Home Forums General Tabletop RPG’s How does super hero RPG works?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Thomaston
    Participant

I’m only familiar with the movies and not even that much. With no experience at all with super hero RPG games I’m having difficulty wrapping my head around how super powered RPGs works. How are they played? Seems to me GM has to come up with villains who are resistent to character’s powers or else it’s be very easy to win fights. Compared to fantasy classes and attributes, super powers looks like an even more restrictive class system, and slot players itno even more of a pidgeon hole.

Anyone can explain or have links to examples on how it works? I haven’t had any luck in my search for answers.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

In the reverse manner to the Call of Cthulhu RPG one imagines 🙂

"I'm not signing that"

James Rivera
    Participant

I’ve struggled with this myself and the only advice I can offer is to take a look at Green Ronin’s adventures for their Mutants & Masterminds rpg.  There branded as “Astonishing Adventures”, are not overly expensive and  and might give you a few ideas at least on how they’ve structured adventures/encounters for supers.

Mutants & Masterminds Third Edition: Latest Releases

Mike Headden
    Participant

In my, very limited, experience the superhero sessions I’ve taken part in have felt like fantasy RPGs but where every major character is a mage. Albeit mages with a very limited range of spells. Some run permanently, others require specific circumstances to trigger.

Seems to me the trick is to have a GM who can tailor sessions to the player characters strength and weaknesses.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Thomaston
    Participant

I’ll take a look at Mutants & materminds for pointers, thanks for the sugestion.

@Mike
    That’s my issue with getting into the ganre. I can onyl see GM tailoring villains to player group working for so long. After that ideal villain is defeatd wouldn’t other villains be even less of a challenge?

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.