Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi How do you store your Epic minis…?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    ian pillay
    Participant

Most probably one of the more frequent questions asked but asking again..(for a friend 😊)

How are you storing your epic minis and are there any commercial foam storage options out there?

Thanks in advance

Tally-Ho!

Logain
    Participant

I’m a big fan of the old chessex cases, that’s what mine have been stored in for years. I’m about to order another for my 3mm Adeptus Titanicus Project. I’d get their largest case with the smallest foam cut outs. A great, thoughtful product that can store an entire epic force in one slim box.  The only drawback is big Epic 6/8mm Titans won’t fit in them, but the 3mm one do.

Mike Headden
    Participant

Steel toolboxes and magnetic bases.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Mike
    Keymaster

I stored my 6mm sci-fi in KR multicases.

Mr. Average
    Participant

I second both of the last two options: steel and magnets being my current favored system.  I use 1/16″ lasercut plywood with a little 1/8″ neodymium magnet in the middle, which holds with about a half pound of force, plenty to keep my forces stable.  McMaster-Carr is a great source for well-made steel storage boxes.

For the soft foam option, KR multicase is definitely the best and they have a wide range of options to suit budget and desired level of security.

McKinstry
    Participant

I use snap lid commercial jewelers boxes (.5,1,1.5,2,3,4) inches high lined on the bottom with rubber steel and then magnetic bases on my figures/vehicles and ships. Where that simply isn’t practical such as with aircraft of spaceships I use pluck foam. Carrying cases for both the jewelers boxes and pluck foam are available.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

ian pillay
    Participant

Thank you for all those solutions!

Tally-Ho!

Phil Dutré
    Participant

All my figures are arranged in drawers, very densely, sometimes on top of each other, no further protection. I have too many figures total to worry about the occasional damage.

My blogpost from a few years ago: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/2015/05/storage-and-transport-of-wargaming.html

In the end, it’s all about numbers. Storing 100 figures is a different problem from storing 10000 figures.

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

Ruarigh
    Participant

My 6mm scifi is all stored in VHS video cassette cases. I bought a couple of metres of 1/2″ soft foam off the market and line the lid of the case with the foam. Then I put magnetic sheet on the base and steel paper on the figure bases. The figures store easily on a bookcase shelf and I can make up fancy covers to insert into the outside of the case so I know what is in the box.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    https://roderickdale.co.uk/

Mr. Average
    Participant

Right now, interestingly, I’m also finding that surplus ammunition drums make a good and style-appropriate storage solution for minis with magnetic bases, as well. My low profile figures fit on the sides, and my taller figures (Titans, Ogres, OHMUs, etc.) fit on the bottom. I may mod the interior to hold multiple trays, if I get ambitious. I may also use smaller tin plate boxes inside the bin to store individual units. It’s got a lot of possibilities, is sturdy and resistant to shock, easy to transport, and can be stenciled appropriately.

Thomaston
    Participant

Like others I use a lot of magnets. For they storage thing itself I use tins anc CD cases, they’re about 10mm so could accomodate most 6mm infantry.

Those flat transparent paper case would also work well, you can stack a lot up in a small space.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mr. Average
    Participant

For the magnetically minded, this is my current solution come to fruition. It’s an Army surplus .50cal ammunition case, with steel candy boxes inside. Two sizes seems optimal: I get 12 “medium” and 14 “small” boxes in there and they seat very comfortably without pressing, squeezing or jostling. That’s a very decent amount of storage in a very small and portable package. Individual tins allow for labeling and sorting by unit/detachment: main forces are in the “medium” boxes, with special and support units in the “small” ones.

As you can see the boxes are tinplate steel and hold a 1/8” diameter neodymium magnet quite firmly. The magnetism is actually just enough to exert a weak force through to the lid of the box below but so far not enough to make any difference. Each box is just about 7/8” deep, sufficient for most of my regular forces.

Thomaston
    Participant

Box inside a box. There’s also tins like those with clear windows in the lid.
    There must places where you can get those 50 cal boxes for free. I’ve seen them used as door stops and ashtrays 😉

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mr. Average
    Participant

Mine cost me $10 on sale.  But yes, they’re everywhere, and quite useful.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

That’s genius, Mat! Got a source for those candy boxes?

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Mr. Average
    Participant

I found them on Amazon.  There are a lot of brands but they all seem to be of a size, probably sourced from factories in China who supply to candy companies at wholesale.  The small ones are about the same size as Altoid mint boxes.

This was what I ended up getting.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.