Home Forums Modern Great Blue vs. Big Red

This topic contains 32 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  McKinstry 2 months ago.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Mr. Average
    Participant

I took it in mind to dig out some spare parts again, this time from a long-lost and abortive attempt at introducing FFT3 or CWC to my game club. But armed now with some highly simplified Introductory Rules for FFT3, I’ve decided to take a stab at an “intro game set” at 3mm scale.

To sidestep the obvious pitfalls of “That’s not how NATO would have fought” and “That’s not what the Soviet would have done” I’m taking a page from the book of one T. Blanchette and using made-up powers with roughly comparable equipment, both post-“Soviet” in style but mired technologically and politically in about 1983.

The preliminary color tests are cartoony but pleasantly striking. I don’t really have names for the countries yet. Azurnerreich and Krasnyorad, maybe, to use the “Blitzkrieg” idiom. Or perhaps Arstotzka and Kolechia. Or something else. The Green is for a potential neutral power so a third player could join in if desired.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Ah yes, I played the bejesus out of the old Blitzkrieg game when I was young.  Always hated when I wasn’t watching for those seaborne landings…

I think the idea of using basically similar forces with fictitious coloring and names is the way to go.  Keeps expectations from being formed and the grognards from getting to biled-up.  Also, if both forces are equal, you really get to see who has the better tactics/strategies.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Lovely color schemes! Makes mine look very pedestrian.

Btw, I did a Blitzkrieg 50th aniversary fan edit with new maps and counters and rules. It’s all in files on the Bardgame Geek’s Blitzkrieg page.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Mr. Average
    Participant

You’re too kind, I’m sure!

And @DS: I’ve even been thinking of going the whole distance and using the “Retro Sci Fi” vehicles from O8 as my units but that would be one step too far from reality for the club I fear.

McKinstry
    Participant

I’ve used Blitzkreig for multiple campaigns. Kudos on your paint jobs and using hypotheticals to make the game free of “actual” constraints that limit the imagination.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

cmnash
    Participant

I agree – your colour schemes are both appealing and striking!  I created my own imagi-nations for an early cold war 3mm conflict, although I’ve yet to get around to actually playing any games. I’ve got a blog dedicated to it here:  Wars of Turkmenistania (feel free to lift anything for your own use!)

I used Nordic Weasel Games’ Not Just a Brush War, which was helpful & thought provoking, although it may be too detailed, depending upon how much effort you want to put into your made-up powers

Mr. Average
    Participant

I agree – your colour schemes are both appealing and striking! I created my own imagi-nations for an early cold war 3mm conflict, although I’ve yet to get around to actually playing any games. I’ve got a blog dedicated to it here: Wars of Turkmenistania (feel free to lift anything for your own use!) I used Nordic Weasel Games’ Not Just a Brush War, which was helpful & thought provoking, although it may be too detailed, depending upon how much effort you want to put into your made-up powers

I’ve seen your work and I dig it! I may well use the NWG generator for some flavor, as a matter of fact – I’m not sure if I’m going to characterize this as two post-Sphere of Influence “Eastern” states during it out or some kind of big power breakup. The former might again stray too close to “Yay, Commies, Yay Capitalism” and be distracting, the latter might be easier to swallow up as “Hard Liners” versus “Reformists” in a more generic but still engaging way.

I am surprised that I really find your colour schemes appealing. Very nicely done!

No more so than I! Cartoony paint jobs like these usually read as “sci fi” to me, which is fine, but typically a turn-off to my friends at the club, outside some narrow exceptions (40K and Battletech being the only ones coming immediately to mind). But these feel about right and in a narrow context I hope they’ll serve my purposes.

cmnash
    Participant

I’ve seen your work and I dig it! I may well use the NWG generator for some flavor, as a matter of fact – I’m not sure if I’m going to characterize this as two post-Sphere of Influence “Eastern” states during it out or some kind of big power breakup. The former might again stray too close to “Yay, Commies, Yay Capitalism” and be distracting, the latter might be easier to swallow up as “Hard Liners” versus “Reformists” in a more generic but still engaging way.

That’s a great idea – the break-up of a larger state.  If the reformers are backed by a rival power, that would help explain the differing equipment

Please keep us updated on your progress – I for one will be following it avidly!

Mr. Average
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>That’s a great idea – the break-up of a larger state. If the reformers are backed by a rival power, that would help explain the differing equipment Please keep us updated on your progress – I for one will be following it avidly!

</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>That was my thought as well – they can start with the same stuff and then diverge as the game gets more sophisticated, if interest takes hold.</p>

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

Lovely paint jobs. I really like those colour schemes. They make me want to try a Command & Conquer: Red Alert-style game in miniature. Shame I am steering clear of new projects until I complete a few old ones. I look forward to reading some reports of your games.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://www.lakesidearts.org.uk/whats-on/vikings.html

Mr. Average
    Participant

Hah! Funny you say that, I’ve considered that very thing! For the original C&C though – Somewhere I have a pile of model Tiberium crystals I made as an experiment!

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

The more I look at these the more I like the red and blue schemes.  You should pop those onto some 15mm minis and see what the effect is!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

Hah! Funny you say that, I’ve considered that very thing! For the original C&C though – Somewhere I have a pile of model Tiberium crystals I made as an experiment!

That sounds awesome. We need pics of those Tiberium crystals too! A wargames campaign that models the game play of C&C could be great fun, perhaps with separate tabletop battles, although it could be fun just doing it all on one tabletop.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Somehow I feel like I’d do a Command and Conquer game at 6mm scale. The unit density of the game feels more right at that size. Now having said that, I’d also have to choose Original or C&C3 as my go-to. The former would probably use Moderns from GHQ and the latter would use Plasmablast figures, if they ever resurface.

In any event, I think Red vs. Blue here is going to be a straight up Big Power Breakup scenario with both sides using the same equipment and organizations to start. The setting I keep coming back to is the country of Zaftra, a formerly totalitarian country which is cracking up as its Council of Ministers slowly turns into a geriatric ward and liberals creep into the government. Red represents the Hardline faction, probably led by parts of the Army, Intelligence and National Security Police, while Blue are the Reformists, with the Marines, Air Force and other reform-minded parts of the Army. Initial scenarios would be meeting engagements as army units pick sides.

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

That all sounds really cool. I’m looking forward to reading reports from the front lines.

The element of C&C that I would love to add to the game is the resource gathering and building, either as a map campaign, or as part of the tabletop game. I suspect a map campaign would be simpler, and then you could transfer the action to the table, but playing it all out on one tabletop would be a great excuse to field all the transports and construction vehicles.

Mr. Average
    Participant

In the five minutes left to me between work and unconsciousness, I whipped up this:

The “Hardline Faction,” the Zaftran People’s Democratic Republic (ZPDR):

The “Reform Faction,” the Federal Republic of Zaftra (FRZ):

And a selection of Hardliner vehicles and infantry from the Zaftran People’s Army.  The bases need to be painted still.

Ruarigh
    Ruarigh
    Participant

I love those paint jobs still. The infantry look the business too. The Hardline faction’s flag is great. I’m less sure about the Reform faction’s flag, because it looks a lot like a liquorice allsort to me. Mind you, I wouldn’t trust my opinion. I’m the guy whose main faction has a frog on their flag!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Reformist forces.

telzy amber
    telzy amber
    Participant

Lovely color schemes! Makes mine look very pedestrian.

Btw, I did a Blitzkrieg 50th aniversary fan edit with new maps and counters and rules. It’s all in files on the Bardgame Geek’s Blitzkrieg page.

Where? I logged into Boardgame Geek but can’t find them? Played Blitzkrieg a zillion times in the old days and loved Dunnington and Simonsen’s module system system when that came out years later.

I’d love to see yours

cmnash
    Participant

The “Hardline Faction,” the Zaftran People’s Democratic Republic (ZPDR)

The “Reform Faction,” the Federal Republic of Zaftra (FRZ)

And a selection of Hardliner vehicles and infantry from the Zaftran People’s Army. The bases need to be painted still.

Well, Mr Average, I have to guess that your first name is ‘Above’, as these certainly are!  The flags are great and the paint jobs definitely continue to impress!  Keep up the good work!

I’m hesitant to admit it, because I doubt anything will come from it, but you are very close to getting me off my butt and actually doing something with my own imagi-nations …  

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Lovely color schemes! Makes mine look very pedestrian. Btw, I did a Blitzkrieg 50th aniversary fan edit with new maps and counters and rules. It’s all in files on the Bardgame Geek’s Blitzkrieg page.

Where? I logged into Boardgame Geek but can’t find them? Played Blitzkrieg a zillion times in the old days and loved Dunnington and Simonsen’s module system system when that came out years later. I’d love to see yours

The counters and maps can be found here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/126754/blitz-50-fan-edit-edition

My incomplete take on the rules is somewhere in the Consimworld discussion of the game. It was recently re-linked there, so it shouldn’t be too hard to find. It is also on the AH Blitzkrieg Facebook page.

telzy amber
    telzy amber
    Participant

Thaddeus Blanchette thanks!

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Very nice painjobs, they look like a good fit!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Work has been such a whirlwind lately that this one has kind of stood on end, but hopefully I can relax a little today – God knows I need it!

I wanted to mention that the project has made me take another look at Blitzkrieg (both 1965, 1975, Module System and BlitzWorld) and I may want to roll this thing out as well, if only for the sake of nostalgia. Compared to some games I’ve played it’s very straightforward and simple. Not without its flaws I’m sure but still, has a ton going for it.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Does this look familiar to anyone?

A little something something I’ve had going on the side to go with all this.  It’s formatted for 4’x6′ vinyl or cloth print, with 3/4″ counters.

McKinstry
    Participant

That is seriously cool! Is it a jpeg file somewhere?

Mr. Average
    Participant

When it’s done it’ll be a file format appropriate for printing – a PSD or a TIFF.  My plan is to print on vinyl from Vistaprint, which is what I’m sizing for.  Assuming it doesn’t cause someone to freak out IP-wise, I’ll put it on BGG or somewhere.

McKinstry
    Participant

I look forward to seeing that. The old Blitzkrieg map is simply perfect for hypothetical campaigns.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

You might want to check out my redone map on the Geek, Mat.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/2830665/blitzkrieg?size=large

Mr. Average
    Participant

What do you think I’m basing my map on? 😉

Your work on the subject is very comprehensive, and definitely my jumping-off point.

McKinstry
    Participant

I’m really pumped at the idea of taking a file to a print shop and getting this on 4×6 vinyl.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

There’s a sand-colored base one on Boardgame Geek, McKinstry. If you are hoing to print mine on vinyl, I suggest you use that. I did the map with the intention that it be printed on sandstone colored paper, a la Redmond Simonsen.

McKinstry
    Participant

I’ll give it a shot in two weeks as I’m off to the Pac Northwest for a bit.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.