Home Forums General Tabletop RPG’s How does super hero RPG works?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I’m only familiar with the movies and not even that much. With no experience at all with super hero RPG games I’m having difficulty wrapping my head around how super powered RPGs works. How are they played? Seems to me GM has to come up with villains who are resistent to character’s powers or else it’s be very easy to win fights. Compared to fantasy classes and attributes, super powers looks like an even more restrictive class system, and slot players itno even more of a pidgeon hole.

Anyone can explain or have links to examples on how it works? I haven’t had any luck in my search for answers.

Participant

In the reverse manner to the Call of Cthulhu RPG one imagines 🙂

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

I’ve struggled with this myself and the only advice I can offer is to take a look at Green Ronin’s adventures for their Mutants & Masterminds rpg.  There branded as “Astonishing Adventures”, are not overly expensive and  and might give you a few ideas at least on how they’ve structured adventures/encounters for supers.

Mutants & Masterminds Third Edition: Latest Releases

Participant

In my, very limited, experience the superhero sessions I’ve taken part in have felt like fantasy RPGs but where every major character is a mage. Albeit mages with a very limited range of spells. Some run permanently, others require specific circumstances to trigger.

Seems to me the trick is to have a GM who can tailor sessions to the player characters strength and weaknesses.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

I’ll take a look at Mutants & materminds for pointers, thanks for the sugestion.

@Mike
    That’s my issue with getting into the ganre. I can onyl see GM tailoring villains to player group working for so long. After that ideal villain is defeatd wouldn’t other villains be even less of a challenge?

Participant

Too too late but here is a free game system http://www.wargamedownloads.com/demo/SuperSystem4FastPlay.pdf

Four-Color Studios has an easy system and I believe Four-Color and SuperSystem are pretty much the same.

Easy mechanics for every D6 you have you roll your attack, 1,2,3 is a miss, 4 and 5 is a hit, 6 is two hits

Participant

I think it’s good to remember, often Super Villains will return again. So rather than eliminate them, it’s more capture, imprison, escape, maybe.

Tim from Gomi Designs. 15mm Vietnam riverine. www.gomidesigns.co.uk

@telzy amber
    Thanks for the rules> I’ve downlaoded it and will check it out.

@Mishima

My main confusion is how these games are run/played. I think I need to see it in action to understand the dynamics of encounters.

Participant

I’ve only played in one SuperHero game, using the Palladium System (hey, it was 1993!  It’s all we had!) and I don’t think I could ever play in another.  That’s partly as superheroes aren’t my jam, but also because the GM did such a fantastic job.  It felt at first as if it was to be a “typical” sort of adventure where we got embroiled attempting to foil the nefarious deeds of a super rich and powerful Bad Guy.  Long-story-short: we didn’t face situations that were tailored for or against our superpowers, just regular old situations where we had to decide if and how to employ them (some were made easier by using them, some waaay harder).  The big horrible Bad Guy turned out to be our own “handler” who was feeding us bad intel in the pursuit of a personal vendetta.  And the man/company we took down, though he/it were a little dirty as any big corp would be, turned out to actually be a beneficial humanitarian force in the world and their destruction caused a cascade of quality-of-life failures that started slowly and then snowballed into cross-planet misery that we couldn’t stop.  All out own faults for not heading clues, advice and the like in single-minded pursuit of using our powers and being he Good Guys.

So, TDLR: I’d say the best way to run it is to have a good idea of the story arc, either stay away from tropes or lean into them as hard as you can, but the real story has to be centered around the human factor and have the players invested.  Decide beforehand if super powers are more like additional tools that characters can call upon to help them out, or are the characters very lives and centers of existence.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thanks, that helps a bit.

I’m watching one campaign on youtube. So far, after two hours, they’re just about done with character creation.

@DSG
    You post and youtube vidoes helped correct my thinking. Previously I thought the games would strictly use superpowers but it looks like in actual play its more like modern. scifi games where perks and flaws are more exagerated.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.