Home Forums General General How do you overcome no motivation?

This topic contains 43 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Jemima Fawr Jemima Fawr 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Doug Melville
    Participant

‘Agile’ painting? errrr…  not for me.. but for example, yesterday morning – undercoating some figs and a couple of vehicles with a spray can, when I got home, bodged up a Panzerjager crewman from the Warlord Games ‘German Infantry’ box, (a leg here, an arm there.. ), undercoated that, applied the interior colour to a vehicle, painted the little numbers on some shock markers for ‘Chain of Command’ using the Warlord Bolt Action pin markers. Overall, not much actually, but a little bit each day, nothing too challenging, and before you know it, there are some new things to share.

As Chris Pringle says, I find that having a game fixed in the calendar is the best possible spur to getting troops painted. I’ll also put unit names at suitable intervals on the calendar to give me an idea of progress toward my painting goals for the game. Planning it on the calendar also gives me an idea if a timescale is realistic or not.

I’ve done this on several occasions.  The last one was back in 2015.  I put on a game for some guys near by for Quatre Bras commemorating the 200th anniversary of the 100 Days Campaign.  It worked like a charm.  I painted/repainting shed loads of 15mm Napoleonic miniatures, mostly Minifigs 2nd gen.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Jemima Fawr
    Jemima Fawr
    Participant

As Chris Pringle says, I find that having a game fixed in the calendar is the best possible spur to getting troops painted. I’ll also put unit names at suitable intervals on the calendar to give me an idea of progress toward my painting goals for the game. Planning it on the calendar also gives me an idea if a timescale is realistic or not.

I’ve done this on several occasions. The last one was back in 2015. I put on a game for some guys near by for Quatre Bras commemorating the 200th anniversary of the 100 Days Campaign. It worked like a charm. I painted/repainting shed loads of 15mm Napoleonic miniatures, mostly Minifigs 2nd gen.

Yeah, me too.  I decided rather belatedly in March 2015 to do ‘Waterloo 200’ and then plotted on the calendar all the units I had to paint, allowing two days per unit (12-16 cavalry or 16-24 infantry – AB Figures 15mm).  I paint for 4 days per week, so that’s two units per week.  I worked out that I could only JUST achieve my goal by 18th June, but it did help to galvanise my painting.  In the event, I managed to paint even faster than my plan and squeezed in some more units.

The downside of this is that it can kill enthusiasm for painting anything after the planned game, so the secret is to keep planning games…

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Jemima Fawr
    Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Ms Fawr, do you sometimes use the Kanban?

That’s a damn personal question and I’ll thank you not to ask it again.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.