Home Forums WWII Goliath sdkfz 302 / 303

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Grimheart
    Participant

Hi,

I am trying to find out some basic unit organisation of these tracked mines and my google fu has failed me!

All I can find is that they were supplied to certain engineer units.

Does any one have details of unit organisations at the platoon and / or company level? ie how many Goliaths, number of personnel, vehicles.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Regards

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Etranger
    Participant

Some information here http://militaria.forum-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=386 but it doesn’t really give much detail. It’s mostly talking about the panzer units.

This may be useful if you can find a copy. Jentz & Doyle are usually fairly detailed about such things. Jentz, Thomas L. Panzer Tracts, No. 14: Gepanzerte Pionier-Fahrzeuge (Armored Combat Engineer Vehicles, Goliath to Raeumer). S. Darlington, Maryland: Darlington Productions. ISBN 1-892848-00-7

Mike Headden
    Participant

Might be worth a look at

http://militaria.forum-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=386

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Grimheart
    Participant

Thanks for the linky.

Although its a bit all over the place there is some handy info.

I did not know the control vehicles were stugs and tigers as i had assumed they would be operated from halftracks or similar!

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

deephorse
    Participant

The StuGs and Tigers were the control vehicles for the Borgwards and not the Goliaths.  I hope you picked that up from the links.  If you want to know more about the Borgwards then there is a wonderful book called “Funklenkpanzer” by Marcus Jaugitz running to 610 pages.  I’m lucky enough to have a copy.

Less enthusiasm, please. This is Britain.

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

The control vehicles for the radio controlled Borgward BIV were indeed StuG III and Tiger 1E vehicles.  For example

301 was built up to 4 companies by the addition of 312 as the 1. Kompanie. When the Allies landed at Normandy 301 was attached to 2. Pz.Div. with an operational strength of two Pz.III, 32 StuG, and 146 B IVs. The organization had been updated by KStN 1171f dated 1/Jun/44 as follows:
    Leichte Panzer Kompanie funk
    Kompanie Trupp: 2 StuG (SdKfz 142/1)
    1. Zug: 4 StuG (SdKfz 142/1) and 12 Sprengstofftrager (SdKfz 301), plus 1 mSPW (SdKfz 251/1)
    2. Zug: (Same as above 1. Zug)
    Sondergerat Reserve of 12 Sprengstofftrager (SdKfz 301)

Schwerer Panzer Kompanie funk
    Kompanie Trupp: 2 x Tiger 1
    1. Zug: Tiger 1 and 9 Sprengstofftrager (SdKfz 301), plus 1 mSPW (SdKfz 251/1)
    2. Zug: (Same as above 1. Zug)
    Sondergerat Reserve of 12 Sprengstofftrager (SdKfz 301)

Abteilung Stabs Companie: Ambulance SdKfz 251/8, Engineer & Recce Platoon 3 x SdKfz 251/7, AA Platoon 3 x SdKfz 7/1 (quad 2cm FlaK)

The Goliath vehicles were, as far as my reading goes, controlled by dismounted Pionier (engineer) teams (not Panzer force).  The Goliaths could be transported in vehicles (halftracks and trucks even on the rear deck of tanks) and then taken forward in handcarts to the initial launch point as they were quite noisy.  They were cable controlled (mostly).  They carts could be towed by HalbKettenKraftrad and probably other small vehicles.  An operating team was 3 men.

Etranger
    Participant

Those tank companies always seemed to be a waste of perfectly good armour!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.