Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Grand Battles Napoleon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Gents,

This is my first official post on this new wargames website and I am delighted to be able to contribute.

Siege Works Studios has just launched its latest wargame called Grand Battles Napoleon as a book through Lulu.com I have just finished the first army book supplement called Napoleon’s Grande Armee. The army book deals with all the French army options available between 1808-1815. There is also a section covering the Royalist army of the La Vendee 1790-1815 covering the rebellions specifically the War the Vendee.

I am looking for good quality, clear photographs with well painted miniatures of your French or La Vendee armies. You will be given a credit in the credits page as well as ye odd photo throughout the book. Is anyone or any company interested in sharing their photos for the the book.

If you do not have French but would like to contribute to the other army list books happy to welcome you into the photo fold 🙂

For more info please contact me here Drew [email protected]

Cheers
    Drew

Keymaster

Thanks for joining and posting!

😀

Thanks Mike 🙂

Grand Battles Napoleon is a corps + Napoleonic Wargame. The basic unit is the regiment, battery of artillery or battalion of skirmishers. Command and control, leadership and fluid tactics and national traits allows for an exciting 2-3 hour game of Nappies.

You can purchase the rules as a PDF from here http://www.siegeworksstudios.com.au or as a book from here http://www.lulu.com/shop/drew-birkmyre/grand-battles-napoleon/paperback/product-21874794.html

Cheers
    Drew

Participant

These look interesting Drew and I’ve had a look at your website. Could you provide a bit more info on how firing and melee is calculated?

Cheers,

Neal

P.S. I’m going to appear a bit pedantic here, but you say the infantry REGIMENT is the base unit and this put me off at first. Looking at the site/forum am i right in saying this is actually BATTALION?

μολὼν λαβέ

Hi Neal,,
    Koenig Krieg is battalion based. Koenig Krieg is our 18th century game. Grand Battles is a higher scale at regimental level for you basic unit. There is no reason why you cannot play it at battalion level. However I enjoy running a corps + instead of a division + for Napoleonic. A regiment can be tiny, weak, standard, full strength and over strength and vary between 16 and32 figures for an infantry regiment and 8-16 for cavalry. Gun batteries represent 3-4 guns per base and most countries have 2 bases (6-8) guns. The Russians, Danes and ottomans may have three bases representing 10+ gun batteries.

All shooting starts at 4+ on a. D6 to hit. Screens, cover, shaken and disorder modify the chance to hit. Units shoot 1D6 per base. Hits are accumulated until there are enough for a base to be removed. Most info/cave have 4 hits. Most skirmish battalions (Represents the divisions light companies, and battalions from the regiments broken down into skirmish order) have 3 hits as do artillery and screens (a regiments skirmish companies) 1 hit each.

Melee works based on the unit morale class 3-9 (9 representing such crazy troops as the “gods” and 3 representing the worst militia, most troops are Class 5) + modifiers + a D6. Mass, square vs cavalry, disorder, leadership attached and so on all add or subtract from the morale class in melee.

Units are activated in divisions (corps, army artillery reserves are also classed as divisions for the purpose of initiative). Each player’s overall commander has an initiative class between poor-1 and excellent +3. Both players roll 1d6 for each divisions round after round and the winner of each round is the player that rolls the highest modified initiative.  All divisions will be activated in a turn but the order is based on who wins the initiative each round. Ad to this the ability to act out of turn through response rolls and you soon learn that each player is always “in the game” so as to speak.

Winning the game can be based on who fails army morale or if playing points a combination of who fails army morale, damage inflicted, objectives taken and other factors. The game is fully playable as either points based or from historical lists.

Hope this helps explain the game a bit better.

Cheers
    Drew

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.