Home Forums General General Getting your money's worth

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks

I often find myself making and painting pieces and or models that only get used once.
    Normally they are made for a specific scenario.

Anyone else spend hours and hours making something that they know will only be used once?
    (I did spend over a year making one thing that never got used)

• This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Mike. Reason: tsssk
    DM
    Participant

Oh hell yes, the number of times I’ve done this is beyond number!

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I spent a few evenings back in the 80s scratch building and painting/weathering two models of a truss girder bridge, both whole and destroyed, for a micro-modern scenario. Never used again.

But, as I’m fond of saying, I used to be into railway modelling. So no biggie.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Shandy
    Participant

For the first time, I’m starting a project that revolves around one specific scenario. The figures will be used for others, of course, but I also want to build dedicated scenery which probably won’t be that useful for other situations.

However, when I started to think about it, I realized I’ve made a couple of buildings before that I still haven’t used yet  So I guess I enjoy scratch building scenery more than I thought. Or maybe I’m just stupider than I thought.

Earther
    Participant

I used to be in the grip of the madness that is painting figures for RPG sessions. Could never keep up, so orcs and skellies subbed for gnolls etc. Really grated on me, so I gave up!

And a mate and I made a detailed 3D 25mm starship interior for Traveller and then suffered a total-party-kill the first session we used it! 

I can see the logic of specific models or terrain for a particular scenario in a tabletop game though. Sometimes its a shame not to!

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

I usually can’t stop myself, especially if it’s for a campaign scenario. I do manage to get more than one use out of some of them, not close to as often as I would like however.

I do love being able to present a piece specificly for the scenario in question, so I guess I don’t mind too much!

kyoteblue
    Participant

Sooner or later, I recycle every thing.

repiqueone
    Participant

This is a strong argument for only buying generic terrain and structures, which may be reused in many different periods and scenarios.  Bridges, village structures, small farms, etc. are readily used from 1700-WWII in Europe; Pegasus Bridge, not so much.  At nearly $300 U.S. That would seem to make for a pretty expensive scenario.  At a typical movie price of $8 for 2-3 hours of entertainment it would take over 35 plays of the scenario to provide equal rewards.  I don’t think I could enjoy the movie, ” A Bridge Too Far,” that many times!

The big culprit here is the big group convention game where everybody contributes figures, painting, and money, only to play it once and then much of the paraphernalia is never used again, but clutter up the wargame room for years!

No one ever calculates the space required for such monsters, nor do they have any way to exhibit their work again!

I had two wonderfully constructed forts by Herb Gundt; one a French and Indian log fort in 28mm scale that was 2 1/2 foot square, and the other a half Vauban Fort that was 2 1/2 x 4 feet.  They were lovely.  I used them each once, and after walking around them for a few years, trying to find any space that they didn’t get in my way, I finally sold them off.

I have now switched entirely to generic, sub -scale (using 10-15mm for 28s), and modular terrain and structures which store away easily, cost a fraction of the larger sized structures, and are actually closer to ground scale.  They look great in photos.  My semi-scale modular 10mm. La Haye Sainte has been several chateaux over many games.  In fact, once a hill, bridge, village, or chateau is given a historical name and placement on the wargame table, any issue of scale, detail, or enjoyment is moot as it becomes it’s namesake in the mind’s eye of all the player’s.

I can see the modeling interest building a 28mm Hougoumont, but I think these one of a kind, huge, specific, and costly items are only marginally useful in actual wargaming.  It is nice for those seeking attention.

A lot if this is the wargamer’s dreams being bigger than his table, and often his wallet!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by repiqueone.
    Northern Monkey
    Participant

Nope, never, I don’t put on games at shows or do demo’s so I really cant justify spending my limited gaming time making one off scenery no matter how cool the piece maybe, I waste* enough time making generic scenery for the multiple periods I already play. Conversely though I would help out if my limited skills were ever needed for a club/show project(highly un-likely as the club is full of excellent modellers)

* anything that doesn’t involve actual game play is in a sense, a waste of gaming time to me, even though I enjoy both painting and scenery making.

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

I usually can’t stop myself, especially if it’s for a campaign scenario. I do manage to get more than one use out of some of them, not close to as often as I would like however.
    I do love being able to present a piece specificly for the scenario in question, so I guess I don’t mind too much!

To be fair, in 6mm, the cost for one extra guy is like 15 cents, so it’s not as big a deal 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Mike
    Keymaster

The cost rarely is, but the time however…

Steve Johnson
    Participant

I use generic terrain that will work from Ancients to the Modern day, with specific items such as buildings changing to suit the period being played. I simply don’t have the storage to have loads of specific items that rarely, if ever, get used.

John Treadaway
    Participant

All the time. Grrrrrrrr

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.