Home Forums General General How do you overcome no motivation?

This topic contains 43 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Jemima Fawr Jemima Fawr 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

I sit here, 15 minutes from the new year and I am meant to be painting. Tis my NYE tradition for the past few years. I have painted one coat onto a bunch of Xenomorphs. But I just can’t be bothered to do anything. I have no desire to paint, yet every week I will make a list of projects I want to work on over the weekend.

Does anyone have any tips of overcoming this? Starting a new genre/scale is not an option.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I have times when I just don’t want to paint, so I read blogs and AAR’s and I get back to painting. Sometimes the magic works, and sometimes it doesn’t.

grizzlymc
    grizzlymc
    Participant

For three years I haven’t.

warwell
    warwell
    Participant

I don’t believe in forcing it. This is a hobby after all, and meant to be fun. If it feels like work, I don’t do it. Instead, I’ll do something else – read rules, blogs, or forums, play games, prep for my other hobby (LARPing), etc. I find that eventually something will spark my interest and get back into the groove. Sometimes it might be a new project but other times I will restart a stalled effort.

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

In my next life, I’m going to be a sports psychologist for a national team. When it gets in your head, you’re going to have problems.

Not “forcing”  (above) is excellent advice. I’d add look for small triumphs. Find something small and easy you can paint and complete quickly and take pleasure in your accomplishment.

Another thing is set a goal and a timeline. A scheduled game with a friend that needs a realistic number of figures painted is good for motivation.

Finally, take out stuff you’ve painted and admire what you’ve already achieved. You’ve done it and can do it again.

Good luck, donald

Norm S
    Norm S
    Participant

To a degree, I see painting as being a bit habit forming and the longer you stop, the harder it is to kickstart again.  I dislike painting and so it becomes a job or task that has to be done. My solution is to paint in very short sessions, even if you only paint one thing on a batch of say 16.

My mind is told that just doing that is better than nothing and so things progress and on those days that I want to do more, I do.

This approach lets me use those short moments that are free and that otherwise one might just flop down in front of a computer screen.

http://commanders.simdif.com

Oh no....
    Oh no….
    Participant

If I get bored/hacked off painting something, I switch to painting something else (usually something part painted…….).

MartinR
    MartinR
    Participant

As noted above, it is a hobby not a job, so if you don’t  feel like painting don’t do it. Do something else instead, it could even be vaguely wargaming related. I find making terrain to be quite satisfying, or putting labels on my storage boxes, or even just sorting out my piles of rules.

An afternoon of paperwork may well have you screaming to pick up a paintbrush again…

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Alan Hamilton
    Participant

I lost motivation to model and paint while my mother was terminally ill and I was looking after her.  It was as much a complete change of focus rather than loss of motivation at first.  Then after mum died I had no motivation at all to do anything “wargamey”.  But I did do a lot of reading.

Then about 6 or 7 weeks after the funeral I started painting again – something very simple.  Some Saxon Ceorls (Churls) that had been sitting in their boxes for about 2 years were started and slowly progressed.  The spell was broken really when the grandchildren asked to play a game and I had to paint a few figures for that.  Now I am sorting out Saxons, vikings, Arthuriand, Celts, Romans and our eldest son’s Bolt Action British and Germans.

The real answer for me was doing something for someone else (the grandchildren).

Cameronian
    Cameronian
    Participant

Do something else while I wait it out.

'The time has come, the walrus said...'

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Do something completely unrelated – preferably physical: run, weights, calisthenics etc if able/inclined – brisk walk, tai chi etc if not. Exercise is a great medicine – something that gives you a sense of achievement and well being – don’t set unrealistic goals – at my age don’t expect to lift what you were doing aged 33! If you love it you’ll feel refreshed and your mind will be clear and you’ll soon feel inclined to paint again- if you hate it you’ll relish painting while avoiding stupid advice from twits on the internet in future.

Thomaston
    Participant

I was painting last night through the New Year. It was something I’ve been pushing back for a while and it was nearly bedtime but I figured I’ll add a color to the model to see what it’ll look like, a few hours later it was done. The starting is the difficult part, set small goals and if you’re a bit like me you’ll get into the flow of it.

It’s true that the longer you stop the harder it is to get back in. For me my hobbies are mostly to stop myself from being lazy and idle.

“Do something completely unrelated – preferably physical: run, weights, calisthenics etc if able/inclined – brisk walk, tai chi etc if not. Exercise is a great medicine”
    Funny you should say that, sculpting and painting IS my break from exercise. It’s a lot easier too.

I realize everyone is different and what works for me might put others off. I have a routine I stick to and paintng/sculpting is where I retreat to when I’m tired of the routine.

Tired is enough.

irishserb
    irishserb
    Participant

I tend to find that if painting isn’t working out for me, I can just change gears and go to another aspect of the hobby. Sometimes I enjoy painting, sometimes I don’t, so I might work on back story for my campaigns or something for my blog, build terrain, research, write rules, etc.

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

For me it’s usually a good book on the topic at hand that motivates me to get back to painting. I also tell myself, “Dammit! It’s a hobby. You don’t HAVE TO do it.” While I like to work on one project until finished–it gives me a sense of satisfaction–I keep my projects small and realistic and I don’t give myself a completion date.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

Thanks everyone for all the useful advice. I almost feel like just posting the thread was enough to snap me out of it.

I just don’t have any immediate games planned, and I am remembering this time last year when I began two campaigns that haven’t been touched in a year. So I guess I find  that demotivating. Also my WW2 project led to miniatures being painted but no games due to lack of terrain.

James Manto
    James Manto
    Participant

All good advice.

Sometimes I’ll go to my hobby space to do one thing, but another thing appeals more at the moment so I’ll do that instead and push a different project forward.

This might gain momentum

Or not

Jim Jackaman
    Jim Jackaman
    Participant

I often get painters block, so do something less fiddly and a bit more messy instead, like terrain building or assembling mdf or plastic model kits. I also blog a lot which keeps me on track and helps me to pick up projects that have fallen by the wayside but need finishing off, which can be a breath of fresh air.

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

I like to watch movies for some fun and inspiration.

greg954
    Participant

I have the same problem when it comes to painting. It’s never my most favourite bit of the hobby and as such I lack the will to paint quite often.

Its a means to an end. I find the motivation is in the other parts of the hobby. Provided I’ve painted to a standard I’m happy with ( quite often not) it’s nice to see the finished article on the gaming table. The whole package of constructing a game. Story, buying miniatures, scratch building, scenery etc…isn’t really complete until the models are painted.

That is a big factor in finding motivation to paint for me.

jeffers
    Participant

I’ve no problem with painting, modelling or sculpting. I just switch projects or do something else for a while.

One trick with painting that a like-minded chum in the RAF passed on to me was to keep a tray with all your bits on it ready for action. When you feel like working, just get the tray out and have a go. When you feel a bit bored, put the tray away out of sight to clear the mind, so to speak. The speed with which you can deploy means when you feel like having a go you can crack on quickly without the need to clear space, gather the equipment etc. Certainly works for me (and the wooden tray I use is the last thing I bought from Woolworths…).

What demotivates me is the gaming aspect. Sadly all my nicely painted kit is doomed to spend its life in the loft until it goes on eBay!

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

I’ll echo what has already been said here: I love painting but get burned out sometimes, so take a break. If that break is too long, inertia can build up making getting started again difficult. I will do other painting-related things (reorganize my paints, sort unpainted minis, etc) until the desire comes back. If i really need to get stuff painted, but just haven’t gathered the will to do it, I will make myself sit down and paint for 5 mins. That will usually break the doldrums.

I also keep all the materials needed for painting one project handy, so that painting is a simple task of grabbing that tray and turning on a lamp.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I’ll echo what has already been said here: I love painting but get burned out sometimes, so take a break. If that break is too long, inertia can build up making getting started again difficult. I will do other painting-related things (reorganize my paints, sort unpainted minis, etc) until the desire comes back. If i really need to get stuff painted, but just haven’t gathered the will to do it, I will make myself sit down and paint for 5 mins. That will usually break the doldrums. I also keep all the materials needed for painting one project handy, so that painting is a simple task of grabbing that tray and turning on a lamp.

^^^ This.

I have been stuck like this for a while now, however I just painted about 6 minutes of work on a model.
    Just some flames in a blacksmiths forge and now the block is broken.
    Now 6 minutes is not a lot, and the flames are just a small part of the model, but it is progress, and any progress is good.

Just do a couple of minutes, that way the dread of painting vs the worry of never getting the things painted is crushed, they are getting painted, slowly but still a step closer to being ready.
    Maybe I can do 6 minutes tomorrow too, then maybe 10 minutes…

Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Like everyone else says, I just do something else when i dont feel like painting.
    Another thing I do that helps: I prefer making terrain to painting, so when I start a new project I do the terrain first. That way, I can immediately use the figures when I have enouggh painted up. For example, I recently started a WW2 European project. I have built and nearly finished painting 15 European buildings, 6 feet of low hedges, 6 feet of bocage, 6 feet of walls, fields, etc. Only now that all of this is complete am I beginning to paint the troops.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Chris Pringle
    Participant

What I find most motivating is having enthusiastic comrades eager to take to the wargame table with me. The definite prospect of fighting a particular battle, with the game booked into the calendar, helps to get the necessary scenario written, railway gun painted, terrain made, etc. I respond to deadlines and to friends’ prompting!

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/

Les Hammond
    Participant

It’s a free country (under current legislation) so you can do other wargaming-related stuff, or failing that, watch war movies or read about warfare/history until the mojo returns.

Me, I’ve got to put all the turrets back on my tanks after a cabinet (which usually isn’t moved) was trundled Laurel & Hardy piano mover style down a step 

6mm France 1940

http://les1940.blogspot.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/386297688467965/

willz
    willz
    Participant

I have never had a problem with motivation when it comes to painting, however I regularly swap between 4 periods so I don’t get stale.  So I suppose that is how I overcome your problem .  I am fortunate that I find painting and all things wargaming relaxing.

Willz.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

If you have no motivation for the hobby as a whole, put it aside for a while and do something else.

If it’s just the painting, do some research or put those under-coated guys on a table and run a quick solo scenario.
    Maybe make some conversions or look at your terrain collection instead. You know..putter around.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

I tend to use “painting” as a euphemism for all model making related activities as at 6mm, there is little construction that goes on and when I lose my mojo it tends to encompass all of it.

However, thanks to this thread, I feel it coming back. I have set some goals and hope to meet them. I just think I need new miniatures,  or a new idea to start…so a new project…even though I said no.

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

I just think I need new miniatures, or a new idea to start…so a new project…even though I said no.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Gamers never really say “No” to new projects though, do they?

It’s more like “No I really shouldn’t…but…”

Nordic Weasel Games

Thuseld
    Thuseld
    Participant

Lol going up to 15mm has been something I have seriously toyed with this year.

Doug Melville
    Participant

I am not making it a resolution, but I am going to try to do some hobby related stuff every day.. even if it is just sorting through figures. The last week or so, I have painted every day. Even if it is just applying a wash to a piece of terrain. And it is amazing how fast you get things done when you just do a little bit regularly. So for example – cut some bases from MDF one day, glue on resin parts the next, undercoat in the morning before work, add colour after…  And you soon have some very acceptable entrenchments for WW2.

Over the last little while I’ve been finding if I mix terrain, game aids and figures, then it’s way easier.

OldBen1
    OldBen1
    Participant

Skirmish games help too!  Painting a huge army can be pretty daunting.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Skirmish games help too! Painting a huge army can be pretty daunting.

Knowing that you can paint a bit and have it matter on the table is a huge motivator, I find.

Nordic Weasel Games

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

True, it is why I stopped stocking 6mm Napoleonics and went to making my own 6mm sci-fi skirmish, much quicker to get stuff done.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

6mm Napoleonic Skirmish is going to be the big hit in 2019, mark my words 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

6mm Napoleonic Skirmish is going to be the big hit in 2019, mark my words 🙂

I did intend to do individually based 6mm Napoleonics as Skirmish. But as Richard Sharpe and crew but they keep jumping through time.

Sharpe’s Hussars

Sharpe’s Somme

Sharpe’s Market Garden

Sharpe’s Falklands

Sharpe’s Invasion of the Daleks.

You get the idea.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen

Some day, someone will crack time travel scenarios for wargaming and make bank.

Nordic Weasel Games

Jemima Fawr
    Jemima Fawr
    Participant

As Chris Pringle says, I find that having a game fixed in the calendar is the best possible spur to getting troops painted.  I’ll also put unit names at suitable intervals on the calendar to give me an idea of progress toward my painting goals for the game.  Planning it on the calendar also gives me an idea if a timescale is realistic or not.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

grizzlymc
    grizzlymc
    Participant

Ms Fawr, do you sometimes use the Kanban?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.