Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Has anyone ever played MAATAC?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Average
    Participant

Just out of curiosity. I’ve looked high and low for anything to tell what this game was like, but have found nothing. It’s still in print, and the minis (delightfully old school superheavy robot tanks) are still made, but beyond people saying “It’s Fun” or “It’s too old,” I can’t find any information on what it’s like to play. Anyone have any experience with this forty-some year old relic? It’s the kind of thing that catches the imagination and I’m curious.

Tony S
    Participant

I agree – the subject matter is compelling.

That said, here’s a couple of brief reviews (albeit longer than your two word examples).

http://starfleetwars.blogspot.com/2012/02/maatac-miniature-reviews.html?m=1

Still in print though?  From where?  Are the miniatures still being sold?

(Edit – just found it at Monday Knight Productions.  The miniatures are definitely and charmingly unique)!

Mr. Average
    Participant

I went ahead and ordered it.  It may just be the level of “simple” I’m looking for, and the retro aesthetic deserves a place on the shelf.

madman
    Participant

There is a very detailed review in the BGG site by Eric Hotz. Just scroll down a little bit.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10227/maatac/ratings

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yeah I saw that after the fact.  I’m still willing to give it a whirl.  But it may be more accurate to say I bought the miniatures with a copy of the rules on the side.  If MAATAC as-is doesn’t suit, I’ll probably convert for Dirtside II, and then add in all my 3mm scale minis to dart around and make trouble.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Well, my MAATACs arrived and I have to say that most images I see online don’t do them proper justice. They’re great figures and surprisingly sharp and detailed for casts originally pulled in the 1970s. As I was warned, the game rules are disappointingly slipshod – the rulebook comes in at an efficient 12 pages with a lot of gaps in gameplay that a more sophisticated or better-tested rule set would fill in. For mass battle, Ogre Miniatures might suit, or Armored Thrust (although the latter is only in play test). I think Strike Legion Tactical would also be a good match. However it’s great nostalgia and has sufficient information to allow a conversion to a more complete game system.

I’m most impressed scale-wise. These figures seem to anticipate the advent of 3mm scale gaming, as they are ideal matches as BOLO-sized combatants alongside the O8 and Microworld 3mm lines, and capture the aesthetics of the Laumer stories really well. The Dinochrome Brigade is definitely going to roll with this!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Size Comparison, for those interested.

Tony S
    Participant

What’s “Armoured Thrust”?  Is that a ground version of Full Thrust?  Sounds intriguing.

Thanks for the update, and the photos.  They do look absolutely tremendous.   I have fond memories of Laumer’s Bolo books.  Considering the vast amount of weaponry a Bolo had (I seem to recall one story where the tank used liquid nitrogen to counter an enemy grappling waldo.   Because tank designers often include useful systems like liquid nitrogen sprays) all the little bumps and gubbins seem very appropriate.

There’s a wonderful article about how they sculpted the related spaceships.  I imagine they used the same techniques on the MAATAC tanks?  As you observe, in spite of CAD and 3D printers, they more than their own.

http://supergalacticdreadnought.blogspot.com/2011/08/making-of-starfleet-wars.html?m=1

Mr. Average
    Participant

They do indeed! And with modern paints they take on a very cool aspect. Retro but very unique.

I had an unexpected lull in my work and got Sunday afternoon off, so I painted my first two MAATACs in what I hope are suitably “Melconian” colors. I really like their style.

Mike
    Keymaster

Do like.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Beautiful stuff, as always!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.