Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Gift Box Housing

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Thomaston 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

I’ve seen someone’s post about desert buildings made with gift boxes, so I bought some to do my own, but then I stumbled on an image on pinterest and followed it back to the blog it came from. So suitably inspired I started my own. These are for my Traveller Wargaming Project Gift Box Housing 1

I used some metal doors, windows and fittings from GZG, as well as some scratch built from thin cardboard.

Gift Box Housing 2

Gift Box Housing 3

The lids/roofs lift off so you can actually put your troops inside.

Gift Box Housing 4

Box Housing 1

I picked up some small storage boxes and kept the box from some cotton buds. The storage boxes are going to be storage sheds while the larger box is now a Workshop/Garage.

Blister Pack Housing 1

This is the blister pack from the Jurassic Island car pictured below. I picked up four of them, I liked the shape of the blister pack so I kept them all. I think with some careful application of masking tape, a hatch from GZG and some grey paint I can make some nice bunkers out of these.

Blister Pack Housing 2

These are for the same project but since they’re not terrain, I’ll talk about them elsewhere.

I’m waiting for a dry day to paint these, it seems like it’s always raining here at the moment.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Works well.  I love interesting  shaped blister packaging.  I also just realized I just threw out some foam packing I wanted to save to use as docking bays… aw crud!

Have you thought about using electrical boxes as well?  They are often both interestingly shaped and inexpensive.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

Gzg is amazing.  I saw these on the Tiny Solitary Soldier Blog and was impressed.  These look really good.

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Works well. I love interesting shaped blister packaging. I also just realized I just threw out some foam packing I wanted to save to use as docking bays… aw crud!

There’ll be more foam packaging, there always is.

Have you thought about using electrical boxes as well? They are often both interestingly shaped and inexpensive.

Yes, I’ve seen a few blogs and photos showing off electrical boxes converted into buildings. I have one of those industrial style switch boxes I plan to use, but I’m also going to hit Bunnings or somewhere like it for some more interesting shapes.

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Gzg is amazing. I saw these on the Tiny Solitary Soldier Blog and was impressed. These look really good.

I love GZG’s stuff.

That’s where I saw them first, but I did find them on another blog as well, I just can’t remember which one.

Thomaston
    Participant

This is great, you could even use lid from slightly bigger box as balcony. Would the gift box swell with paint?

Tired is enough.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I am wondering about making them upside down.
    The lid would be a sort of skirting around the bottom and you would have to cut into the lid to allow the door to fit, but maybe they would look less like a box?

Not that they look bad at all…  😐

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

This is great, you could even use lid from slightly bigger box as balcony. Would the gift box swell with paint?

Yes, or a fenced yard. Not sure, yet, will paint them up as soon as I get time and a sunny day.

I am wondering about making them upside down. The lid would be a sort of skirting around the bottom and you would have to cut into the lid to allow the door to fit, but maybe they would look less like a box? Not that they look bad at all…

Perhaps using a bigger box lid so it acts like a low fence surrounding a small yard and house/building, or a shoe box lid:

shoe box tenement

Cut a small gate in the middle, and a larger one in the left foreground and you’ve got a long narrow suburban block with just enough room to get the family groundcar down the side into a backyard garage, behind the house. It would need some good paint work, to make it work, but I can see it. I can also see my wife going ballistic as all the lids to her shoe boxes disappear.

I like the simplicity of just gluing on the doors and windows. To me they look like cheap affordable prefabricated housing, the type of dwellings one would find in the crowded together in startown, in hastily thrown up suburban areas (with shoebox lid yards), and in rural settings on frontier worlds. With different sized boxes of about the same depth, you could stack these up to create high density housing areas.

I was originally going to make them into desert or middle eastern style buildings, by taking the lid off, turning the box upside down and putting the lid upside down on the top like this:

Desert Building

I may still do this with another batch.

The more we talk about this the more ideas pop into my head on how to use them. I seriously need to get the first batch finished, do up at least one ‘shoe-box lid’ fenced yard and hunt down some different sized and maybe different shaped boxes and try out the high density housing thing.

Thomaston
    Participant

You could also use the box without the lid, turn it on it’s side and it’s a garage/warehouse.

Tired is enough.

Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

Would the gift box swell with paint?

Apparently not.  I used a Rust-oleum 2x Ultra Cover Flat Grey Primer spray can.

They’re dry to touch, but I’ll leave them for 24 hours to make sure.

In case your wondering it does come off with methylated spirits (and a lot of rubbing), I know, I sprayed my fingers.

Anyway here’s some pics to prove it:

Two story gift box

Grey Storage Box

lowset gift box

grey garage

Next time I won’t be lazy and I’ll carefully remove the labels from boxes.

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

I really like what you are doing here and on the Traveller thread, and am looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    Robert Foran
    Robert Foran
    Participant

I really like what you are doing here and on the Traveller thread, and am looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Thanks. I’ve also started on three bunkers from the blister packs from the first post. I shifted the door/hatch to the rear. As they are I can lift them up and put troops inside them. I want to keep that, so if I do base them I’ll need to make it something they can be lifted off allowing the troops to be placed inside.

Blister Pack Bunkers

Thomaston
    Participant

They look really good especially the plastic ones, very prefab.

Tired is enough.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.