Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Glorantha

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

What are the best, original source books for Glorantha? There’s a bewildering array of material and I want to compile a definitive library to match my Tekumel collection.

Etranger
    Participant

This http://www.glorantha.com/product/guide-to-glorantha/

I got on the Kickstarter and this is a gorgeous and comprehensive piece of  work. IIRC the pdf version is available but the hard copy sold out rather rapidly.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Etranger.
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

Lagartija Mike:

If you are trying to build a collection of Gloranthan Material from the Chaosium days of RuneQuest through the HeroQuest/ Hero Wars material of Issaries to the Design Mechanism’s most recent materials then a combination of the Glorantha.com site and Amazon and E-Bay are good places to start. If you are interested in learning about the world of Glorantha but not in collecting materials from all over the last 35 years then I strongly recommend the two volumes of the Guide to Glorantha by Moon Design which is an outstanding product. It has no creature stats or rules mechanics but is rather a very comprehensive study of the regions, geography, races and cultures of just about all of Glorantha. For rules and stats you must make your choice of which system to use. There are many. Some play RQ II (Chaosium’s updated version D100), others prefer RQ III (Avalon Hill’s version D100), others like either Hero Quest or Hero Wars (Issaries’ version D20), some like RQ by Mongoose set in the Second Age of Gloranthan History (D100) and then there is the Design Mechanism’s D 100 based RQ VI which is the current incarnation of the game. For trade magazines look into Wyrms Footnotes, Tales of the Reaching Moon, Tradetalk, and RuneQuest Adventures.

On a personal note, I believe that a combination of RQ III and the unpublished RQ IV rules set in glorantha makes the finest RPG I have ever played or reffed. If you want miniatures you should see Roderick Robertson’s (no relation to me) Light of Action web page for inspiration. Figures are available from Lance and Laser (now owned by Armourcast), Rapier Miniatures, and many more.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Etranger
    Participant

Personally  I prefer the RQII version. RQIII is ok, but didn’t quite have the same ‘feel’ as the earlier version to us. We back converted quite a bit of the RQIII material to RQII. There is a newer version but I’ve got no experience with this version http://www.glorantha.com/product-category/rule-systems/

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Etranger.
    Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

It’s impossible not to love a pantheon that includes an axe-wielding psychopath named “Babeester Gor”. They don’t make RPG worlds like this anymore. It takes me back to David Hargrave’s “Shardra the Castrator”.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

One Caveat, I hate Ducks!

Etranger
    Participant

They taste good though!

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Etranger:

Would you say the Ducks are “Delecti-ble”?

Cheers and good eat’in.

Rod Robertson.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.