Home Forums General General Hiding Your Spend

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks

I see this a lot on various fora and never quite got it.
    Why do some people keep how much they spend from their other half?
    Why not be honest with your partner?
    Do bills not get paid because people have bought more hobby stuff than their budget allows?

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Well, I’m glad you’ve said it Michael because it has always seemed a weird idea to me.

I’ve usually put it down to that sort of rather silly (in my opinion) gender divide ‘humour’ that is characterised as locker room or coffee morning chatter.

Whether it is men or women doing it, for goodness sake aren’t we adult enough to be honest with our partners? If we are spending money that is needed to feed kids, pay bills etc there is something wrong. If we have partners who are so dismissive of our leisure interests that we have to hide spending on them, again…

If we are embarrassed by spending such a large amount for a handbag, a pair of shoes, a 28mm Ghaznavid Army, perhaps we should pause and think – is it part of what I consider legitimate personal spending? If the answer is yes then grow a pair and be proud of it. If not – perhaps have a chat about the household budget before blowing it on unnecessary leisure items?

Earther
    Participant

Not something I keep from my partner either. She knows how much of a saddo I am already. She just resigns herself to it now. 

It is a strange notion and one I have seen across fora as well. Perhaps it’s older wargamers who are more prone to ‘mine n hers’ finances?

Northern Monkey
    Participant

Never done it or had the need to, my partner is fully supportive of my hobby and knows that I wouldn’t be so stupid to blow the food/bills money on toys

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Sane Max
    Participant

My darling wife does like to give me a hard stare if I spend large sums on what she regards as a luxury.

I therefore make a point of not actively telling her how much I have spent at a show.

It’s just slightly easier.

doing it in a sneaky way? No, never.

Gaz045
    Participant

I used to stash cash for several months before going to a show…………not divulging the total spend was another tactic………not to be sneaky really, just to avoid earache over ‘why do you need more?’  and the inevitable ‘re-broadcast’ at a later date………I always countered with ‘at least I’m not peeing it away at the pub’ gambit.

Now I don’t go to shows, mail order everything and can still afford to visit the bars in the village…….the cost of beer locally may have more to do with it tho’!

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Spurious
    Participant

I’ve never had to hide spending from anyone. But I did manage to hide spending from myself with my recent batch of ebay purchases, getting hold of a whole bunch of old beakie space marines.

Didn’t realise quite how things mounted up over a few weeks of buying stuff until I sat down and went through the paypal transactions list. Fortunately I managed to stop myself before I got to the cost of buying a modern 40k army.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

The bills are always paid, savings are always saved, holidays are always had, other household stuff is always taken care of. Mortgage is a distant memory, stepkid is flown. I think I might be allowed a little ‘me’ money without having to lie to my nearest and dearest about it..

Anyway, I’ve just bought Mrs NCS a new car. I reckon can blow my personal disposable income on inconsequential trifles until Christmas without her demurring too much 😉

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

willz
    Participant

Like Earther my wife knows that I am such a saddo that my toys are my hobby, as she sees it its better than putting money on the horses, drinking down the pub every night, wasting money on golf or football.  I am open an honest about what I spend, also for several years I have been down sizing my collection and selling unwanted painted and unpainted stuff so the money I make half of it goes on the hobby, the wife gets the other half (so she is on a winner).  Also I have my own hobby bank account because apparently I am all grown up now .

kyoteblue
    Participant

I spend less on my hobby than I spend on food….and all the bills get paid first.

Paul
    Participant

No need to hide the spend from my wife – she sees it the same way I see it when she spends ridiculous amounts of money on her hair: a waste of money, sure, but not a problem.

My wife’s issue with the hobby is piles of  unpainted lead and plastic: so I do tend to smuggle new purchases into the house for that reason.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

War Panda
    Participant

What a terrible state of affairs. You call yourselves men? What’s happened to the virtues of honour and courage?  I won’t dream of hiding my spending from my wife….

I just lock myself up in the bathroom for a couple of days and wait till it all blows over…besides she’ll find an excuse to beat me even if I don’t spend the cash on Hearthguard and Halflings

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

My fiance regards my hobby as she might an atavistic twin sprouting from my neck: as long as I keep it hidden and it’s idiot outcries muzzled she doesn’t mind the cost of feeding the poor deformed thing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.