Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Game over Man, Game over! A Space Hulk AAR

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Darkest Star Games Darkest Star Games 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Abwehrschlacht
    Abwehrschlacht
    Participant

Last weekend we played a game of Space Hulk using Colonial Marines as stand-ins for the Terminators.I have put a load of photos on my latest blog post, please check them out here:

https://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com/2019/09/theyre-comin-outta-walls.html

http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Looks great!!

Abwehrschlacht
    Abwehrschlacht
    Participant

Cheers buddy, it was a great game!

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Wow, 3 levels is pretty ambitious!  I have won very few games of Space Hulk over the years, they are almost always total nail biters.  But dang that last Marine had ALL of the xenos after them!  One heck of a last stand!

What edition are those tiles?  Look like 2nd to me, but can’t really tell.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Abwehrschlacht
    Abwehrschlacht
    Participant

Thanks man, yep, it was a level too far as far as the Marines were concerned… May be a little too ambitious. Space Hulk is probably my favourite GW game of all time. It is a perfect out-of-the-box game, which is probably why GW never liked it. Not much room for add-ons. Not that they didn’t try.

The tiles are all first edition, it belongs to Ninjasaurus who bought two copies of the game to have more to play with!

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Not much room for add-ons. Not that they didn’t try.

I still have the White Dwarf issue where they gave rules for using regular Space Marines in place of the Termies.   Loads of fun and very bloody!

The tiles are all first edition, it belongs to Ninjasaurus who bought two copies of the game to have more to play with!

Envious!  I have the most recent edition (with all the stuff you have to paint and crazy poses for the minis) and honestly I would MUCH rather be playing with the vintage stuff instead.

Tony S
    Tony S
    Participant

If you hunt around on the internet, you might be able to find the 1st edition Space Hulk Bible.  It’s a collection of everything Space Hulk.  Imperial Guard, Necrons, Space Marines, Eldar, Tyranids.  About 120 pages worth.

Here’s an explanation from the author, from Boardgamegeek:

“When I put the SHB together, my aim was to condense all 1st edition rules into a single volume. It gathers the rules from the core game, Deathwing, Genestealer, Space Hulk Campaigns and various White Dwarf issues. Some edits were made but these were kept to a minimum. A few new diagrams and gameplay examples were added to better clarify some rules. I also included some unofficial rules for troops other than Space Marines. It was a mistake on my part not to better identify these as optional house rules. I also regret not dividing the weapons pages into official and unofficial sections. ”

I must have a later edition, as it adds Necrons, but everything else is first edition.    We’ve played a multiplayer game with all of the races involved years ago and had a great time!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Tony S Tony S.
    Abwehrschlacht
    Abwehrschlacht
    Participant

Cheers guys,  Ninjasaurus has the extra stuff from WD, but we prefer the basic set. Personally, I think it’s a game that really didn’t need any additions and the more they added the more it just felt like 40K in a corridor, imo. Each to their own though, as long as you enjoyed it, then who am I to comment!?

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Personally, I think it’s a game that really didn’t need any additions and the more they added the more it just felt like 40K in a corridor

I feel you.  I always felt it was one of their more solid games, straight out of the box.  I don’t think I’d be down for something like Necrons Vs Eldar with it, as that would be the realm of 40k or kill team, but regular SM or even IG vs genestealers would be a hoot!  I can’t imagine how many IG troops it would take to accomplish what a termie squad could do.  Orks vs GS would be a hoot too!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.