Home Forums General General Have you discovered that you can sculpt?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rhoderic
    Participant

The technical aspects of the aesthetic arts don’t come easily to me. It’s taken me a very long time to get a good grip of how to paint miniatures to a satisfactory standard, and I still struggle a lot with things like colour selection and the supposedly-intuitive application of highlights and shading. So I had become largely accustomed to thinking of sculpting as something that’s far, far beyond me; if I could barely paint other people’s sculpts in a way that does them justice, I definitely did not feel equal to going one level higher than that and sculpting the figures my own self.

Nevertheless, over the years I have played and experimented a bit with Procreate and Green Stuff. My early experiments were rather pathetic – which is also partly why I’d become accustomed to thinking I can’t sculpt – but some of my later ones… well, it’s very slow going and a damn lot of fiddling, but they’re actually not half bad. So my confidence is growing and mentally I’m in a somewhat unfamiliar place now, coming to realise that maybe, just maybe, I can sculpt, which if true is a big deal that expands my options quite a lot. I still couldn’t sculpt a 28mm human from scratch (especially if that’s to include musculature and other anatomy) but some of the conversions I’ve been working on have included sculpting new garments and equipment, and those have gone better than expected now that I’ve learned some lessons by way of the slow-paced practice I’ve had over the years. I’m starting to think that given a good dolly/generic and plenty of time, I could make something interesting like a fully kitted-out sci-fi/fantasy character all of my own. It’s… a giddy thought.

I have nothing worthwhile to show for all this yet, and there may still be brick walls ahead of me that I’m not seeing, but anyway, I don’t mean for this thread to be about me. I’m asking the rest of you: Have you had similar experiences? Have you discovered that, in fact, you have the capability to not only paint figures, but to actually sculpt them yourself? If so, was it a dizzying revelation (as it is for me) or is it something you’ve just sort of always known you have a knack for (as I presume is the case with most professional sculptors)?

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

So long as you don’t set too high a standard for yourself anyone can sculpt.

Rhoderic
    Participant

So long as you don’t set too high a standard for yourself anyone can sculpt.

That wasn’t really the case for myself 10 years ago, but add the dimension of time (and practice) and I agree that anyone can get over their early setbacks and gradually, slowly learn the knack of sculpting at a level that may not be quite professional but is still decent. The fun part is when one begins to realise that one’s skills have – unnoticed – begun to reach “critical mass”. The horizon begins to look much broader at that point.

Angel Barracks

I discovered that I have the raw talent in there and I have sculpted a few figures as part of my range.
    But the problem lies in that I know it will take time to get to anything like what I would be pleased to release unto the people.
    So I could take the time out to practice but that would mean not spending time on things that I need to do now to pay the bills as it were.

Maybe I can sell TWW and concentrate on AB?

😀

Rhoderic
    Participant

I discovered that I have the raw talent in there and I have sculpted a few figures as part of my range.

I’ve mucked about a bit with 6mm sculpting as well. I find that anatomy becomes easier at that scale (more generous margins of error) as does most clothing (less need for finesse when sculpting folds and creases) but other challenges present themselves instead. Items that are supposed to have a lot detail – like guns on sci-fi figures – are tricky. The biggest difficulty is that without an armature the figure will be too flimsy to stand up to sculpting (because shaping putty does require applying some force, after all) but 6mm armatures can be a lot of hassle to make so they’re neither too flimsy nor so rigid they can’t be shaped right. Frankly the easiest thing is to file down an existing 6mm figure into an armature or a dolly of sorts, but obviously that entails considerations of its own if one intends to cast and sell the figures.

But the problem lies in that I know it will take time to get to anything like what I would be pleased to release unto the people. So I could take the time out to practice but that would mean not spending time on things that I need to do now to pay the bills as it were. Maybe I can sell TWW and concentrate on AB? 😀

It’s funny, my financial situation is not very good and I lead a rather modest life in regard to expenditures, but I’ve been thinking that if I ever manage to sculpt figures good enough to be commercial, I might just give them away to a trustworthy manufacturer so as to increase the chances they’ll be moulded and cast. I’d just love to give something back to the hobby someday, but running my own miniatures “company” out of Sweden doesn’t seem a very workable idea – it’s really a very Anglosphere-centric industry. At any rate, I might never be that good of a sculptor, so it’s a bit of a pipe dream.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Jaysus, that’s a big emoticon! You might still have some fine-tuning left to do with forum formatting, Mike 🙂

Mike
    Keymaster

:O

Thuseld
    Participant

I have experimented with adding garments, utility belts and smoothing out joints of old Star Wars Miniatures that I converted. But in reality I have never tried sculpting a figure or anything. I would love to try but time and space stop that. I would rather paint up some 6mm and have a throw down on the table.

Gaz045
    Participant

I was chuffed that I ‘sculpted ‘ afro hair on a couple of German motorbike riders, colourful paint job and they became Somali pirates……….( blue tack and super glue as a medium)… I have some green stuff about somewhere but once opened……….I don’t need that many afro-headed pirates….or Germans.

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

I think my equivalent of the ‘I can sculpt!’ moment was ‘I can cast figures!’ For me, I see sculpting as a natural progression from playing with play doh and plasticine as a child, then modelling with clay and Fimo when I was older. Casting was something I never thought I would do, and finding that I could opened a whole world of possibilities.

Cerdic
    Participant

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

No.

Maybe anyone CAN sculpt, but not everyone should….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.