Home Forums General General Help Me Decide What To Paint This Weekend

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This week has been a complete s***show, and all I know is I want to paint something this weekend, and then maybe push it around a tabletop. But I don’t know what and I can’t find a mood. We all have these moments I imagine, so I’m going to try to let fate and the community decide.

So help me, folks, and I’ll post my results here to your very good health. The options are:

1) 15mm Scale Rogue Trader (Read: Planet 28 Rules) in the Badab War setting:

2) 3mm scale mass combat planetary invasion using Laserstom 2nd Edition;

3) 3mm scale Legions Imperialis;

4) 6mm scale Dieselpunk;

5) 3mm Scale Fantasy (Warmaster);

6) 6mm Scale fantasy (Fantastic Battles);

7) 15mm Scale SF3D.

Keymaster

5, 6 or 7.

none of the above, instead head down to the game store and buy a completely new period/scale and just half of the forces needed for a game.

Mick Hayman
    Margate and New Orleans

Participant

none of the above, instead head down to the game store and buy a completely new period/scale and just half of the forces needed for a game.

Game store? New game?

Are you TESTING me, Satan?

you can not die if there is still a fig in your mountain that remains unpainted when Death calls upon you.  We all know that playing even chess with unpainted figs is rude…he won’t be willing to play the match and leave you alone

Mick Hayman
    Margate and New Orleans

Participant

And do not forget a whole new range of paints to try.

You could also add a new cutting mat, knife, files, brushes and a storage box or two -just to make sure 🙂

I would go for a small project that you can turn around quickly and get something you feel you have achieved an aim TBH – 4 / 5 / 6 may be obvious ones with 5 being my favourite.

No matter the result – enjoy yourself and do not suck wet coloured end of the paint brush!

Participant

Huh?  Are you even a human wargamer?  Are you suggesting that one can paint up forces for a game AND play it – all in one weekend!?

I consider half painting a few dragoons over a weekend a victory.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Still, even though I now feel most inadequate, I’d plunk for Dieselpunk, rules unknown.</p>
    That said, I’ve been eyeing LI as well, but honestly wasn’t terribly impressed with the rules.  Didn’t seem to have much tactical depth, and far, far too many special weapon rules for me to get confused about.

I was thinking of using the figures with Horizon Wars: Midnight Dark, or Future War Commander or Laserstorm, the latter of which you’ve already mentioned.  Seems like a wonderful dovetailing.

Participant

Agreed on the latter point. I’ve been hearing that LI is quick out of the gate but faded in the stretch. But I read the new edition of Laserstorm and I’m quite happy with how all-inclusive it is, especially with organization and campaign structure. A very elegant system, and this from he who has poked fun at the “Five Units Of Distance From A Place” series, so I guess that wraps it up for my cynicism.

Participant

I too can’t decide what to paint this weekend …. so I might just buy the Gangs of Rome starter set.

That way some weekend soon I’ll have one more thing I can’t decide if I want to paint or not! 🙂

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

Well, it looks like the only common denominator so far is 3mm fantasy, so I’m peering at my teeny tiny empire army, here. I forgot, somehow, that there’s a War Wagon in there, which is amazing. And in Mike’s honor I suddenly had an idea of a scheme for a regiment of Stirlanders.

And in case of a change of heart I also primed a bunch of 3mm scale Marines, too. Never hurts to have options.

Participant

do not suck wet coloured end of the paint brush!

How am I supposed to clean my brushes?

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

do not suck wet coloured end of the paint brush!

How am I supposed to clean my brushes?

I use my cup of tea 🙂

Keymaster

And in Mike’s honor I suddenly had an idea of a scheme for a regiment of Stirlanders.

Woop woop

Participant

You could paint some of my figures 😁 instead of your own.

Participant

Stirland Halberdiers. Mike: to your very good health!

Keymaster

Victory or Death.

Nice work on that banner.

Participant

Or cake.

Keymaster

Thank you for flying Church of England.

Participant

Well played, Mike.  Well played.

Participant

I have to say I like the dunned-down, slightly more military look of the Stirlanders.  And the fact that they fight the Undead is of course a bonus.  I guess I should finish my Ostland Halberdiers but they just don’t pop the way the Stirlanders do – white and black is rather bland, even with the red plumes.  I think my Archers will be Stirlanders, too.  I have some Pistoleers on horseback, but something tells me they’re from a wealthier province, maybe Middenland or Ostermark.  My pikemen are definitely going to be adventurers from Tilea.

Maybe I’ll mull it over while I start the War Wagon and finish the Knights of the Blazing Sun.  The great thing about Empire armies is that they are so eclectic you can go from regiment to regiment as the spirit moves you.

Really makes me hope the 3mm scale Undead come out this season.  Steve, we’re looking at you, buddy!

Keymaster

Stirland for life, and yes they do fight the undying.

“Don’t lecture me about defence! We of the Grand County of Stirland are the ultimate defence.
    Who do you think keeps Sylvania in check? Who keeps the dead pinned against the World’s Edge?
    Stirlanders, that’s who!”

—Alberich Haupt-Anderssen, Elector Count of Stirland

Keymaster

I think my Archers will be Stirlanders, too.

Deathjacks for a bit of red?
    Don’t forget The Stir River Patrol.

Participant

My Arquebusiers will probably be Stir River Patrol, or alternatively I’ll have them be from Altdorf. Incidentally, your help jump started my whole interest in the 3mm scale Warmaster set I’d been doing, and also got me into some artwork after a long period in the doldrums. To wit: a set of army cards for Warmaster came to my mind, and this led to Warhammer Armies for graphics, which led to a little of my own artwork inspired by it:

https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/197315/vx9xclttcxumyaa6oc4txb8isrm4isvp.jpeg

Keymaster

Yay, good skills that man!

Participant

Somehow I missed all of this, to which I would have stated “Ma.k OR NOTHING!!!!”

BUT, me thinks you chose well with those Stirlanders.  They did come out looking great.  Speed paints?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Have to applaud the line drawing – the proportions of your horse is way better than the pony / cart horse cross of the original!

Participant

All good soldiers need something to fight over, so here’s my nascent set of modular 3mm scale terrain tiles for the above entitled project. They’re Hexton Hills tiles printed at 200% scale. Quite a nice little beginning, even though a large portion of the edges and one of the main tiles arrived nearly pulverized from the guy who printed them for me. But a lot of dremel work and some primer later I think I’ve managed to get it together.

Keymaster

Ooh Flensburg.

Participant

One of these days I’m going to do Altdorf.

Participant

I supported the Hexaton Hills KS and never got around to printing anything!  Some of the tiles are really fantastic.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Print at 200% scale and you’re right here with me.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.