Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Frostgrave 2 – Anybody indulged?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    agent pumpkin
    Participant

I played Frostgrave a lot, and while it was fun we house ruled the hell outta it.

So when Frostgrave 2 came out I wasn’t sure, but a mate bought it and we gave it a go. I mean we still had all the figures and scenery anyway… Its great! There doesn’t seem to be many changes on the face of it, but it does feel a much better game and nicely balanced. We haven’t felt the need to change anything. More importantly, it’s still great fun! So got my own hard copy now. I can highly recommend it.

Anybody else playing it?

fairoaks024
    Participant

I’ve bought one of the new release deals from north star but currently don’t have a club to play at as outs shut it’s doors permanently during the lockdown

Guy Farrish
    Participant

I bought Frostgrave, the kids bought me some skeleton and goblin thingies and I made a wizard and repurposed some medieval types, but I just couldn’t get into it. That’s probably just me and fantasy type stuff but the open nature of the basic idea seemed far too constrained by some of the rule mechanisms. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it was like Quidditch, the dumbest non-game in the world, but it gave me a gnawing feeling that a lot of the activity was just as pointless.

So sorry, no I haven’t tried Frostgrave 2.

Second editions of games are rarely an improvement, I hope Frostgrave 2 bucks that trend.

Phil Dutré
    Participant

To be honest, I still have to play Frostgrave 1st. Has been on my TODO list since it came out 🙂

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

My son and I played Frostgrave a bit.  We liked it a lot but ultimately we did not like that everything revolved around Wizards.  For instance, what if you wanted to play a Great Warrior?  We did like that loot mattered and that you could get magical items, weapons and armor.

Our go to when we hit the table top is still Sellswords and Spellslingers by Ganesha Games.  It is a cooperative game which suits us just fine for campaigning in a mythical world.  The one thing I don’t like much is that the magic and special items and such are somewhat abstracted into the system.  For instance, if your guy finds a magic sword, it gives him +1 fight but that has to be incorporated into the cost of the character and you still can’t go above +5.

I’ve not played Ghost Archipelago or Rangers of Shadow Deep.  My limited understanding of the games makes them both also specialized in their own way.  I think Rangers is the most appealing but it is limited by how the content is run.  I suppose you could bulk lift the game engine onto a Frostgrave scenario and have at it.

Frostgrave 2, I don’t own or plane to own.  I am sure it is an improvement over the first as the designer seems to take feedback to heart but, like I said, playing a wizard all the time is not really my thing.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Graham Harrison
    Participant

The one thing I don’t like much is that the magic and special items and such are somewhat abstracted into the system.

I’ve been playing around with using some of the magic items from Frostgrave (with minor tweaks) in our Sellswords campaigns.

Stephen Holmes
    Participant

I have the book, but lockdown has intruded and prevented any play.

Impression on reading through is that v2 balances a lot of the problems of v1. Notably:

Range limits on the artillery like spells of the Elementalist.

Better balance between the power/cost of henchmen.

Less of the “Experience points for killing your enemies”.

A few other spells buffed/nerfed for balance.

The game is still quite similar, and won’t require players to replace their miniatures or scenario books.

Thomaston
    Participant

I wanted to get into Frostgrave when it first came out, but d20 put me off. Those dice roll forever, never seeming to stop until they rolled off the table.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Stephen Holmes
    Participant

I wanted to get into Frostgrave when it first came out, but d20 put me off. Those dice roll forever, never seeming to stop until they rolled off the table.

Have you tried rolling them into a box lid, a tray or something similar.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.