Home Forums WWII Hetzer Vs Sherman 76

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Norm S
    Participant

The Hetzer Vs the Sherman 76.

I lifted this slice of action out of a scenario in the Old School Tactical Vol II game.

I have put up a blog post that looks how OST represents these two vehicles and then moved to the tabletop to see how the Battlegroup miniatures rules handle the same action.

Link

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2020/04/the-little-hetzer-and-grizzled-sherman.html

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Great write up, thanks. I  always find it interesting how designers match gun vs armor.  I’ve felt that contests Battlegroup are generally at much closer ranges than the OST game (at least the Normandy games I have played) and thus the reason for leaving out the decrease in penetration over distance.  But in my mind, if your target is out past 800m it is good to have that sort of diminishment.

Love these comparisons you do!  Keep them coming please!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Norm S
    Participant

Thanks, certainly those gun / armour relationships that are borderline and where an attacker often need to be within 300 – 500 metres of a target vehicle, to get a successful result, is an area that can make an interesting study in designer approach and preferences. The four guns I immediately look for in terms of performance in a new design are the German 88/56 compared to the 75/70 and looking at where the German 75/48 and Soviet 85mm fit into that range.

Battlegroup does offer Extended Range for higher velocity guns, but the hitting on a ‘6’ is obviously not something to be relied upon.

Ours is probably something of a cartoon world in terms of the short distances that we ‘force’ are little chaps to set up and fight within, while expecting differences to be shown at those relatively short distances that we hope shows the different characters of our vehicles and their guns.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.