Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Gayda and Krijitsky

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

As I mention in the forward of my Russian uniform page (zaotlichiye.net63.net/allfacings.html ), Gayda and Krijitsky produced one of the first accessible translations of Viskovatov into a Western language – French. I discovered volume 1 (line infantry and cuirassiers) while in college, and pored over it with awe. It offers a summary of the extensive information in Viskovatov and nicely sketched and tinted illustrations, drawn from his plates. Eventually I produced a complete translation and offered it, IIRC, to E.E.&L. Some years later, the editors dusted off their correspondence and expressed interest. But I demurred, because by that time Mark Conrad had translated those volumes of Viskovatov completely and directly into English. I did not see the use of a translation of a French summary of the Russian original. And that is why Gayda and Krijitsky does not appear in my reference list. I just don’t use it. Rather, as mentioned in my forward, I rely on Conrad and in tricky cases go directly to the original which, along with the plates, is readily accessible on line.

Participant

Thanks for the clarification, Jonathan.  Your page remains a wonderful resource!

Bryce Allen

Participant

You are welcome, and thanks for spreading the light.

Do you have your own copies of LPK? You can drop me a line.

I see one  Luca Stefano Cristini  has “adapted” Mark Conrad’s translation of Viskovatov into a publish on demand/Ebook hosted by Amazon.  I have no idea if Mark is involved in the project, or, if not, he particularly cares, but I am rather alarmed by the thought of blatant theft.

Participant

Sadly, I do not have a personal copy of LPK–thankfully, your web-page updates give us a ‘window’ to it.

Bryce Allen

Participant

Just a followup note. Cristini has permission to use Conrad’s translation, which he bundles with reproductions of the Viskovatov plates. So if you are tired of looking it up on the internet, you have an alternative.

Participant

Thought I’d bump this thread, as the Cristini book is subject of the same misunderstanding on a couple of other web sites.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.