Home Forums Ancients “Go throughout the tribes of Israel…and enrol the fighting men…”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

I was bored yesterday, so I lined up my little Hebrews and photographed them.

The army was started sometime after I saw the film “King David” (1985), and initiated my move to historical gaming from fantasy. The army has grown, bits have been repainted, rebased and/or replaced. The majority of the figures are Chariot Miniatures, either in their original incarnation or the born-again Magister Militum version, but there are bits and pieces from many other manufacturers. The slingers, for example, are a mixture of Minifigs and Xyston.

Chariots:

The Kings chariot, left of centre, with horses for some reason in West Ham colours, is gold leafed.

Horsemen:

Cherethites and Pelethites, David’s mercenary bodyguard:

Gibborim:

Blades:

The chap with the bright shield is Uriah the Hittite, before David nicked his wife.

Spears:

Bows:

More bows:

Slings:

Baggage:

The waggons are filled with Eilat stone, copper ore  from the alleged site of King Solomon’s mines.

Camp:

Tents from Baueda. All of my armies/collection include birds, preferably gallus species, hence the cockfight.

Finally ambush markers:

The unfortunate chap hit by the wrath of God is a wizard’s victim from Peter Pig.

To add authenticity the dirt and stones on the bases is from Megiddo. (OK, it adds nothing but, in my head at least it’s cool!)

Oh… and the Biblical quote in the title is from 2 Samuel 24:2.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

OB
    Participant

Very nice to see that army, you don’t very often.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

No. That’s because, despite having God on their side, they’re crap!

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Very nice looking army!

MikeMike
    Keymaster

To add authenticity the dirt and stones on the bases is from Megiddo. (OK, it adds nothing but, in my head at least it’s cool!)

It does add something, it adds coolness, as you rightly say!

zippyfusenet
    Participant

Great work on one of my favorite armies. I like the detail on those tiny little Chariot Miniatures faces. And the lightning bolt is a stab of genius. I’m a fan of Chariot minis, though I find them to sometimes be weak in the ankles. I often reinforce their ankles with a dab of epoxy.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

Thanks all, and, yes, the Chariot figures are great. I’ve heard of the problem with their ankles, but not noticed it myself. I’m always most irritated by the inevitable tree-trunk thickness, yet flexible, spears and bows, all of which get replaced with beheaded lace pins or brass rod.

Iain FullerIain Fuller
    Participant

I reckon West Ham colours are the best colours so very apt for a King.

Meggido, nice. I used to go past it on the bus quite a bit.

Rod RobertsonRod Robertson
    Participant

Geof Downton:

Your Hebrew Army looks amazing. Well done! Is it your only Biblical army or have you painted up foes for it to fight? Maybe some Satic Egyptians or Neo-Assyrian baddies are needed? Keep up the great work and I hope to see more of your work on TWW.

I build multiple armies in any period I game so that I have access to foes and options for games. For example in the late Bronze Age period (c. 1300 BCE) I have built a Hittite Empire army and a New Kingdom Egyptian army and I am still working on completing an early Middle Assyrian army and a Sea People’s host.

In the Iron Age Empires (c. 700 BCE) I have built a Neo-Assyrian Empire Army, A Babylonian Empire Army, an Elamite Empire and a Skythian horde. The embryonic nucleus of a Median Army is bought and prepared but has not hit the painting table yet.

Next up is a Mycenaean Greek and/or Minoan Army to complete the Bronze Age group (although I am toying with the absurd idea of building an utterly crappy Kaska/Gasgan army to annoy my Hittites with). Khurasan Miniatures has a lovely range of Gasgans in 15 mm which combined with some Chariot minis like Guti Higlanders, etc. will make a nice host of Anatolian and Zagros Mountain Barbarians.

in the classical period I have built a Polybian Roman army, a Celt-Iberian army and a Gallic/Galatian army and an Imperial Roman army and a Dacian army. I have a bunch of Parthians ready to go, but that’s further down the line, I’m afraid. Too much to paint and not enough time to do it.

Cheers and be well.

Rod Robertson.

Geof DowntonGeof Downton
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words.

Is it your only Biblical army or have you painted up foes for it to fight?

It is at the moment, I’ve recently been making buildings to go with them, to be found elsewhere on this site.

A month or two back I increased the lead pile with some Philistines, the obvious opposition for this army; with the addition of half a dozen or so chariots they will (OK, might) become next winter’s painting project.

Khurasan Miniatures has a lovely range of…

…dinosaurs, which I have just been distracted by!

Rod RobertsonRod Robertson
    Participant

Dinosaurs Lol!

Hebrew Raptors vs Phillistine Allosauri! But beware the host of Assyrian T-Rex coming from the East! Rex-razzia!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.