While retreating, a well-placed AT-rocket attack from Imperial heavy infantry forces the commander to eject from his mech, but not before helping to destroy both enemy light cavalry elements!

A NIJA victory for certain, but the USS did make it out with some of the intel they came for, even if it cost them dearly. Only time will tell if they manage to turn the tables on their Imperial foes..

The full write-up with a few more pics are as always on the blog: http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/05/horizon-wars-intel-retrieval.html

Thanks for reading!

Nice, some good looking stuff.

Is there any chance…. (feel free to say no as it means more work) but is there any chance, you could show us some mechanics in action next time?

what sort of boxes did you use to make the Battletech postered building?

Participant

Thanks πŸ™‚

I think I could do that, I’ll try to remember to note down some rolls and sharing some more stats next time.

That building is made from cassette tape case, with some anti-skid netting for windows. I stole the idea from a gundam blog I read waay back, hope that helps πŸ™‚

Participant

Very nice looking stuff there.

Participant

How do you find the air mechanics? I am too scared to try themailing.

Participant

Thanks steve πŸ™‚

I think they are quite clever, even if I didn’t try a whole lot of risky manuvers. I think I realized that diving down to fire at something and then speed off wasn’t a half bad tactic, but with only a P1 airframe on the table I was somewhat lacking in options. Next time I think I’ll let both sides have some air support and see what unfolds!

That building is made from cassette tape case

I thought it looked like it, but was not sure, cheers!

Participant

While technically not a AAR, these stompy bots are going to feature in the next big battle, so I thought they deserved a spot here anyway:

The new mechs, stomping about my newly constructed buildings.

The NIJA light lance..

..And their USS counterparts.

A few more pics of the mechs and more of the buildings are on the blog: http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/06/light-mechs-and-more-buildings.html

Thanks for looking!

poop, forgot to subscribe to this topic and nearly missed the greatness!

Participant

It happens to the best of us πŸ˜‰

Participant

Some very nice work on those EM4 mechs

Participant

The latest news from the front, this time the ongoing struggle between the NIJA’s Special Armored warfare Development Unit (SADU) and the New Terran Commonwealth (NTC)

Like promised I go into some of the mechanics and workings of the game this time, but it’s quite a chunk so I won’t re-post it all here. It’s all in the post on the blog though πŸ˜‰

The NTC patrol needed to get back to base after a recon mission deep behind the NIJA lines, but close to the border their scanners picked up massive magnetic reading. This could only mean one thing, a SADU force blocking their way.

The strech of old highway where the breakthrough was to be attempted.

The NTC patrol.

SADU blockade.

Deciding not to let the Terrans too close to the border, the SADU mechs speed out to meet them. One is slighty damaged by an incoming shot from a bazooka Warrior.

Before long the first NTC mech erupts as a critical hit is rolled..

..And another.

A quick counter-blow takes out a Turle mech.

But before long, the SADU retaliates with a vengance. It’s becoming clear that the NTC might have gotten more than they bargined for.

In an alltogether too short space of time, the SADU have picked apart most of the NTC mechs. The CHQ makes a valiant last stand in order for the least damaged and only remaining mech to eascape to safety.

Glorious Imperial victory!

This was the first time the SADU had bested their opponents, so the morale boost was very welcome at high command.
    This game was the probaly the highest number of crits rolled by an order of magnitude, 10 by the Imperials alone, with another 3 by the NTC, which also makes it quite clear how the were able to dominate so completely.

The full report, including some stat-lines and inner workings are at the blog: http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/06/breakthrough-horizon-wars-aar.html

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for that, very much appreciated.

Participant

No problem AB, hope that helps πŸ™‚

Since I wasn’t entirely happy with the way things turned out last game, I made some changes: I made the mechs P2 and made up a random table to resolve hits as I mostly play solo.

In my mind it was quite a success, a good compromise between cinematic feel and game mechanics.

But enough about that, I have an AAR for you today!

Intel from the captured NTC units after their failed breakthrough revealed various pieces of intel, including the location of a NTC laboratory. Eager to repeat their recent success, a strike team is assembled..

The lab complex, target of the SADU strike team, can be seen in the distance.

NTC defenders.

SADU strike team, readying up for the attack.

It doesn’t take long before the first attack hits the generator powering the complex.

The defenders manage to damage the attacks, even if they can’t keep them from doing further harm.

Stalling the attackers on a nearby hill overlooking the complex, the mechs of the NTC defenders cause grave injuries to their opponents..

But it doesn’t stop them from blowing the reactor sky-high as the containment fails and the blindingly bright plasma escapes the ruins in a fire eruption.

Before long several of the SADU attackers have been crippled or taken out, but the ones still in the fight desperately attacks the lab again and again.

The last lightly damaged mech makes an final longshot at the crumpling lab..

..And is rewarded with the knowledge that they did their duty, even as his mech is blown to pieces around him, the lab has been destroyed!

Another SADU victory, even if they lost all their mechs and pilots to enemy guns or were captured!

The new alterations really made all the difference, this will now be my go-to solution for future Votoms-style games!

For the full AAR, with more pics and such, check out the blog :http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/06/research-and-destroy-horizon-wars-aar.html

Thanks for looking!

Participant

I might well be stealing your damage allocation randomiser as I play mostly solo.

Participant

You’re welcome to it, I found that it makes the solo games much more interesting πŸ™‚

Participant

I tried out a scenario from the book for the first time, but since it was over so fast, I managed another game as well:

The scenario was deliberate attack from the HW book, the mysterious Invaders attacking the SADU on forest world, trying to gain a foothold.

The game was over by turn 2, when the Invaders had broken through the SADU lines, and taken out the CHQ to boot.

The second game was a straight-up fight, and was far more even:

But by the mid 3rd turn, the Invaders were clearly losing, and diceded to fall back before loosing all their elements.

These is a blow-by-blow report on the blog, along with more pics: http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/07/invaders-on-horizon-set-of-horizon-wars.html

Hope you like it!

cool, but I am not sure about this lush green world you have, came as a surprise!

πŸ˜€

Participant

It can’t all be desert and wastelands you know πŸ˜‰

Participant

Not actually a AAR, but the promise of one in the not so distant future:

the Zephyr megacorp have finally come out of the shadows, taking direct control of their assest on the fringe, most notable of them the Union “fringe nation”:

The blog has a few more pics and some small background :http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/08/the-zephyr-new-arrivals-in-fringe.html

Thanks for looking!

Participant

I need flyers. I have no aircraft and can’t really find any that I love.

Participant

There are a bunch of really cool ones, EM-4 have the plastic spaceships that make great sci-fi aircraft, brigade and of course Sayiner micro toys make some great ones too. There’s bound to be something to catch your fancy in one of those places I’m sure πŸ™‚

Participant

Those GZG 6mm Scopedog-style mechs look amazing in the flesh, I really need to get some!

Participant

They really are little gems, you should definitely get some πŸ™‚

Participant

Zyphyr’s Beta Unit, the mechs arrive at the fringe. At the same time as a new unit starts making trouble for the Megacorp:

The blog have some more pics, and some musings: http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/09/zephyrs-beta-unit-some-opposition-and.html

Thanks for looking!

Participant

I can’t believe you have just gone off and made your own mecha. They are awesome!! And now you are trying your hand at tanks? They are probably going to be more straight forward, but your prototype looks dangerous. Sloped armour is a winner in my books!

Participant

Cheers James, thanks for the compliments πŸ™‚

Funnily enough, one of the hardest things have been getting clean casts. I do like the results, but resin can be a nightmare to work with at times.

Participant

My dad uses resin for casting large wall sections for his model railway. It seems that DIY resin is okay for that, but for more intricate details you might need to spend more money for higher quality stuff. I have dabbled with casting buildings and piles of rubble, but sculpting actual vehicles terrifies me. Good for you.

Participant

Sorry for the lack of action, but the sculpting have kept me busy!
    I have a AAR in the pipeline for you as well, in a few days hopefully. Let’s get on with todays post:

I have painted the last 3 sculpts I have so far, the Grand Raptor and also the conventional forces of Burke’s Iron Men, my mercenary company.

The Grand Raptor. Bigger and better armed, this heavy mech is the big brother of the Raptor class mech. Seen here with the standard double extended-range fusion cannons, this warmachine is deadly at any range.

Slugger heavy mechs and experimental heavy grav tanks of the Iron Men.

The remaining conventional elements that have been identified by Zephyr intelligence; light and heavy cavalry, armored artillery, heavy infantry and aerospace assets.

The backbone of the mercenary company, the eponymous Iron Men heavy infantry units.

Check out the blog for more pics and a small review of Nordic Weasel Games Survey and Explore :http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/09/more-of-burkes-iron-men-grand-raptor.html

Thanks for looking!

oooooh oooooohΒ  do like, do like!!

Participant

Then just wait for what comes next πŸ˜‰

They were a joy to paint Michael, the HARD suits in particular!

Participant

What a great thread! Love all the different mecha.

Participant

Like the use of Silent Death/EM4 starfighters.

Participant

They are really pretty and work surprisingly well as atmospheric craft as well as spacecraft, even though I don’t think I’ll ever use all 24 of them that I got.

Glad you like them!

Participant

I promised a battle report, and I hope that I shall not disappoint:

The board of directors for Zephyr, the latest megacorp to arrive at the fringe, were concerned. More than a dozen raids on company assets clearly attributed to the mercenary unit known as “Burke’s Iron Men” had taken place during the last fiscal quarter and who knows how much of the other sabotage was really their work? Sending the Armed Response Unit Alpha was supposed to keep a lid on things, but instead it had escalated to the point that both Bravo and Charile units had been cleared for insertion.

But this was all taking place in a boardroom on mars, far from the fringe.

Out on the fringe, the common notion among the corporate citizens and their protectors was that the threat posed to Zephyr assets have been exaggerated. Most of the citizens lived in the urban areas, well protected and somewhat removed from the ARU’s bases and the research and manufacturing facilities that was often the targets.

ARU base 252 in the desert badlands of the planet Attis III was just such a place..

the IM appear close to the base.

Focusing on causing maximum destruction, the Watcher mechs open fire on the armoury building.

It’s not long before the defenders start shooting back.

Shots fly back and forth as the battle is joined by Zephyr heavy tanks.

The Armoury goes up in a huge explosion, taking a unit of infantry with it. The IM tanks battle it out with the lone raptor mech.

A desperate tank-on-tank charge, leaving the Zephyr tank gutted.

Seing the writing on the wall, the raptor pilot punches out, but not before making sure his mech will topple onto the tank infront of it!

Zephyr reinforcements finally arrive.

Content with the damage caused, major Pryce calls a fighting retreat.

The aerospace fighter claims the last kill of the engagement, expending half of his ordnance to do so.

The scene as the mercenaries pull back. The armoury, a set of barracks and the defence bunker is all destroyed.

A narrow victory for the Iron Men, how are now all set to carry out their next attack on Zephyr assets.

For the full writeup, more photos and such, check out the blog:http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/09/opening-moves-horizon-wars-aar.html

Thanks for reading!

Participant

It looks like it was a quick, nasty skirmish. I am interested to see how everything pans out with the campaign. I am doing something similar, but after each battle the teams only have X amount of points that they can bring in to reinforce. There might be more available for victory points awarded too.

Your AARs are very interesting to me because I think we have similar tastes for our fictional universes.

Participant

It was quite brutal, I’ve never had as many charges in a single game as this last one! That’s an interesting idea. I might try that too, depending on how things turn out when the campaign is concluded.

Thanks for saying so, I think you might be quite right about that. I know that your’s are always well received for much the same reason πŸ™‚

Keymaster

Interesting.
    Thanks.
    Out of curiosity are the named characters named after anyone in particular ?

Participant

Not really, I just like the names.

Participant

After a few months of no gaming, I now have a new AAR to share:

A small unit of BurkeΒ΄s Iron MenΒ΄s power-armoured infantry try to escape their armored pursuers after a successful raid on a convoy.

This game was interesting, and proved to me the deadliness of infantry even without armor or air support. I also had no less than 3 charges in this game, a new record in HW for me I think πŸ™‚

The blog has the full blow by blow report, even if it’s a tad shorter than usual:
    http://lasersandbroadswords.blogspot.se/2016/11/fighting-retreat-horizon-wars-aar.html

Thanks for looking!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.