Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming Ghost of Tsushima really is that good.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

It’s by no means a revolution in the genre of open world semi RPG games. But it might be one of the best in it’s genre.

Superbly made, fantastic details and graphics. A well made story with a realistic down to earth setting. No monsters!

Set on the Island of Tsushima in the 1270s during the first mongol invasion of Japan, you play a young samurai who must fight against the occupation,  save his uncl, and build an coalition of ronins,  farmers,  theifs, and ladies to take back the island.

The island of tsushima is well made, beautiful but war torn.

Golden forests, nice coats lines, waterfalls and very friendly foxes.

You can choose between the honorable samurai way, or go the way of the ronin/ninja, or a mix of the two. You also have the ability to go more archer in style.

Like all these games you upgrade your weapons and armor/clothing. You do quests to progress the story and get new gear.

The skills you can learn are many and cool. Various stances are more effective against some types of enemies. And you need to change stances on the fly.

So nothing new, but extremely well made.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Really cool!  I hope they port it to PC, I’m not very good at playing on my PS4.  But give me a keyboard and mouse…

I’ve been longing for a really good Samurai sandbox game.  I hope someone can do something similar to Kingdom Come.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

mark leslie
    Participant

I’ve heard nothing but good things about it and the Akira Kurosawa mode is a nice touch for fans.

Rhoderic
    Participant

I had been anticipating it, maybe more than any other game that was set to launch in the final year of this console generation. But I’m now forced to cut back my video game budget, so it’ll have to wait for when it’s cheaper, or maybe when a PS5 version with enhanced graphics launches (if there will be one). For now I’ll just watch it on YT and Twitch.

It seems to be very much like an Assassin’s Creed game without the things I don’t like about that franchise. I’m glad Assassin’s Creed didn’t get to the feudal Japan theme first, or Ghost of Tsushima might never have been made.

This being a Sony game I can’t see it getting a PC port.

Interestingly it’s made by one of Sony’s Western studios, not a Japanese one. Seeing how they used Asian-American actors (very good ones) and the lip-synching matches only the English audio, I think of it entirely as a Western game, albeit one that gets the classic Japanese chanbara/jidaigeki feel quite right. The topic of historical invasion warfare between Japanese and mainland Asians might still be too sensitive in Japan for a Japanese studio to want to touch this subject matter.

Thomaston
    Participant

I’ve been meaning to watch a letsplay of it but been saving the watch for a long evening of painting. Did look around the net after you posted and realized it was PS4 only. I don’t expect a good port to come out of Sony, they’ve rarely put out good ports, Nier Automata was an unsupported disaster.

Tired is enough.

Rhoderic
    Participant

I don’t expect a good port to come out of Sony, they’ve rarely put out good ports, Nier Automata was an unsupported disaster.

Nier Automata is a Square Enix game. I was about to say Sony never ports its in-house games for other platforms, ever. But I just Googled it before hitting “submit” and realised they’re porting Horizon Zero Dawn for the PC, thereby ending their old policy. So who knows, maybe a Ghost of Tsushima PC port could be a thing after all?

Thomaston
    Participant

Hmmm, I screw up on Nier, I keep assiciating anything on PS with Sony.
    I don’t know I’ll wait and see about Horizon Zero Dawn. Guerilla made pretty good games but I don’t remember them ever doing PC ports.

Tired is enough.

I’ve been playing for like 20 hours maybe more, I knew I was on just act one. But when I finished act one, suddenly I realised I’ve only been playing on about 1/4 of the total map. (I hadn’t even explored all that 1/4)

Even after 25 hours you still unlock  new stuff. I suddenly got “ghost  mode” were after killing so so many enemies without taking damage,  you get a sort of rampage mode, were you kill enemies with one cut. And other enemies start running away.

Also as you were starting feel overpowered, some more difficult versions of the basic enemy types show up, they aren’t so good as to nullify all the skills and powers you’ve gotten.   But you have to be more careful.

I had planed on playing through this once as a samurai then play again as a Ronin in Kurosawa mode. But given how big this game is, I’m not sure I’ll ever finish it.

Rhoderic
    Participant

I do hope they fix the lip sync problem. Kurosawa mode sounds awesome otherwise but I can’t see myself playing it if the face animations remain stuck on English speech.

I don’t find it to bothersome.

I tried the Kurosawa mode, it feels very good, at times it really does look like a real B&W film.

The biggest problems I’ve found with playing with the Kurosawa mode is it can be really hard to spot archers. They just disappear into the vegetation.

Also a little problematic is the various visual ques and prompts that tells you when to block and when to dodge, they can be hard to spot in the chaos in B/W.

Rhoderic
    Participant

The biggest problems I’ve found with playing with the Kurosawa mode is it can be really hard to spot archers. They just disappear into the vegetation. Also a little problematic is the various visual ques and prompts that tells you when to block and when to dodge, they can be hard to spot in the chaos in B/W.

I’ve heard similar remarks elsewhere, though I’d been hoping it wasn’t that bad. Those old chanbara films were shot with the full understanding that it was all going to be black-and-white, so they used all the tricks of the trade to make things stand out well. In Ghost of Tsushima the black-and-white graphics mode seems to be more of a filter overlaid on the colours as an afterthought. The underlying graphics were of course originally, carefully designed with contrasting hues in mind, rather than contrasting brightness/darkness. FWIW the game really does have a beautiful colour palette in normal mode.

I wonder if they might still be able to tweak Kurosawa mode so the underlying graphics translate into a more contrast-conducive greyscale.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.