Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Frostgrave or Mordheim?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

I like the Warhammer setting, and like the look of the models.
    Not so keen on the Frostgrave setting but that be ignored easily enough.

How does Frostgrave play and would it be easy enough to make rules for gunpowder weapons?

Wait, does Frostgrave have fantasy races even?

Participant

Whilst I’m not really a fan of Frostgrave, I have rather admired their plastic kit of Gnolls.  So, based on that, I’m guessing they have at least one fantasy race.

Years ago, when Mordheim appeared, we played it, and it was ok.  We liked Necromunda better, even though the Mordheim rules were cleaner and better.  I think we just liked the setting of Necromunda better.

That said, for a person who isn’t really interested in either, I’d plump for Mordheim over Frostgrave.  I did a try a game of Stargrave, and wasn’t overly impressed.    (But would buy and use those Gnolls in a myriad of other games)!

Ah so I have been thinking since posting this, I have some RT 40k models I could use for a warband sort of affair rather than fantasy.
    How does Necromunda play ?

Participant

I’ve only played the original Necromunda, it’s very similiar to Mordheim.  It is a little more clunky, and has less options, but I feel it is more balanced as a result.  It is very range-weapon oriented as well. It’s almost entirely human imperial guard equivalents, unlike Mordheim where each faction has a few wierd units unique to them.

In my opinion, both Nercomunda and Mordheim are at their best when playing with groups of four or more players.

Frostgrave is also a very good game – in many ways more fun.  Games are faster, less competitive, and there are a lot of good scenarios. It plays campaigns well solo, for two, and for large groups.  It is largely setting and miniature agnostic. You will see all kinds of crazy settings and warbands (Including Crom’s Anvil based ones!)  Your characters are all archtypes – and it ignores racial/species differences.  So a character can be an elf thug, an orc thug, a human thug, and two headed bat thug.  It doesn’t matter what species they are, only if they are a theif/thug/infantryman etc.  You will see example of all sorts of different themes.  There are many Warhammer themed warbands out there, and it is common to use the crossbow rules for blackpowder.

Frostgrave requires two wizards per warband, maybe three or four guys without armor and armed with knives or hand weapons, a couple archers or crossbowmen, a couple guys with heavier armor and/or weapons.

I’ve played alot of all three in the past, and have enjoyed all three.  But Frostgrave is the better designed and most fun IMHO.  Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago is a little different theme and has more of open class main character is place of one of the wizards.  Hope that helps.

Participant

Just to agree with Logain, Frostgrave is a very different beast to Nercomunda. It’s a general setting, use any miniatures you want, and it’s great fun

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Participant

I always enjoyed Morheim and Necromunda, but that may also be a bit of nostalgia.  I had a lot of good games with them.  The 2 times I played Frostgrave the games didn’t last long enough to really get into them so I can’t really make a comparison.  The new Necromunda is a little different from the old, mostly in that there are a ton of options now for each faction, almost too many.

I’ve heard good things about the new edition of Kill Team, other than the way they are releasing faction lists.  But, I’ve never been one to stick to the factions if the rules are good.  For instance, back in the oooold Necromunda days we had a gang that was made up of Orks that escaped the gladiator pits and another that were all heretic Techpriests trying to carve out their own place to do experiments, and of course to be able to access test subjects that are willing or not.  Necromunda being rooted in 40k should make things easier for you, plus being able to port troops and weapons back and forth.

I guess it all comes down to what you are looking for in a game.  Faster play?  Available player base?  More detailed?  Designed for solo play?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Keymaster

In the process of watching a Frostgrave video.
    Combat is d20 + models fight stat.

The video shows a soldier with a fight stat of 2.
    This seems like such a small number to add to a d20 that it becomes almost totally random?

Participant

It isn’t quite that random because armour values etc come into it, but it is more ‘casual’ than Necromunda.
    I think the reason is that the purpose of game. With 40K there is a lot of min/maxing individual figures for combat, trying to build in an edge etc.

With Frostgrave you don’t have combat monkeys who can hack their way through, at least as we play it, it’s far more tactical. I’ve played successful games with six players round the table and I’ve managed to get a haul of treasure and never actually got into combat. Careful use of spells, that sort of thing, is at least as important.
    So why send somebody across to hit a figure when you can just have him fall three stories because you’ve crumbled the floor beneath his feet 🙂

Participant

Yeah, frostgrave is really unique and different. It’s mostly the story of one wizard. There’s no real cost to trying it as terrain and minis can interchangeable with Mordheim. If I had four or five dependable people that would commit to at least six games and that were into Mordheim or Necromunda – I’d go with that. It’s a joy to watch your grunts develop personality. Otherwise I’d recommend trying a Frostgrave Campaign.

Just bidding on a copy of Mordheim, fingers crossed!

Participant

In the meantime there’s this site:

https://broheim.net/downloads.html

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Keymaster

Aye, but I prefer originals.

Participant

I can’t remember but one of the Warhammer fantasy battle editions had a set of skirmish rules that was Mordheim light in that it didn’t have the warband experience part to it. I’ve got Frostgrave but never played it, I have Mordhiem and use to play it a lot. I really enjoyed the games and story building of my war bands rise and falls. (Mainly falls, due to poor tactics on my behalf ☺️)

Good luck on bidding on a copy of the rules.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

Mordheim, hands down.

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/with/72157710630529376

Keymaster

Participant

Hope you have a lot of fun with it

Participant

I found Frostgrave and Rangers of Shadow deep very swingy, with combat using opposing D20 rolls. Another option is Songs of Blades and heroes which could be adapted to a Mordhiem setting.

My 6mm Wargaming site https://6mm.wargaming.info

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.