Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Gloss varnish on acrylic caulk?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

I am working on 28mm WW2 European terrain, and one of the things I want to make is a beach (for commando raids, Normandy landings etc). My idea is to make an “ocean” about 6 feet long by between 6 and 12 inches wide. This would be laid over the sandy beach. I plan to make the ocean with acrylic caulk painted like water (similar to how flexible acrylic caulk roads are made). I would want a gloss finish to the ocean, but I am worried that a brush on gloss varnish will crack if applied to the flexible ocean surface. Does anyone have an idea if this is the case? Or does anyone have an alternate method for me to give my acrylic caulk ocean a gloss effect, bearing in mind that the ocean will be flexible (I am thinking of maybe applying a layer of clear silicon caulk over the acrylic once the acrylic is painted).

I do realise that doing an ocean on a rigid base would do away with this problem, but really want a flexible ocean so that it can lay over a sloped or flat beach, and so that the piece is usable on the long or short table edge.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I would go with the silicon caulk overlay. The varnish will crack.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Paul
    Participant

Yeah, thanks, you are confirming my concerns. Will go with the silicone caulk overlay.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.