Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Giant Atomic Mutant Ants

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

“Bugs, Mr. Rico. Zillions of em.”

A friend has started a “Them” project – US National Guard vs. Giant Atomic Mutant Ants c. 1952. It looks like a lot of fun. I’m inspired. Probably nothing will come of that, but at the moment, I’m inspired.

He’s doing the project using 1/72 plastic figures and kits. However…the image has entered my mind of this game done using 3″ plastic armymen and corresponding vehicles, all left in their original raw plastic. The question I have is – where can I get suitable ants? In quantity and not too expensive.

The ants in the movie are really huge, but I think I could settle for maybe six inches long. Also, I might could use bugs that aren’t necessarily ants, if they’re intimidating, maybe giant spiders.  I thought that the old “Cootie” game might have an appropriate raw-plastic aesthetic, but it seems the new, redesigned sets are far too kawaii for my needs:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/COOTIE-Game/6486362

Can anyone here source a product for me?

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Keymaster

Too big, expensive and in the wrong part of the world?

BIGBUGS

Oooh these may be OK?

Participant

I get my dinos from the dollar store. I recall seeing some really big ants and grasshoppers as well in the 6″ range.

Now I want to game Robert Aprin’s The Bug Wars

Participant

Thanks for the research, Mike. The Wild Republic bugs look good, but still expensive. I’ll have to check the dollar stores, a source I’ve neglected lately while I catch up on my backlog.

Participant

Well woudja lookitthat. After I poked around on their website, the Amazon sales-bots emailed me a whole list of options to meet my giant plastic bug needs. Some of the more economical choices were:

The gross of creepies for just $15 is mighty tempting, although the Bucket of 30 for $19 may include more actual ants – it looked like four different ants in that set.

It’s a golden age.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.