Home Forums General General How do you control yourself?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

I played a couple of 6mm WW2 games recently. It was great. I have a nice collection that I am growing. This is my main project for historical gaming. However, I also played a somewhat disappointing game of 20mm WW2 with small figure count. It gave me the itch though. I keep seeing kits I want to buy and never build.

I have been playing cars with my son, and he has these lorries that look perfect for a 15mm sci fi/modern conversion. I don’t own anything in that scale…but keep thinking about it.

My brother plays 15mm WW2 and I keep thinking about it.

How do you guys control yourself and stop yourself spending the mortgage money on things you likely won’t ever complete? Or half starting projects that you won’t complete? I am struggling to justify not spending a bunch of money soon.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

I lack all self control, given my lead mountain, pile of rules never really played etc!

Not Connard SageNot Connard Sage
    Participant

Self control is for sissies

On the plus side, the mortgage was paid off years ago 🙂

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

Norm SNorm S
    Participant

The scale thing is a problem for me, I have my fingers in too many pies, each distracts from the other ….. lucky is the gamer fixed on one scale and one period!

irishserbirishserb
    Participant

For me, the first limiting factor was scale.  Early on in my gaming, I realized that scale was really a pragmatic issue.  My playing style was to use one to one representation, this dictated that small scale allowed games of bigger scope with bigger units, and that larger scales were more limiting, though could provide a different level of detail and flavor.  This served to exclude some scales altogether, and to focus on specific scales for specific periods, scopes, and flavor.

When I was about 30. I came to realize that there were two types of projects; those that I’m interested in and make a point to work on, and those that I’m interested in, but always put aside to work on something else.  What it came down to for me, was that when I had time, I would always work on a group of projects that I now refer to as “core interests”.  In my case, those consist mostly of periods that interested me prior to really getting into gaming.

Now it is simply a function of awareness of mortality.  I might have 30 years, but probably a lot less.  I’m not going to live forever, and there are some things that I’ve really wanted to do since I was a kid, for the most part, I’m finally doing them.  Getting distracted will keep me from things that I’ve treasured my whole life.

When I see something new, and I feel that, “These are really cool, I’ve got to have them” thing, I just think about the three rules above; scale, core, and impending doom.  It gets easier to just say “no”.

Sane MaxSane Max
    Participant

It’s a burden I admit it. I recently started painting 15mm FPW Prussians – I had a friend who was collecting French.

Turns out I misunderstood him – he doesn’t have any FPW french. So….. I have a 15mm army of Prussians underway…. I don’t enjoy painting the Prussians, and I know I will HATE Painting the French…. and yet…. and yet….. what use is an army without a foe?

another one is NewSetitis. this afflicts people that recently bought a new set. I bought one new army, and repurposed 4 others… and each one made me buy ‘this’ or ‘that’ to make it perfect.

To summarise, i don’t believe we do resist. I suppose wargamers are prevented from using their mortgage money to buy stuff as they would then have nowhere to keep the stuff they buy…

Chris Pringle
    Participant

First principle of war: Maintain the aim.

It took me a few years, but I’ve now worked out very clearly what kinds of wargame I like best, and therefore which wars and battles interest me and what armies I need. I’m very focused and disciplined about this, and I don’t buy anything unless it clearly meets that need. Not that I won’t play other games – but other people can provide the figures for those.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

BBBBlog

BBB on FB

Mike HeaddenMike Headden
    Participant

I have all the self-control of a toddler accidentally locked in a sweet shop overnight! 🙂

Fortunately my love of things in very tiny scales means I have the cash to pay the nice man when he finds me in the morning, hands and face liberally coated in chocolate. 😀

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

ThomastonThomaston
    Participant

Funny, I was thinking about this a few days ago after getting the urge to buy into some very nice minis.

Sometime ago I decided to try and make my own minis if I ever wanted to get into something new. It worked for me. Combination of committing to sculpting an entire range and the long time it takes to build up minis was enough to see if it’ll last or was just a spur of the moment. Most of the time I’m defeated by terrain, different scales needing new terrain, but it kept me solvant and not jump onto every new band waggon.

Tired is enough.

Thaddeus BlanchetteThaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I play in 3mm.

Problem solved.

I have scads of unpainted figures, terrain, and etc. and it all fits into two cupboards. I can do any period or project that takes my fancy, any time.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

MartinRMartinR
    Participant

In the main I decide what I want to do, plan what to buy, then buy it, paint it and put in storage. If I’m very lucky I might even get to play with it. I’ve discovered my main limitation is storage space, which helps keep the madness in check. OTOH if you think wargaming is expensive and takes up a lot of space with stuff you’ll never use, try re-enactment…. guess how much a 1952 dated General Service Shovel (short) goes for these days. At least I can use it to dig the garden.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

OldBen1OldBen1
    Participant

Give it time.  I find that if I wait 6 months to buy something the moment sometimes passes, especially unrelated projects.

willzwillz
    Participant

I used to buy what I liked (but that was before I got married).  As I got older I have trimmed down my collection, selling my unwanted but not unloved wargame items via wargame shows and flea-bay.  This means that my previous purchases are paying for my current purchases, so I now buy things I like or want.  I never used to sell anything but 6 years ago I decided to downsize and have not looked back, it felt strange at first but I soon realised that if I had sold something at a later date I could buy it back .

So buy what you like and can afford, paint, game and if you don’t game with it or paint it in a year sell it and try something else.  You can’t take it with you.

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

I operate on a pretty strict gaming budget—I’m fortunate that it is a decent monthly budget, but I try very hard not to exceed it each month. Very occasionally, in the case of a sale that is relevant to something I’ve been wanting, I spend my budget ahead of time (leaving me with no budget for a month or 2 or 3 in advance). Strictly limiting my gaming budget to a monthly amount means that often I have to wait until the next month starts to get anything else, helping me resist “ooo shiny!” responses. It has helped me, over the past year or 2, primarily limit my purchases to my active gaming projects (20mm Vietnam, 20mm WWII, 28mm 1500s era Japanese) with 1 havent-played-it-yet side project of 28mm scifi.

ian pillayian pillay
    Participant

Resistance is futile. I am a Wargames magpie. Storage is becoming an issue but I have gone for smaller scales to combat this slight issue 😉

Tally-Ho!

Andrew BeasleyAndrew Beasley
    Participant

How do you guys control yourself

Understand? I do not

Never been able to since the original release of The Valley of the Four Winds figures and I ended up with a pile of unpainted dead!

Since then eBay has had a fortune from me in sellers fees but I’m getting better in that I limit myself by project and size now I’ve cleared a big big lot of the lead mountain.  Oh yes, having a breakdown ‘helped’ but I really do not recommend that as a solution for anyone.

The best tip I can give is to select one project to start with that you want to work on and break it down into work and fun – if you like painting leaders but hate line troops then for each unit painted you treat yourself by buying and painting a leader.  All other projects should be packed away carefully labelled and detailed in a notebook where any ideas and ‘Oh shiny’ wants go. If the main project takes a long time regularly review the notes and prune them as a second look often changes or removes the need to spend.  When you start the second project prune the notes again but use them as a buying plan / sequence.

On a more serious note, the mental effort for a collector who dreams (I’m an INFP for those that understand these) to stop thinking ‘Oh I could do this and this but look there is this and this AND this but over here there is this…’ is massive and it’s not as easy as The Minimalists make out. I do recommend ‘Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less‘ as an aid.

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

I only game with 15 mm figures so that way I only need 15 mm buildings and terrain.

Thaddeus BlanchetteThaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Or, like I said, go 3mm and have all the armies, all the time, and even more…. Just really small ones. Use 6mm for skirmish games.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

ian pillayian pillay
    Participant

Use 6mm for skirmish games.

Its the future 👍

Tally-Ho!

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I find lack of time, space and budget trumps oooh shiny desires.

I buy based on project.  I have no need for new projects.  I just buy miniatures that help enhance current projects.  Even better is when I have miniature armies nearly built and a fine rules set like Never Mind the Billhook’s comes along, I am almost ready to go.  I’ve actually filled in the extras with stuff I have rummaged from other projects.  A bad ebay purchase of a Welsh army helped fill in levies and some gifted bare metal of Late Medieval miniatures helped with a couple of units of men-at-arms and a unit of longbows came from a bag of old glory longbowmen that I grabbed from the flea market at Cold Wars.  A great feeling when you can actually complete a stalled project.  That is the motivation for self control.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

ThuseldThuseld
    Participant

Some very varied responses here. I think funds are my main thing holding me back. I tend to do a couple of big purchases a year and then have to make due with what I have. But that 15mm sci fi…so tempting.

jeffersjeffers
    Participant

I wrote an entry on my blog about this sort of thing. I decided to embrace my butterfly mind and work out how to deal with it. The solution was to identify two or three key periods that will always keep my interest and invest the effort in those. For minor or passing interests I would create small forces a la One Hour Wargames/Neil Thomas (6 – 8 units) that can be completed quickly as side projects to rest me from the main events. If I find they bore me, or don’t float the boat when I get to the table, I can drop them without wasting much time and lucre. I also stay with 20/25mm so I don’t have to duplicate terrain.

ignore what I said about Pony Wars 6mm 😆.

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Jemima FawrJemima Fawr
    Participant

As Chris said: Identification and Maintenance of the Aim is the key.

Unfortunately I aim to do all of the Napoleonic, 2nd World, Seven Years, American Civil and Cold Wars… And thus far I’ve maintained that aim quite successfully…

🙁

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Sane MaxSane Max
    Participant

The solution was to identify two or three key periods that will always keep my interest and invest the effort in those.

whereas I , realising I had a historical army for every century from Old Kingdom Egyptian up to The Simba wars EXCEPT for the 18th century, could not really relax Until I had bought an army for it (which 4 years later is still unpainted)

in honesty most of us are collectors by nature, and that makes us all addicts of a type. You can resist the urge, you can chew the equivalent of Nicorette Gum with whatever strategy you can come up with, but we are all only a short step away from logging into someone’s on-line shop and mainlining an enormous Hit.

Phil DutréPhil Dutré
    Participant

There is no control. Well, perhaps there is, storage space.

But anyway, from a real-life point of view there is the constraint of money. I guess it’s personal on how much disposable income you have that yu can spend on your hobby – for some it might be 100 EUR per year, for other it might be 10000 EUR per year or more. It would be totally stupid to spend more money on a hobby than you have available.

But as for control of the hoard: over the year I have probably owned 10 time more stuff than I currently have. The trick is to prune the collection regularly and not get too attached to anything in particular, especially when it is not painted yet or still unused. Also, moving house every so many years is also a great incentive to keep the collection manageable.

But it’s a hobby. You shouldn’t think too deep about it. That’s what the job is for. 😉

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

Phil DutréPhil Dutré
    Participant

Oh, BTW, going for smaller-sized figures is insane. Your eyesight will deteriorate as you get older, so my tendency is to go larger figures to paint. I’m currently doing a project for 42mm figures.

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

jeffersjeffers
    Participant

Sane Max – I’m keeping quiet about my current obsession with 1/100 aeroplane models… 😉

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Mark Jessop
    Participant

I thought I was under control.  Then last weekend I completed a large order of 54mm ECW figures on impulse.  Mind you since then I’ve been researching the war and which rules to use.  Back in 2009 at Salute I saw a simply beautiful ECW game in the same scale and have had an itch ever since, but always put it off.

Thorsten FrankThorsten Frank
    Participant

Oh, that is a bad topic.

I lack any self-control besides money….

Sometimes I think some kind of family would limit it. And my previous job did put also some constraints on this particular hobby but with that gone too it got very complex to put it mild. And there´s also this annoying computer which feeds me on a regular base (I´m completely fascinated by Shadow Empire for several months now). Without the monetary constraints I could have easily sunk several thousand euro in minis and rules this year alone. Gladly, sometimes sanity kicks in and says “how about painting the unpainted minis first and complete the terrain you´ve started three years ago”.

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

hammurabi70hammurabi70
    Participant

How do you guys control yourself and stop yourself spending the mortgage money on things you likely won’t ever complete? Or half starting projects that you won’t complete? I am struggling to justify not spending a bunch of money soon.

I look at the current unpainted lead mountain and ask if I REALLY need more.  Sometimes it works.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.