Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Horizon Wars: Zero Dark – 15-28mm skirmish from Precinct Omega

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Alexander Wasberg 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Robey Jenkins
    Robey Jenkins
    Participant

Hi, all.

I’m working on something new to follow on from Horizon Wars.  Actually, I’m working on a few things, but this is the one that seems to have attracted the most interest and excitement.

Zero Dark is a sci-fi skirmish game.  “What?  Another one??”  Yeah, I hear that.  For a very long time I stalled on writing a skirmish game because there were a lot of good ones already out there (especially Infinity, which I love).  But Zero Dark is different.  First, it’s different because it’s generic.  Like Horizon Wars, you don’t need new minis – you can play with the ones you already have, plus you get an excuse to buy others you’ve always liked but never had a gaming reason to buy.  But there are other generic SF skirmish games out there, so why Zero Dark?  Well, the best thing about Zero Dark is that it offers a range of ways to play.  You can play old-fashioned player-versus-player (PvP), but Zero Dark offers enough customization options that you can also play team-versus-team (TvT) really easily.  Thanks to an innovative AI system, you can also play both Solo and Co-op modes of the game.

When the game is finished, there will be campaign systems for both PvP/TvT and solo/co-op modes, too, that will allow you to level-up your characters and gain new skills and equipment through the upgrades system.  There will also be a series of adventures: DLC, essentially, for the solo and co-op modes that put your team of characters through a series of tactical challenges that follow a distinct narrative that unlocks as you succeed in each mission.

The game is currently in alpha testing, rolling out the rules gradually as I finish them in draft and put them on the table.  You can follow along at the Precinct Omega Beta Testing forum:

http://precinctomega.freeforums.net/

To give you a taste for the core mechanics, I’m creating a range of illustrative videos.  Here are the first two:

EDIT – DELETED THIS ONE. REPLACEMENT INCOMING.

If you’ve never seen a game go through public development and think you might have something to contribute, why not follow along?

Regards,

Robey

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Robey Jenkins Robey Jenkins.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Well in the immortal words of Kent Brockman, “I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.”

Will it share mechanics with Horizon Wars at all? Will the two be compatible?

Robey Jenkins
    Robey Jenkins
    Participant

Sort of…  It shares the same DNA, as you’ll gather from the videos.  Positive tests are lifted straight from Horizon Wars and the three forms of basic movement are very much the same.  It also has the MFAD stats, although they are slightly different in meaning and use and armour is a separate stat (AV).

As to whether they’re compatible, well… they’re not designed to be.  But if you play HW at 15mm you could use the same minis in each, I guess.

R.

ian pillay
    ian pillay
    Participant

Anything that can be played solo gets two big thumbs up from me. The amount of travelling I do with days sometimes of having nothing to do is really welcome to allow me to get my fix. Skirmish gaming means it might also be possible to carry with me.

good luck within this project. If it is anything like HW then it will be awesome.

Tally-Ho!

Robey Jenkins
    Robey Jenkins
    Participant

I hear you, Ian.  My vision is that you can play it in 15mm on a 2’x2′ mat, with simple terrain, so everything you need to play, plus the latest DLC campaign “adventure” can be packed into a small carry case.  Easy to throw down on a kitchen table, at the club, in the FLGS or even in a hotel room on the move.

I might be running a playtest with my RPG group this evening: first outing for the co-op mode!

R.

ian pillay
    ian pillay
    Participant

Robey, 2×2 area with potentially everything in a small case…. Just take my money now! 🙂

Tally-Ho!

Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

I am beyond excited by a solo-friendly skirmish game. I can’t get enough of them. I wil probably be playing in 6mm though, the one true scale.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

I am beyond excited by a solo-friendly skirmish game. I can’t get enough of them. I wil probably be playing in 6mm though, the one true scale.

truth.

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Thuseld wrote:

truth

Hear, hear!!!

Both about the solo and definatly ’bout god’s own scale

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Robey Jenkins
    Robey Jenkins
    Participant

I was, of course, aware that there would be a cadre of frothing loonies who would want to play in 6mm.  It’s totally possible, of course, but it will be hard to assess whether terrain is jump-able and under what conditions when you get down below 15mm (it’s hard enough at 15mm), and I don’t know what unit of measurement you’d like to use for movement and shooting etc at that scale.

Personally, when it comes to skirmish gaming, I’ve always preferred 54mm, but the number of miniatures available at that scale is quite limited.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

I have always found using centimetres rather than inches works pretty well for converting to 6mm.

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Yep, same here, go with centimeters and as for assessing whether terrain is jump-able a laser pointer comes in handy (it is sci fi after all… …and that goes for the laser pointer too 😉 )

Cheers,
    Stroezie

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

A laser pointer is now on my birthday list.

Robey Jenkins
    Robey Jenkins
    Participant
    A new battle report for Zero Dark, with photos and some mechanical explanation along the way:
    Robey Jenkins
    Robey Jenkins
    Participant
    I was really hoping to have the final alpha test version finished and ready to share this weekend gone.  Unfortunately a major family crisis has slowed progress down, somewhat.  However, I’ve put up a stop-gap update because a number of important changes and additions have been developed and as I’ve got a contingent of new alpha-testers joining, I thought they deserved the latest gen.
    Important changes
    Well, first of all I’ve split “characters” into “heroes” and “allies”.  I nearly went with “extras”, but that was too close to 7TV (which is great, btw!) for comfort and not completely accurate, either.  Heroes are your principle actors.  They are the ones you customize and build.  Allies, meanwhile, have fixed stats and abilities.  At the moment, there’s a fairly narrow range of options for allies, but I see it being built on to add theme to campaigns and special missions.  We have remotes and emjays (embedded journalists) with rules, plus dogs.  I’m in two minds about retaining dogs.  They don’t really fit with my bespoke setting, but they feature a lot in my sources of inspiration.  Suggestions for more allies are welcomed.
    I’m really pleased with the emjays.  They are allies and you have to activate them like any character, but they can’t complete objectives.  Why on Earth would you include them at all?  Well, they work as a buff unit.  If the active character makes a test within an emjay’s LOS, the character gets a re-roll – this is supposed to represent the character trying harder because he or she is being filmed, plus the tendency of the emjay to film whatever’s most interesting/important at any given moment.  There will be more rules that involve emjays in campaign rules and missions involving civpop.
    I’ve also fine-tuned the Control Deck (formerly known as the AI deck, but I binned that to avoid confusion with AI characters!).  No iteration of the Control Deck hasn’t worked, but they haven’t all worked how I wanted them to.  The latest version has the Red Force moving around somewhat, but not too much, whilst equipping them with support tokens to make them more threatening, but not with too many!
    Get the latest rules here:
    Robey Jenkins
    Robey Jenkins
    Participant

A new battle report is up, with more photos and a lot of mechanical explanation as we go:

The Heist! – A Zero Dark Battle Report

Robey Jenkins
    Robey Jenkins
    Participant
    If anyone is interested in miniatures options for Zero Dark, check out my Pinterest collection accordingly:
    Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

I sometimes wonder what I would do if I came into a whole lot of money. I would need a new house in which to fit all of the miniatures.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

These battle reports are great for explaining and showcasing the mechanics of the game, cheers for sharing these!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.