Home Forums General General How diverse is your gaming group?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Assuming you game in a group that is more than 2 people ūüôā

How diverse is that group?
    Age? Gender? General outlook on life?

Are you all the same or are you all over the place?

Keymaster

not that I get up to the club very often but…

I think I am the youngest at 40.
    Their jobs vary massively, but as one would expect at such ‘an age’ they all have more senior/established jobs, than people often do in their youth.
    IT types, Army types, Art Directors, MD’s that kind of stuff.

All male.

Participant

I’m the oldest you damn kids get off my lawn !!!!

Participant

Well, we’re all caucasian, mostly male though there is one female in the group, and we’re top heavy in age with the exception of three of us under 40 including two under 30.

Our wargaming tastes vary a lot though. From ancients to Napoleonics to ACW to futuristic Sci-Fi. From skirmish to tactical to grand tactical.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Participant

Ages since I’ve been to the local club,¬†but it’s a¬†middle-aged, middle-class, male bunch. I get the impression the average age of wargamers¬†has increased in the last few decades, with video games (and to a lesser extent RPGs) seeing a much younger crowd, with – shock – a few women present. When I started going to a wargames club in the early 90s I was in my mid-teens and I wasn’t the youngest there, and the average age was probably 30. Now I think it’s closer to 50, with quite a few people in their 40s who haven’t gamed for years returning to play with their childhood toys (I never really stopped). Even the local GW seems to draw an older clientele.

I’m starting to feel a bit sad. Like this:¬†¬†Bald, round, and sallow; your typical wargamer.

Participant

Don’t get too sad. The store I sometimes go to, to pick up dice, has hordes of kids in there at any given time.

“Our” kind of games just tends not to attract them because outside of GW and FOW, nobody markets to them.

Participant

Our wargames club has around 40 members,wide range of social backgrounds but predominantly white men with a gradually increasing average age (there are some younger members).

The smaller group I regularly game with are in their 50s and early 60s, very broad political spectrum from left of Nestor Makhno to right of Ghengis Khan (but we avoid that), but similar social backgrounds and interests, unsurprisingly. We are almost all members of Wargames Developments, so we do WD stuff  -write out own rules, play a different game every week, wear silly hats etc.

Cheers

Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

I find the wearing of the silly hats to be the important part of any organization.

I find the wearing of the silly hats to be the important part of any organization.

Silly hats are silly, sensible hats however, like mine….

Participant

I used to have a very silly jungle hat somewhere, but my kid ran off with it and I have no idea where it is now.

I do own an Ushanka but it’s getting to the miserable part of the year where the evil fire-demon looms in the sky.

Participant

I wouldn’t call us a group, but there are three of us, ages range from 40 (two of us) to 44 (one of us), we’re all white Caucasian and I am an archaeologist, one guy is a graphic designer and the other guy is a debt collector.¬† We have pretty similar political leanings as leftie liberals. We have been known to wear hats on occasion.

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/stormofsteelwargaming

Blog: http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

Participant

I mainly play with my girlfriend, so concerning gender, we are pretty diverse, but not so concerning interests, political opinions etc. 

Sometimes, I play with friends, but this is also by way of personal relations, so the group is not very diverse when it comes to social and cultural backgrounds. MAybe I will join a group one day‚Ķ but I’ll certainly try silly hats, seems to be the thing to do!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.