Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Horizon Wars AARs: A galaxy united…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Thuseld
    Participant

Hidden in the jungles of Neu Europa lies a research centre. The locals know it exists, but also know that one doesn’t go wandering in the jungle there. The colonization efforts on Neu Europa were spearheaded by HySys GMBH, and it lies in a system that is contested by the UCS and the Collective of Systems, which can lead to interesting situations.

A distress signal is emitted. It is picked up by the both the UCS and the Collective. Each government wants to gain a foothold in this system so send forces to investigate.

The Collective sent a rapid mech strike team. Two P3 mechs (CHQ, M3, F5, A5, D4, and M3, F7, A5, D2) 3 P1 mechs (M3, F4, A2, D2) and 2 light infantry. They would be advancing from the North, hoping to secure the research facility before the UCS can arrive.

UCS forces consist of 5 elements of heavy infantry and 3 heavy tanks. The tanks can move faster, but do not want to get too far ahead of the infantry. They will advance up the road from the West, hoping to stop the Collective securing the facility.

An exchange of fire and the UCS armour manages to score a direct hit, severely damaging the defense capabilities of the mech. Lucky shot, or experienced crew?

Fire rains in on the advancing infantry, who should have probably taken better cover. Learning from their mistake, they scurry off the road and decide to sneak up the right flank, but not before first squad take some casualties.

Advancing up into the research facility, the UCS armour on the right flank exchanges fire with the beast mech.

Seizing the initiative, the beast opens fire on the advancing infantry, almost entirely destroying them. The few survivors hug the ground and hope for a chance to retaliate…or just survive the battle.

Praising God the driver of the last mech dies under a hail of glorious fire. In his final thoughts he hopes to be met in the afterlife by his ancestors, praising his glorious death defending the faith.

Fire exchanged between the beast and UCS armour. It is eventually destroyed.

Surrounded, the commander weighs his options. Today is not the day to meet his ancestors. Maybe he can be allowed to live on a UCS backwater planet, and keep out of the way? His ancestors will understand…he hopes.

The UCS set about securing the research facility and investigating what happened. Why the distress call? Where are the research staff, or even HySys security forces?

Full AAR and more pictures on the blog: http://inexperiencedmodelmaker.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/horizon-wars-aar-clash-on-neu-europa.html

• This topic was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Thuseld.
    Mike
    Keymaster

Interesting, did it go the way you thought?
    Did you have any expectations?

Thuseld
    Participant

I thought it would be more even. I actually thought the Collective’s mechs would cause a lot of trouble for the conventional forces of the UCS.

P3 mechs are powerful. There is no question of that. I gave one F7, which was pretty destructive at times.

P1 mechs are a mixed bag. I have yet to stat any up that I am very happy with. I think they might be more useful to be fast and harass the flanks and I just didn’t make them fast enough.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Some tough fighting there! Thanks for posting this ๐Ÿ™‚

Heavy cav can really take a beating before going down, and H. infantry with their high A score can be hard to dislodge.

As far as P1 mechs go, I always try to keep them at M 4 or even 5, especially if you engage infantry and other conventional elements. They definitely need the speed to be able to cherry-pick their targets and harass with impunity. You might want to consider running P1 mechs in squads as well, having 3 or more mechs move and fire as one can be quite deadly. Especially if they are fast enough to get up real close before lighting the enemy up ๐Ÿ™‚

greg954
    Participant

I’m wondering where the research staff are. What the facility is all about and why the dissress.

Thuseld
    Participant

Iโ€™m wondering where the research staff are. What the facility is all about and why the dissress.

I originally intended to hint at these things by making the buildings have some special rules, but completely forgot. These questions will be answered though, in the next engagement.

Thuseld
    Participant

Some tough fighting there! Thanks for posting this ๐Ÿ™‚

Heavy cav can really take a beating before going down, and H. infantry with their high A score can be hard to dislodge.

As far as P1 mechs go, I always try to keep them at M 4 or even 5, especially if you engage infantry and other conventional elements. They definitely need the speed to be able to cherry-pick their targets and harass with impunity. You might want to consider running P1 mechs in squads as well, having 3 or more mechs move and fire as one can be quite deadly. Especially if they are fast enough to get up real close before lighting the enemy up ๐Ÿ™‚

I am racking my brains about whether there is group movement/squad movement in the rules. You can have a Squadron Commander, can’t you, but I must admit I haven’t properly looked at that section. All good information though, and thanks for the advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.