Home Forums Air and Sea Naval How Not to Be a French Squadron Commander

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

There is now a replay of the Cape Ortegal scenario up on the blog.  As you might guess from the title, I commanded the French squadron this time.   Please drop by: https://mymodelsailingships.blogspot.com

Oh, and feel free to leave a comment.  I’d love to answer questions about the rules or scenario.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Participant

Man, you are having a run of bad personal luck with that scenario!  The rules seem sound though that’s pretty cool.  Would you say they are easy enough for entry level players?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Darby,

It does look bad for my tactical acumen, I will admit!  However, I enjoy playing Age of Sail so much that I don’t mind if I lose (which is obviously a good attitude for me to have herelately ).

As to the rules, yeah I think they are probably OK for beginners.  They have one of the most elegant, but nicely detailed sailing models I’ve seen and that’s where a lot of rules for this genre fall down.  They are pretty granular, but the charts and play aides are very well designed.  You can’t play Trafalgar with them, but 1-3 squadrons per side is what these rules are designed for and they really shine in that role.

The nice thing with Age of Sail rules is that you can start with one ship per side until you’re comfortable with them and then expand.  Even better, I have some top-down views of ships so that you don’t even need miniatures to start.  I would be remiss in my Impress Service duties if I didn’t offer you the top-down counters to pique your interest!

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Participant

Nice, thanks!  Once we get back to dabbling in Napolionics I’ll have to grab PC to look at for our ship rules.  You going to MillCon this year?  I won’t be able to make it (again, dagnabbit!) but one of these years we will have to get together.  I even make Ed of THW come out next year.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

No, I can’t make it this year.  The grandson and I have a fencing tournament we go to and this year it was moved to that Saturday.  I’m planning on next year though.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.