Home Forums WWII Getting Closer to Caen

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by kyoteblue kyoteblue 4 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Yes, I’m still alive.  Real life has been a real bastard, not much time for wargame-related stuff, but I am making progress.  Ever so slowly…   I’ve been re-doing infantry, arty, ATGs, buying and painting new stuff from Heroics and Ros to get into some brigade-level WWII action around Caen between Brits/Canadians/Poles and Germans.  Here’s what things are looking like these days.

Everything I’ve got so far.  Allied vehicles on the right, Allied infantry on the bottom center, German vehicles on the left, German infantry at top center.  Everything is very simply block painted and given a wash, the infantry are based on pennies and flocked.

Some new additions for the Allies: trucks, Churchills, and Cromwells.

And some new additions for the Germans: Jagdpanthers and King Tigers. To see a million more pics, please check the blog at:
    https://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2019/06/getting-closer-to-caen.html

Anyway, I’ve still got some unpainted (or primed) lead lying about as I continue to marshal my forces for some massive battles. Still reading and doing scenario research, but I’m looking to fight from the afternoon of D-Day all the way through Falaise. No matter how long it takes!

Predictably, I still have too many wargaming ideas kicking around in my pea brain. In sort of order of precedence:

1. Finish up my modern tiny aircraft (from Thomaston) so I can keep my Cuba Libre campaign moving along).
    2. Get some new troops to get my Sword of Gideon campaign moving again.
    3. Get back to my WWII tiny dogfighting so I can get my Marines in the Pacific campaign moving again.
    4. I’ve been reading and it’s really given me a jonesing for a bunch of Vietnam: French vs Viet Minh, ARVN throughout the entire war, SOG and Hatchet Force ops into Laos and Cambodia, and Marines in Hue.
    5. I bought “Rebels and Patriots” and I’m really getting bit by American Civil War in particular, but finding myself looking at everything from FIW to AWI to War of 1812 to MAW to ACW…
    6. Oh, and Caen, of course 😉

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Huzzah!!!! Great to see you posting again Jack!! It all looks good and I’ll follow anything you post.  I’ve been bitten by the Rebels and Patriots bug myself and have FIW AWI and ACW(again).  I need more French line units along with Continentals Line units painted.  I lack painted Cav for ACW.

Whirlwind
    Whirlwind
    Participant

Hi Jack,

Nice looking stuff.  Looking forward to seeing what you get up to with them.

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

For such a simple painting technique your Allied stuff looks great.  But my inner German is crying out for you to put some cammo on those AFVs!

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Just Jack
    Participant

Kyote-John – Hey Old Man.  Yeah, this Rebels and Patriots stuff has got me fantasizing about a lot of buying, painting, basing, and playing that I know I don’t have time for…

Whirlwind-John – Thanks man, and I can’t wait, either! 😉

Deephorse – Yeah, I know what you mean.  Unfortunately I often find myself sacrificing beauty for functionality (camo for plain) just to keep the assembly line moving.

I got some more work done this weekend, hope to post it tonight.  And I’m about to sell a boatload of stuff (if anyone is interested), will post on the blog.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Scale Creep Miniatures have painted 15mm Union and Reb figures 24 for 50 bucks….

Just Jack
    Participant

Kyote-John,

Brother, that’s too rich for my blood.  I was looking at Pendraken 10mm, or Baccus 6mm, but somehow I keep having my eye drawn to the 28mm Perry ACW Box Set: four infantry units, a cavalry unit, a commander, and an artillery piece (with bases and flags!) per side for ~$100.  That’s a pretty good deal; to the point I’ve been considering getting two!  Of course, then you have to actually paint all that stuff, and that seems to be where I’m falling down…

So I take your point about $50 for 24 painted, but infantry units for ACW are 12 figures in Rebels and Patriots, and you’d need between 6 and 8 per side, so you’re talking ~$350, without any cavalry, command, or artillery (and I’m a knucklehead about artillery, meaning I have to have limbers, or at least some spare horses to look like it’s being towed when it’s moving)…

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Jack, I got 3 Reb units and 4 Union which worked out to 350.00 plus the Arty and Cav another 50.00 so I got it all for 419.00 I talked about it on another thread I did. 90% painted I did 5 guns and 4 Arty crews and have a friend painting the 30 Cav figures. I have both sides for ACW for less than 500.00 and can game some actions now.

Edit, This is the fasts army I’ve done since my glory days painting DBA armies in a week.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by kyoteblue kyoteblue.
    Rod Robertson
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Just Jack/Jack:

I am looking forward to reading your Caen series of actions. The minis and vehicles look very good and the I know your reports will be gripping. It is however a disappointment that Herr Klink did not finish invading and conquering France before the allies started liberating it. “Mais tout est bien qui fini bien!” as the great English playwrite once said in his own language. Do you have a predetermined list of historical engagements which you are planning to run through or will the campaign jump off from history and develop along its own trajectory? I must confess I didn’t read your linked blog yet, I just looked at the pretty pictures. But I will!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

P?S. Hey Kyoteblue, mow the lawn and stop playing with your new ACW toys!

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Rod !!!! I got both yards mowed and I’ve been making split rail fences for AWI and ACW.  I plan to do a solo Rebels and Patriots ACW game based on the Cav action during the first day at Gettysburg soon.

Just Jack
    Participant

Rod – Glad to see you’re still amongst the living as well!  Talk to me about mojo; getting any gaming in?  I hope we’re all getting back to normal. I’m trying…

KG Klink is not kaput; I’m looking to finish off France with some smaller 5Core Company Command games, then ship them off to the Eastern Front.  That means North Africa and Italy are out of the equation, for now at least, but I want to build up 6mm Eastern Front forces similar to above.

My Caen/Normandy stuff will, with any luck, spread to Market Garden and the Bulge.  I’m looking at doing it different than my previous projects though; rather than follow one (fictional) unit through various historical campaigns, in planning to simplify play (not painstakingly researched) historical operations. I believe I’d previously made a list and posted here, it encompasses all the named operations (Bluecoat, Perch, Epsom, Tractable, Goodwood, etc…) I could find.  I’m still working on exactly what rules I’ll use and whether they’ll be battalion+ or brigade+ sized games.

Kyote-John – Yeah, that is pretty cool having an instant, ready-made army to play games with upon arrival.  Looking forward to your Gettysburg batrep.

V/R,

Jack

Rod Robertson
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

The painting mojo is back but it’s been directed towards Ancients recently. Hordes for the Hittite and two different Assyrian armies, plus more light horsemen for my Skythians and Neo-Babylonian chariots needing touch ups and repairs. Gaming wise, not much. A couple of games of WWI fighter combat is about it since the summer of last year. I moved out of Quebec in the fall and I have not found a strong historical gaming community in my new digs yet. They’re all young bucks playing fantasy/Sci Fi miniatures games. The move cost me a small fortune but despite the expense the movers managed to damage about 40% of my WWII, Cold War and Modern vehicles so I have been getting a start on fixing them before I get back to painting infantry. They also managed to damage about 10% of my Ancients, my Medievals, my terrain pieces, buildings and my 6mm Cold War stuff. So there will be a lot of work to get things back to where they were before I can make any real progress with something new. That new will be finishing of my Gallic/Gallatian army and my Sea Peoples Army plus finally finishing up the Soviets and Germans for the Barbarossa to Stalingrad period. Then come 1940’s French and BEF forces in 15mm and a full squadron of Canadian late war Shermans and Fireflies plus Armoured trucks and a dozen Ram Kangaroos in 15mm for an expanded D-Day to the Rhine set of games. The Ram Kangaroo models suffered badly in the move and have to be extensively repaired and then repainted.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Just Jack
    Participant

Rod,

Good grief! I’m glad to hear the mojo is back, or at least pieces of it (painting and planning, very ambitious planning, I might add!), and I’m so sorry to hear about all the damage during the move.  Stuff like that (hell, less than that, actually) makes me aggravated  enough just to sell it all off and start over!

In any case, good luck! And stay away from the Ancients 😉

V/R,

Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I have a Carthaginian army that could take on Rod’s stuff if he didn’t live in Canada and me in Oklahoma!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

Well, quit being lazy and get your butt up there, John!

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I can’t travel like I use too.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.