Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Game of Thrones?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was wondering how Game of Thrones has impacted fantasy wargaming for folks here. I’ve seen a lot of posts on Lead Adventure by people who have made full on Westeros armies from various plastics – I’ve dabbled with that too (perry WOTR and Frostgrave mercs work nicely) I’m not doing GOT battles though, it’s more that my “grumpy northerners” tend to look like Starks and my “flouncy southerners” like Lannisters. GOT doesn’t have the orcs etc that I tend to like but it has influenced my fantasy images – just as hyboria has.

What’s your take on this?

Not seen a single one!

😀

I watched the first season and a half and gave up  The books are written by a cynical man.  Not my cup of tea.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>That’s interesting; in my office the overwhelming majority are into it.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>have to admit that while i initially liked the books they grated and I’ve not been gutted at the time taken to get to the next volume. The TV series is different- the scenes while two characters take a small boat through some waterside ruins was quite spectacular in terms of a fantasy vision</p>

Participant

— I’ve never read the books, so I can’t say if they are good.

At the beginning of the TV series I didn’t want to watch them: I had watched so many fantasy films and series (and loved them) that I thought I would be bored. Then one year ago I began to watch the DVDs with some friends.

I actually loved the first seasons. Because of all the mingling stories of different families; because of the interesting mix of political intrigues, battles, eroticism, horror suggested but yet unknown; AND because the clothing that the actors wear are quite believable (…for most of them) which for me is a winner (I’ve been a medieval re-enactor for years, I don’t ask for historical costumes in a fantasy world but at least I need that they look real and believable and not false leather jackets with nickel washers and nails as in many stupid films).

I’m not so happy about what happens in seasons 5 and 6, but perhaps the TV scenarists have taken too much power on the story (?)

— Playing GoT with minis? It’s not really my personal taste, I don’t play LOTR either. I sometimes play fantasy including Goblins and Orcs etc but it’s in our own fantasy world not from a book or film (although vaguely Tolkien-inspired).

I am thinking about a giant game vaguely inspired by GoT but not directly by its world and characters. Just the fascinating idea of medieval lords of different cultures, on different continents, all wanting to negotiate to gain power and to become petty king of their area, or high king… We could have 3 or 4 tables with different climates, and different nations/clans/tribes depending of all the medieval miniatures, and forts, houses etc, available in our gaming group (Late Medieval Europeans; Vikings; Greeks; Arabs; Mongols; etc). But I’m not sure we’ll do it: some members of my gaming group think it would be too much historical (not enough Elves running everywhere) and others think it would be to much fantasy (Vikings could meet Mongols)…

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

I made my own Warmaster list up years ago and had a few games, it game me a chance to mix up a load of different medieval stuff (10mm)that wouldn’t usually be fielded together, there are few posts on my blog about it:

http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/some-of-my-10mm-medieval-stuff-that-i.html

http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/warmaster-song-of-ice-and-fire-army.html

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

I’m a big fan of GoT, but if I was to game it I’d rather do it at a strategic board game level than as a miniatures game,  it really has to be more about the political scheming than the battles I think.

Participant

I liked the first couple of seasons , but blah….. Never thought about gaming it.

Participant

Thanks for the replies all – I can’t say I’m at all interested in refighting it on the table but it has influenced my figures; previously my human fantasy palace guard types defaulted to Gondor Citadel  Guard, now they might where white cloaks instead 🙂

Participant

I enjoyed the TV series but it hasn’t made a blind bit of difference to my wargaming.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

Oh, I am a bit tempted by the Mike Yarrow Miniatures range of figures for it, which are basically his eskimos and some medieval soldiers with cloaks added.

Participant

While I’m a big GOT fan and have plans to do book-style Westeros forces using plastic, I can’t say it’s influenced my overall fantasy gaming all that much.  I suspect that some influence will always creep into by home-brew settings but I was big on feudal kingdoms and political intrigue before, GOT hasn’t really changed that.

I’m a big fan of GoT, but if I was to game it I’d rather do it at a strategic board game level than as a miniatures game,  it really has to be more about the political scheming than the battles I think.

If you haven’t tried it definitely check out the Game of Thrones board game by Fantasy Flight Games.  Excellent game, one of my all time favorites, even without the well-integrated GOT theme it is a classic.

Would even make a great campaign system for a miniatures game in a pinch.

-Will

Participant

My fantasy gaming is informed more by Lord of the Rings and old school Warhammer, with a touch of the original Dragonlance (yes, you can laugh now).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.