Home Forums General General Games you wanted to like?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This thread isn’t for games that you thought were terrible or broken.
    It’s for games that you really wanted to like but for some reason it just never quite clicked for you.

Or a game that has a lot of great features but one or two things that just break it for you.

For me, the big one was always Command Decision. I’ve owned 3 incarnations of the rules, love reading them, love how it seems the closest to a tabletop version of Steel Panthers and yet, whenever I’ve had figures on the table, it just never goes anywhere.

I’d have said that it’s because it’s too heavy but we played Face of Battle and had a great time. For some reason, it just doesn’t click with my group, no matter how much I wanted it to 🙁

Participant

Fields of Glory.

Participant

You have to say why 🙂

Participant

Because by the time I got a copy of the rules the local ancients group had moved on to SAGA in 28mm and I didn’t want to buy 28s  when I have tons of painted 15mm ancients armys.

Participant

Ah 🙂

If we include games that just didn’t work with our groups, I’ll add Spearhead. Written orders is a no-go with the people I game with. The only exception was, strangely, Striker but I think that’s because I didn’t warn them ahead of time.

Participant

Umm, No End in Sight. Oh, wait, can’t say that

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

LOL, it’s okay. I’m not hurt. *sniff*

Participant

Haha, murphys law. My post will get cut when I am making a stupid joke. For me its Force on Force. Some really cool ideas well implemented, but it seemed to me like it couldn’t decide exactly what kind of game it wanted to be: a detailed simulation or a fast and loose, quick game. YMMV.
    For the record, Ivan: I really enjoy NEIS.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

You know, I never did get around to trying FoF even though everyone compares NEIS to it.
    I did read through the rules (the original 1st edition) and it reminded me of a modernized Stargrunt but more “man to man”.

Participant

Tried Force-on-Force but it just never clicked for me and my gaming chums. Some of the scenarios just didn’t work and I agree with Paul re: the feel of the game.

Ditto ‘Maurice’, which I think was down to the card activation which limited solo play IMHO.

Participant

SAGA. I like the idea and the clever rules mechanics and my girlfriend really loves them… however, they never clicked with me, somehow they felt too ‘gamey’ for me – and I’m firmly in the ‘wargaming should be fun’ camp, so it’s not about them not being realistic or historical accurate. I also prefer fast-play rules. So everything says I should love them, but somehow I don’t. Still play now and then, though.

Participant

Impetus – we could never get over the fact that there seemed to be no incentive to be the one to attack first…

Lasalle – didn’t work with columns and lines

Waterloo Rules – almost worked as a ruleset but the balance and allocation of points just didn’t gel properly.

Field of Glory – a return to units (I dislike element based games) but I just found the games deadly dull and boring to play and I gave up after half a dozen attempts. Just not my style.

Mike

Participant

Probably my biggest letdown was Flames of War.  I so wanted to like it. It would have meant locally available figs, supporting the local store, being able to play at the store, many local opponents otherwise, etc.  But I just didn’t enjoy it.   In the end it just didn’t look right to me on the table, and didn’t feel right.  Additionally too much tournament style play, points instead of scenarios, and same armies on both sides just wasn’t for me.  Guess I had been gaming different style games for too long.

Participant

Bolt Action.

If I liked it, I could get a game every week instead of maybe once or twice a month. But there’s just something off-putting about the rules and their lack of flavour. Even though there’s quite a lot in the mechanics I am ok with when it’s in other games, as a whole it just bugs me in too many places and leaves a sense of just kinda chewing cardboard.

Lasalle -well written and well supported but I didn’t click with the Column v Lines and melee mechanics.

Participant

Dystopian Wars.

Great figs. Bought a bucket-load of Empire of the Sun ships and flyers.

Painted for weeks, built islands, a seascape board, installations, etc.

Then played my first game and the rules were so fiddly and model specific, I was “just shoot me now.”

Regards, The Gorb

Left Hand Miniatures
    http://www.lefthandminiatures.com
    Graydon Gorby, Owner

Participant

Have to second Dystopian wars. Beautiful stuff but a very clunky and repetitive game.

I really wanted to like In her Majesty s Name but the endless adding and subtracting of rolls and modifiers just ground away all the fun.

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.