Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Game #1 General D'armee

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Napoleonics was my first, & for a long time only, period. We used a variant of the olf WRG rules but I found them increasingly unsatisfactory. Hence, the look for something new. And I think we’ve found it!

‘General D’armee’ seems to tick all our boxes: unit & army size, Napoleonic tactics, relatively quick & decisive games &, not least, a load of fun.

Our trial game was the scenario from the rule book but with Confederation of the Rhine forces opposing the Russian army.

The battlefield:

[/url]

We managed to run about 9 turns (out of a possible 16) in under 4 hours. I was the only one who’d read the rules & there was much leisurely explaining & discussing. With a little experience (next game!) I think the whole battle in 3 hours is realistic.

The game relies on your ability to plan & lead your small soldiers. Things don’t always work out as you’d want them:

[/url]

Just before a potentially game-winning charge, my C-o-tR cavalry brigade became hesitant & refused to move forwards.

Turn flanks, screen your advance, seize strong points & terrain features – it’s a challenge.

[/url]

Whilst the Russian cavalry seized the centre of the battlefield:

[/url]

Certainly just as exciting as the actual shooting & melee was manoeuvre: both sides jockied for position.

[/url]

[/url]

Although units exist as battalions etc, the key element is the brigade: with all its components. Here is a Bavarian-Wurtemberger brigade with line infantry in columns, skirmishers to the fore & the brigade commander & ADCs controlling everything.

[/url]

And a Westphalian-Polish brigade as well.

[/url]

Difficulty in in the variety. Units are graded according to size & training. Large but poorly trained Russian Opolchenie must be handled appropriately in order to function constructively:

[/url]

Although the game wasn’t finished, The Russian artillery held the high ground & looked formidable:

[/url]

I felt the rule book is lucid, the supporting You Tuibe videos useful but even after one game, I think the intuitive nature of the rules means you are gaming confidently.

donald

Participant

Thanks, that is a lovely looking game. Would that be something like a 6 x 4 table with 15mm? I do like the way that both these and the Pickett’s Charge (ACW) rules, suggest that as a do-able set-up.

Thank you for your kind comments. Table tennis table with 1/72 & 20mm figures.

donald

Participant

Excellent looking game and report. I’ve wanted to try these for a while but still have rather a lot of painting to do…

Nice armies as well.

A few extra photos then:

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

donald

Participant

Really impressive look to it and it sounds like a lot of fun. 🙂

Participant

I’ve introduced a couple of club members to General d’Armee in the last month. We’re all old disgruntled Napoleonic players and so far we’ve had two games, both of which were good. Like you, I was the only on ewho had read the rules and none of us were really sure how to play. But, as you said, the rules are pretty intuitive and we just followed the turn sequence. The first game we got in 6 turns at a leisurely learning-pace, but the second game we managed 11 turns and got a conclusion.

We really like the rules and I hope that we can keep getting regular games on the table in order to get a really good handle on them.

Participant

Excellent post, looks like a proper wargame, inspiring thanks for sharing.

Excellent post, looks like a proper wargame, inspiring thanks for sharing.

Thank you, sir.

I’ve dropped Naps for a bit whilst we have an Ancients’ game (chariot wars) in a few weeks.

However, I’m working on a bigger ‘General D’armee’ game after that. It’ll be Quatre Bras that will involve quite a few figures but have some sort of manageable set of victory conditions so we can finish in a day.

donald

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.