Home Forums General General Genuine, but very un-pc, question…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Anybody do a Third Reich deck of playing cards, preferably with a nazi eagle/swazzy on the back!!!???
    I’m guessing this could all go wrong pretty quick, but it’s a genuine quest. We’re playing WW2 ‘one hour skirmish’ games which is 100% card driven, no dice. For the goodies I’ve got these…

The best I can find for the baddies is an old German Imperial Eagle deck, not quite wot we wanted. I was pondering whether there might be German WW2 period playing cards, if only for the WW2 Jerry re-enactors to play with?

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Have you looked at having your own printed?
    Quite a few sites offer bespoke playing cards.

ian pillayian pillay
    Participant

Harry, I had to google this from a curiosity point of view. I only found 1 card in eBay – https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Playing-Cards-1-Single-Card-Old-Antique-c1920-PEACETIME-Good-Luck-SWASTIKA-10-/254206018827

however having a read the Swastika was a religious symbol before the Nazis adopted it in the 1930’s. Maybe you could find a deck of cards around that time. Or as Mike suggests get some printed.

Be interested to see how the OHS project progresses with or without the period flavour cards.

cheers

Ian

Tally-Ho!

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant
    John D SaltJohn D Salt
    Participant

Mr Picky’s googling also seems to produce a pretty poor selection, and I cannot find any WW2 cards with Swastika backs; they all seem to be pre-WW2 uses of the decoration, like the “Nazi poker chips” found elsewhere which are nothing of the sort. One seller has the cheek to offer “Genuine 1912 Nazi swastika cards”, which I suppose serves the buyer right if they don’t know the Nazis weren’t around in 1912.

If you do produce a bespoke set, you might also care to note that the traditional German suits are leaves, hearts, bells, and acorns. However the familiar French suits (spades, hearts, diamonds, and clubs) were widely used internationally in the 30s just as now, so they wouldn’t be wrong.

Probably you need a full 52-card poker deck, but note also that smaller decks might have been popular in Germany, for games such as Skat (32 cards) or Jass (36 cards).

All the best,

John.

zippyfusenet
    Participant

I’ve recently upgraded my desktop publishing skills and I’ve been able to produce several passable custom card decks for Wings of Glory.

Besides your computer, you’ll need a scanner and an inkjet printer, garden variety graphics software like Paint and Word, and sundry office and craft supplies that can be found in the big-box stores or ordered online. You’ll need a custom design for the backs of the cards.

It’s a non-trivial amount of crafty work, and I’d rather buy my cards tailor-made. If you can’t find a suitable card deck, you might consider making one yourself.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

NoelNoel
    Participant

You can print up a bunch of “card backs” then cut them out and put them in sleeves with any old set of playing cards.

deephorsedeephorse
    Participant

Have you looked at having your own printed? Quite a few sites offer bespoke playing cards.

I made a post saying the same thing this morning, but it’s gone, along with someone else’s post that was immediately above mine.  Strange.

Before I joined Facebook I thought that a) most people were reasonable and intelligent, and b) they could spell words correctly. Guess what ......

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Have you looked at having your own printed? Quite a few sites offer bespoke playing cards.

I made a post saying the same thing this morning, but it’s gone, along with someone else’s post that was immediately above mine. Strange.

On this topic?

I’ve plumped for these, everyone can tell they’re Jerry, but certainly not offensive…

deephorsedeephorse
    Participant

I made a post saying the same thing this morning, but it’s gone, along with someone else’s post that was immediately above mine. Strange.

On this topic?

Yes, unless Harry repeated this topic somewhere else.

Before I joined Facebook I thought that a) most people were reasonable and intelligent, and b) they could spell words correctly. Guess what ......

MikeMike
    Keymaster

That’s really odd.
    I am subscribed but don’t recall getting any notifications about posts I don’t see here and there is nothing in the spam folder either?

I will keep an eye out.

deephorsedeephorse
    Participant

That’s really odd. I am subscribed but don’t recall getting any notifications about posts I don’t see here and there is nothing in the spam folder either? I will keep an eye out.

If replies were made before you subscribed to the topic would you still get to know about them?  The posts that I think disappeared were the second and third ones on the topic.  You hadn’t commented by then Mike.

deephorsedeephorse
    Participant

Solved.

Harry has indeed made exactly the same post on another forum and that is where my reply is!

Had you considered the Iron Cross?  That would work for WW2 and still not be offensive to anyone.  Not sure what color the background would be though.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Solved.

Harry has indeed made exactly the same post on another forum and that is where my reply is!

phew!

But also, another forum?
    Say it is not so 😛

deephorsedeephorse
    Participant

Solved. Harry has indeed made exactly the same post on another forum and that is where my reply is!

phew! But also, another forum? Say it is not so 😛

It get’s worse Mike.  Visiting another forum this morning it’s also been posted there! 😧

MikeMike
    Keymaster

It’s true, I’m a right bitch, fickle wi’ mi’ favours!

I asked on several forums because I got worried a delete droid would strike, thinking I was a nazi fanboy!

Now sorted, courtesy of Zazzle. To be fair, if I could have got them I would have plumped for a deck with a swazzy in a white circle on a red background, as you can’t get more nazi Germany than that. With these though I think you could just about do Napoleonic Prussians, so we can use ’em or both periods…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.