Home Forums General General Getting distracted

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

What do you guys do to keep yourself from getting distracted by the new spiffy minis or a new idea you got from reading or watching movies?

I find myself in a perpetual cycle of getting biplanes painted and ready only to want to play with WWII planes. When the WWII planes are done I have ideas for modern jets, and then on to scifi, rinse and repeat.

Participant

That sir, is my life.

Quite honestly, I don’t even try to stay focused. I figure it is a hobby, and if I enjoy jumping from shiny thing to shiny thing, well then, that’s obviously my hobby.

That said, I do attempt – and usually succeed – to stay focused on one project long enough to finish it, but only if I start actually applying paint.  Once the paint hits the figures, I try to stay the course.

Buying figures for a project, but never starting it doesn’t count in my world.

Sometimes to encourage myself to stay focused, I try and find different rules that enable me to start using some of the freshly finished figures, but long before the whole project is done.  For example, I’m painting up a WW1 Russian Army for Peter Pig’s Square Bashing.  It’s a big army, but I can use Nordic Weasel’s Trench Hammer because it requires far fewer figures and I can play long before the whole thing is done.

And sometimes I just line up all my figures that I’ve done so far, and admire them.  Sad, but true.

Participant

What do you guys do to keep yourself from getting distracted by the new spiffy minis or a new idea you got from reading or watching movies?

Nothing at all, where would the fun be?

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

I just pretend I am an over worked project manager with many projects, some of which are not progressing. 🙂

Keymaster

Generally I can resist by reflecting on the lead pile and knowing I have not painted what I already have, and should I buy more then I will need to either use my time to paint the new stuff or play with the painted stuff.

Time being precious I either play with the painted or paint new stuff.
    There is no both.

Plus, if something tickles my fancy by the time I have looked into it and sourced figures I am normally past the phase.
    If not then the lack of storage and lack of time kicks in.

Plus plus, I am having a lot of poor experiences with companies since stopping using my own miniatures and have no real desire to get involved in more PayPal disputes to protect my consumer rights and either get my goods or my money back.

Participant

Such is the curse of the wargamer/collector, if I won the lottery I would buy loads and have it all painted by someone else.  In the mean time I limit what I buy, looking on line at the vast selection of wargame items that are available.  Trying my best to stick to a couple of periods, medieval, SYW and WW2, which I manage pretty well.  However it is difficult at times, as stated there is so much to chose from.

My name is Will and I have not purchased any wargame figures today

Participant

As I wrote in “another place” 🙂

“I have figures in 1/3000, 1/2400, 1/1200, 2mm, 3mm or 1/600, 6mm, 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm, 28-32mm and 54mm scales.

I have enough lead, resin and plastic to keep me busy painting and basing for decades (that I probably don’t have).

But I am happy to keep buying items for projects current and future.

My expenditure on new stuff is not going to break the bank and my other needs are fairly modest. No car, no foreign holidays (unless you count trips south of the border, to Stockton!)

If I can’t find a willing opponent I’ll play solo.

If the rules expect me to use a table three time bigger than I have, then as suggested, I’ll use figures a third of the size they expect and adjust distances accordingly.

Experience has shown the wisdom of acquiring at least two opposing armies.

I am finding that planning and acquiring stuff for projects I may never actually start, let alone complete, is a great joy to me.

Excess, in moderation, shall be my watchword!”

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

I don’t try to stop myself from drifting. It’s my hobby, so I let it go wherever interests me for as long as it interests me, and if my ideas change I can always guarantee that I’ll have some old project to come back to and interest me again.

Participant

I just accept that I’ll flit from thing to thing as a fact of life……….

@Willz
    I feel like I need a 12 step plan to keep me focused on a project. first step is admitting I have a problem.

@Mike
    The lead pile used to work, especially when I comitted to making my own minis but since I got my own resin printer the problem got a lot worst. Any whim results in a new project.

The rest of you are enablers, shame on you.

Participant

The rest of you are enablers, shame on you.

You’re right.  I feel ashamed.  To make it up to you, why don’t you give me your resin printer and I’ll take that awful, awful burden from you.

More seriously, my friend bought a resin printer…and a week later a FDM printer.   As he fits the “butterfly” model of wargamer perfectly, just like Mike said – every whim results in a file download, if not a print or two.  He actually goes out of his way to find scenarios that will need some new terrain.

Participant

An enabler? Pft! 🙂

(with apologies to Tim Rice & Andrew Lloyd Webber and to the tune of “The Temple” in Jesus Christ Superstar)

“Roll on up then, Thomaston,
    Come on in then, Thomaston,
    Wargames here we go again,
    Live and breathe them, Thomaston.
    Here you live then, Thomaston,
    Here you breathe then, Thomaston,
    While your projects still survive,
    You at least are still alive.
    I got things you won’t believe,
    Name your pleasure I will sell.
    I can fix your wildest needs,
    I got heaven and I got hell.
    Roll on up, for my price is down.
    Come on in for the best in town.
    Take your pick of the latest shiney.
    Take your pick, now don’t be whiney.
    What you see is what you get.
    No one’s been disappointed yet.
    Don’t be scared give them a try,
    There is nothing you can’t buy.
    Name your price, I got everything.
    Hurry it’s going fast.
    Borrow cash on the finest terms.
    Hurry now while stocks still last.
    Roll on up then, Thomaston,
    Come on in then, Thomaston,
    Wargames here we go again,
    Live and breathe them, Thomaston.
    Here you live then, Thomaston,
    Here you breathe then, Thomaston,
    While your projects still survive,
    You at least are still alive.
    I got things you won’t believe,
    Name your pleasure I will sell ….. “

OK, OK, “Weird Al Yancovic” I am not 😀

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

I have a confession to make I bought Wargames Illustrated today and it had wargame figures, so a other day of buying toy soldiers.

@Mike Headen
    Have you ever woken up with a song in your head? I had that this morning.

I’ve been browsing the web for project ideas again. Only when I ended up looking at GW minis did I realize what I was getting into and stopped myself.

Participant

getting distracted is an integral part of the hobby 🙂

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.