Home Forums Ancients Holy Smoke!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Geof Downton
    Participant

The latest building for my 15mm Biblical settlement – a temple based on the one excavated at Arad.

Although ostensibly a temple to YHWH, the god of the Hebrews, it has two massebot (standing stones) in the holy of holies, thought to represent male and female deities. The two incense altars are of particular interest. On both were found residue from the burning of ‘incense’. On one frankincense, and on the other hashish. My building has no windows for a reason…

The enclosed courtyard includes an altar of burnt offering…

…and to one side is a market. Eventually I’ll make some shelters/canopies for the traders.

It is entirely scratch built from 2mm mdf on a base from Sarissa Precision. Multi coloured sand on base is from the Negev Desert via eBay.

Priests lightly converted from Xyston Maccabean rabbis. Other figures are from various places, including Museum, Blue Moon and Forged in Battle. The geese are from Minibits.

Jars and baskets are from Baueda and Crom’s Anvil or made from beads and jump rings.

The beacon on the roof is made from metal button and acrylic bases, but really it’s a handle with which to lift of the roof.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Mike
    Keymaster

Yay, I do like seeing your stuff!

Tim
    Participant

That’s a great model, properly inspiring!

Steve Johnson
    Participant

Lovely work and a nice bit of history too.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Wonderful work.

Mike
    Keymaster

That’s a great model, properly inspiring!

He has done quite a few, may be worth checking out his posts?

https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/users/geof-d/topics/

Geof Downton
    Participant

Thank you, you are all very kind!

He has done quite a few, may be worth checking out his posts?

…or if it’s only the Biblical stuff you’re interested in,  my (infrequent) blog: biblicalwargaming.com

Tim
    Participant

An apiary! And that souk! I won’t comment on each invidually, but between your blog and threads Geof, you’ve some fantastic stuff, my evenings browsing sorted

zippyfusenet
    Participant

What an excellent model of a fascinating and significant archaeological site. Bravo.

If I may…you might include in the scene some families come from the countryside with livestock to make a sacrifice, and some other families camped, making a feast from the sacrificed animal.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Geof Downton
    Participant

other families camped, making a feast…

Oh no! – now you’ve set me off thinking about stoned Hebrews with the munchies, sitting around the camp fire at a seasonal music festival…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.