Home Forums Medieval Game of Thrones, 15mm Impetus

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    GeoffQRF
    Participant

Don’t get excited…. I haven’t got anything to show you yet!

My daughter has got into Game of Thrones, and suddenly said to me “You know I had a Basic Impetus fantasy army?… (leading question…) Well can you paint me a Game of Thrones army”

Which house? (He says, not actually having seen it or read the books but trying to sound as though he is fully up with the cool kids while trying to sneak away to read all the wiki articles before he is caught out).

“Targaryen”

This means very little to me, but long white/blonde hair and dragons appears to be a feature

From what I can tell, this seems to have a 100 Years War feel to it. I’m sticking with BI because (a) we know and enjoy that and (b) it means I onlh need to paint about 8 bases. Oh, and 8 for her friend too because you always need two armies.

Any suggestions for army lists??

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

kyoteblue
    Participant

I got no idea…haven’t watched much of it.

General Slade
    Participant

I’m at the start of season 4 and things may change later on but at present the army of House Targaryen  consists of a hoplite army of freed slaves. They are in vaguely Ancient Greek / Macedonian-style outfits that are completely black, including black shields and helmets. The other armies look more like 100 Years War / Wars of the Roses armies (but they are on a different continent to the Targaryens).

Just to complicate things, in season 1, the Targaryen army was basically like a Mongol horde and solely consisted of cavalry. And I have the feeling that if the Targaryens do cross the sea to fight the other Houses then the nature of their army may change again.

You might need to bite the bullet and watch the series to find out what your daughter wants. I didn’t think I was going to enjoy it but so far it has been as good as everyone says.

I haven’t seen any Impetus army  lists but there are a few for Hordes of Things on the internet.

GeoffQRF
    Participant

House Targaryen consists of a hoplite army of freed slaves. They are in vaguely Ancient Greek / Macedonian-style outfits that are completely black, including black shields and helmets.

Ah yes, managed to find some decent reference now- the unsullied, elite warrior-eunuchs who fight in large, disciplined phalanx formations. Also unsullied-in-training who serve as auxiliaries.

Just to complicate things, in season 1, the Targaryen army was basically like a Mongol horde and solely consisted of cavalry.

It  sounds like the cavalry came a bit later, after they were criticised that “while the unsullied are impressive infantry… she still possesses no cavalry, siege weapons, or ships”

The wiki suggests:

• After Daario slayed the captions of the Second Sons at Yunkai they gained 2,000 armored cavalry
    • After the burning of Vaes Dothrak they gained the loyalty of 100,000 Dothraki cavalry (which appear to be the Mongol horde type)

They also have three dragons – “dragons at this time are capable of providing the only air support in the known world”

I haven’t seen any Impetus army lists but there are a few for Hordes of Things on the internet.

Found: Hordes-Westeros-Armies and more HOTT-GoT

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by GeoffQRF.

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

darthfozzywig
    Participant

Wait wait wait.  Dothraki and Unsullied may be fighting for Daenarys in the latter part of the series, but they are not Targaryens.

You should get clarification on what your daughter wants. Does she want Daenarys’ army, or does she want a Targaryen army like Dany’s father or great-grandfather might have led, with household knights in black and red, Westerosi bannermen, and maybe some dragons (if you go back a few generations)?

Northern Monkey
    Participant

I did some GOT lists for Warmaster which you may be able to loot for ideas for composition of your army, they are on my blog here:

http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/warmaster-song-of-ice-and-fire-army.html

But as Darth says, a true Targaryen army would consist of knights, men at arms, the standard western European medieval stuff, the last Targaryen army was destroyed 15 years before the start of the books/tv series, Daenarys army is in effect a mish mash of various fantasy tropes which may make a more interesting looking army

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

William Jones
    Participant

From my recollection, if your daughter is asking for Daenarys’ army, something more like a Seljuk or Abbasid army. I haven’t read the books in years, but as I recall she started building her force from Hunnic, Turkmen type steppe horse archers, then picked up a job lot of sociopathic slave soldier types. For models I’m thinking Huns, Turks or Mongol, and then maybe some Indians or Biblical era types for the slave soldiers. Simple kit and shaved heads as I recall. Not a devotee and its been years, so I could easily be wrong.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.