Home Forums Terrain and Scenery From a single tree to a woodland area

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    malc johnstonmalc johnston
    Participant

From a single tree to a woodland area

I have always put my trees on a single round base, then i thought it did’nt make sense, if i put it on a single square base i could create a large wooded area.

Here is my single 28mm base i create, the base is foam, i got a large box of seafoam trees, which came as soft, bent and basically not fit for a wargame table, after i came up with idea i thought i could put some strenght into these trees and make them more realistic and fit for a wargame table.

Box that they came in was around 20 seafoam trees, i thought i could easy get 60-80 trees and plenty of bushes out of this. Get a tree and dip it in PVA water, hang it upside down on the washing line, use a peg to hang it on and a peg for weight, this will straighten the trunk and parts.

Single square base tree 28mm

[/url]
    image hosting no account[/url]

Woodland area, i can create my woods large or small

[/url]
    post a picture[/url]

I used hairspray on my seafoam trees and dipped them into a container of grass, then sprayed again and repeated the process till i thought it looked ok, once in the foam base i put clay/milliput epoxy putty around the base, once dry i PVA all the trunk and base for more strenght.then touched up with paint.

Everything else is bits from a dog walk and the long grass is from a punk dolls hair and a hanging basket liner.

[/url]
    img host[/url]

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

paintpigpaintpig
    Participant

We do with larger terrain tiles often enough ……so …..why has it taken you so long to think of little woodland tiles. Your taking far too long to come up with simple, great and versatile ideas Malcolm? We, the lazy and not so bright wargamers, demand you pull your finger out.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
    Slowly Over A Low Flame

Participant

I just went along with the rest paintpig, i’m such a follower,you know what i have around 20 bases like this so far and it looks the part, you can have a unit going through a woodland area now like ACW and just remove the square bases as they move through the woods.

Next i think its got to be a marshland area, its going to be cheap and very simple and look eye candy, got a idea in my head.

Thanks for the feedback morale support

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by malc johnstonmalc johnston.

Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

Oddly I had always based my woods as one big massive piece with immovable trees.
    Then I too recently thought about smaller tiles that can butt up against another to make a larger piece if required, although being 6mm I used credit cards as my tile size.
    And being sci-fi the trees are not normal looking!

These you did are very nice though, very nice indeed.

paintpigpaintpig
    Participant

I did see a rather natty use of floor vinyl for swamp, it was just cut to shape and plonked on the TT but the pattern and the colour were perfect, a bit of floor polish for shine and some vegetation, viola. Swamp was my immediate thought after woodland.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
    Slowly Over A Low Flame

BarksBarks
    Participant

Very nice!

Participant

Thanks guys, feedback and comments go far.

PatricePatrice
    Participant

Very nice. I can’t wait to see the marshy areas.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

Well i promise you they will be very easy to create and more eye candy for those miniatures of yours.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.