Home Forums WWII Hey War Panda !!!!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Hey War Panda I need your AAR over here as well !!!!!!

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Kyoteblue:

The War Panda’s been playing games? I thought he and the family were out in the wild taking advantage of Alberta’s all too short summer. I just pictured a pack of pandas running through the wild roses seeking out the softest of soft toilet paper! And now you say he’s gaming! Oh, the betrayal! Never trust the Irish!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Rod Robertson.
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Yep Rod , he has been holding out on us……Oh and he has cute Kids !!!!

War Panda
    Participant

Calm down, calm down 🙂

I went to post it here last night and found that I’d have to separately copy each image address again and there was a lot of pics and it was 1 in the morning here :0

In the end I actually could copy the whole thing directly from that other place…much easier than I thought 🙂

Hope everyone’s summer is going well (yes even Rod’s 😉  BTW we never did make it to Ontario in the end Rod so we’ll have to postpone our war and fighting (we might even fit in a game or two ;)…

Is Jack still in Cuba fighting the 100 years war? I’m sorry but I just can’t get into that war…I find myself cheering for Castro and the boys ;(

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

kyoteblue
    Participant

I’m feeling sorry for the Cuban Commies my self War Panda….And you do have cute Kids…not as cute as my Grand Kids.

War Panda
    Participant

….not as cute as my Grand Kids.

Said like a true granddad 🙂

Rod Robertson
    Participant

War Panda:

Count your lucky stars you were not in Ottawa today as it was 34 degrees Celsius with a humidex of 42 degrees!  For our American cousins that’s 93.5 degrees F with a humidex of 107 degrees F! In Montreal it got up to 33 and as I am too cheap to buy AC, I spent the day in a heat daze. No painting, no modeling, no gaming, no arguing with Just Jack. It’s too damned hot!

Cheers and good melting.

Rod Robertson.

War Panda
    Participant

I lived in Rome at one time of my life and could hardly bear the humidity and now that I’ve a little extra padding around the waist line well I just can’t take the heat at all 🙁

It hasn’t been too hot here thankfully so I can’t really complain…

Any luck with those saga minis?

Shaun Travers
    Participant

War Panda is back!  Hello War Panda!

Rod Robertson
    Participant

War Panda:

Saga and 28mm Dark Age are a project for the fall and winter.  I’ve pretty well narrowed it down to two to four warbands. One Scots, one Irish, and possibly one Viking and a fourth Anglo-Saxon. I am also intrigued by Rus and Breton bands but that would be long down the road. I have settled on figures for the Irish and the Scots, but I am still researching the Vikings and Anglo-Saxons. I am also looking into to ships to spice up the games. Finally, to give a North American twist to the Saga campaign, I am toying with Skraelings (proto-Inuit) and Beothuk First Nations too! So, lots of possibilities but no concrete steps.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

War Panda
    Participant

Hello Shaun! How are things down under my friend! Any gaming? I’ve been camping a lot here (in fact we’re off again this Sunday to Slave Lake up north…

Rod that sounds fantastically exciting…I love the sounds of “Skraelings (proto-Inuit) and Beothuk First Nations too”

I recently attended a Catholic first nation pilgrimage…while the rituals are Catholic certain rubrics are heavily influenced by their traditional  sacred ceremonies, the lake where it was held holy place. I really wanted to gain a lot more knowledge in some of the native history here. Can you recommend some reading on the subject?

BTW I’ve a long boat that ironically was shipped from Ireland and arrived in a terrible state…I’ll have to see can it be salvaged…

Looking forward for updates in the project once you get started in earnest…in the meantime enjoy the heat 🙂

Rod Robertson
    Participant

War Panda:

I am a little unclear about what reading you want recommended. If you mean the skirmishes between First Nations and Europeans then certain Viking sagas are good. For an ‘historical’ account of the first contact between Vikings and Skraelings read the Groenlendinga Saga and learn about Thorfinnr Karlsefni and his attempt to settle the new world. Good reading and great characters but of dubious historical value other than proving that a settlement was located in Newfoundland c. AD 1010. The Viking women’s defense of the colony is a classic. Likewise there are Phoenician, African, Irish, Muslim, Portuguese and even Chinese accounts of First Contact. However the juiciest story of them all is the archeology of the Maritime Archaic First Nations of the Atlantic seaboard. This archeology is gradually proving that First Nations peoples may have discovered and traded with late Neolithic Europe 6500 years before Columbus set sail to ‘discover’ America!

For more general reading about First Nations in Canada and the US in the pre-Columbian period there is a great deal of material. Too much to cite here. One thing is very clear however. The ‘history’ I was taught in school has nothing to do with the real history of the First Nations. So hang onto your hat and prepare for a wild ride if you choose to go down this road of inquiry. It will be rewarding and mind-blowing but it is not one-stop reading. Just to wet your appetite the oldest human remains found in the Americas to date seem to be of African (Brazil) and European origin and the earliest flint blades that even predate Clovis period flints bear a striking resemblance to Solutrean tools from Spain and Southern France. The fascinating remains of Kennewick man, which are now locked in legal limbo, indicate a person who looked a bit like the modern day actor Patrick Stewart, walked about in North America 9,000 years ago! So there is plenty of interesting material and controversy over the topic. Perhaps enough to kill for – see the fate of the Lewis and Clark explorers!

Cheers and good reading.

Rod Robertson.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Rod Robertson.
    Rod Robertson
    Participant

This is really odd. I keep typing in ‘f-l-i-n-t’ and it keeps coming out “flnt”! Very strange indeed!

War Panda
    Participant

You are an encyclopedia of lummy knowledge Rod…and it all sounds fascinating 🙂

Thank you very much

Rod Robertson
    Participant

War Panda:

Re: Lummy! “Cor Lummie!”, I haven’t heard that in years! Ah what memories!

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

Shaun Travers
    Participant

Hello Panda,

No wargaming here; well no playing  tinkering with various of my rules, reading some others, reading some books as background to some gaming projects.  Seemed to have filled up time with socializing, holidays with the family to New Zealand and still catching up on some TV shows with my wife.  But I have played a various games with the children, notably Zombie Dice.

War Panda
    Participant

Well at least it sounds like you’re keeping out of trouble which was my main worry 😉

New Zealand, I envy you!

kyoteblue
    Participant

Playing FOW on Sundays….waiting on FOW Fulda Gap to come out.

Shaun Travers
    Participant

If you are waiting for FOW Fulda Gap then you will alos be interested in my next sideline project,  Expect an AAR on it in the next few months, maybe (I should not really promise any gaming AAR at the moment as I haven’t played  a game in several months!)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.