Home Forums General General How serious are your games?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks

How seriously do you take your gaming?

By that I mean in terms of ‘respecting’ the background/fluff/story.

I really like to have fun with my games, and pew pew noises, saying things I imagine the models to say and so on are all good.
    However I take the story and background seriously.

I really don’t like comedy things that are shoved in for the sake of it, such as names like Ivor Biggun and Major Boner etc.
    Nor do I like scenarios that are comedic, such as people going to a planet of tailors to kidnap the owner of the best bespoke suit designer etc.

I also tend to stay away from rules that have comedy names, like New Orbital Bombardment or NOB. (I made that up)

What works for you?
    Do you like it to be serious or do you like to make jokes?

Does making it more serious make it more real for you?
    It does for me.

A game where everyone has comedy names would just ruin any suspension of disbelief.
    Is it disrespectful to take someone’s serious game/scenario and turn it into a Carry On film?

For those of you that have gamed with me, am I a boring old git?

😀

Etranger
    Participant

Just quietly, Carry On Up The Kyber provides a great colonial scenario for the NW Frontier! http://www.cliomuse.com/carry-on-up-the-khyber.html

I tend to use a bit of observational humour in my games, but generally it’s incidental rather than central to the game. When you have real life characters  like the distinguished paratrooper Lt-Col Geoffrey Pine-Coffin it’s sometimes a bit difficult to avoid though. His men called him Wooden-Box! http://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/geoffrey_pine_coffin.htm One other distinction was that he habitually wore cowboy boots in combat……

Northern Monkey
    Participant

I do both, fantasy and sci-fi might get a bit silly at times and we certainly use silly names here and there, I recall a mini warmaster campaign involving Baron Heinz von Beanz and his quest to regain the lost family sword- Windbreaker.

Historical stuff is generally more serious but even there we will slip in the odd daft name/scenario. Saying that if someone was running a serious game then I wouldn’t deliberately mess it up and im happy to play either style.

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Patrice
    Participant

I like to imagine that game characters are real living persons, not game pawns.

I also like the games to be fun; and a bit cartoonish IF it doesn’t hamper the belief that what happens could be true.

I need both: humour, and  feeling of realism, to believe in the adventure. So some names may have an humourous meaning, but it must not be so obviously ridiculous that it would ruin the feeling.

For example, one of my favourite characters (sometimes as player character, sometimes as NPC) in our pirate games is a French Governor, “Monsieur de Toulvarère”. This name actually means “hole (of) my ass” if you pronounce it in the Breton language but this meaning is not obvious to all players and the modified spelling reminds of “Lagardère” a well-known French novel swashbuckler hero.

And my Governor has a NPC niece: “Mademoiselle Clotirisse”… all ship captains (players) always want to meet her in private, even when it’s not included in their mission!

…and no, this is NOT sexist. A gay friend once complained that there was no NPC for his taste in the game, so it happened that the Governor also has a nephew! whose name is: “Aymé Biennofont de Toulvarère”… aaargh I won’t translate this one, but it is not obviously ridiculous, it fits in the period…

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

irishserb
    Participant

My approach is to play within the “spirit of the game”.  I play Monster Squash, garden gnomes, WWII, my African imagi-nations, and post-apoc all very differently, trying to play with a level of seriousness corresponding to the environment of the game.

I tend to immerse myself in the games, particularly historical battles.  For example, I have very vivid memories of being wet and miserable at a Tarawa game at a friends house several years ago, of my men futilely struggling to get over the coconut log wall, getting hit one after another, of rapidly realizing that we had to withdraw, and just as fast realizing it was an amphibious assault and that there was nowhere to retreat to.  By the end of the game, I was physically and mentally  exhausted.

In contrast to that, my Pacific Victorian Piracy games (think the movie “Nate and Hayes”) tend to run like grade “B” adventure flicks.  I may well spend the entire game speaking with a bad accent, spewing bad puns and silly insults, killing whatever gets in the way of my game objective.

It just depends on the atmosphere of the game.

War Panda
    Participant

Good question. Never really reflected on this but it seems I’m pretty serious about my gaming. My knowledge of my area’s of gaming are not perfect so the realism is never going to be “professional” but it seems like I’m driven by a narrative that would like to have some semblance to reality. And I find that it endeavours to somehow recreate the human experience as well. I know that probably sounds silly but I’ve tried in the past to give flesh to the protagonists. My games have been more often than not solo affairs recently and I try to imagine a story where I actually care about the consequences of the participants actions. I tried to do this a little time back where I gave the British platoon actual personalities and backgrounds. I’ll use them again in a forthcoming Bolt Action video to get a little more milage out of them 🙂

I don’t see moments of humour should be exclusive from the seriousness of war though. I try to add a little as I go 🙂

http://warpanda.blogspot.ca/2014/05/blog-post_28.html?view=timeslide

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

Spurious
    Participant

I tend to take gaming pretty seriously, always ending up doing quite a bit of research for any project, usually combined with building terrain that’s themed. But I am certainly not playing dry; my English Civil War army has a Shetland pony as the Commander’s (daughter’s) pet instead of a dog and there’s sneaky references to things on banners and the like. But I steer clear of the obvious as if anything they’re references that’ll only amuse me, like individuals in my ANZAC platoon for Vietnam being named after characters from Neighbours.

Obvious ‘joke’ characters, settings and scenarios I tend to steer clear of (often because the humour is puerile or just falls flat). But what I consider to be too silly can really vary depending on the game. I have no problem with the gang from scooby-doo fighting giant monkeys from Space! in 7TV, but the gang turning up to fight ‘comedy’-named insurgents in No End In Sight just isn’t happening for me.

Basically, it’s all about the context, with an aversion for bad attempts at comedy. With ‘bad’ being highly subjective, as with all comedy.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

We treat it seriously within the narrative (unless it’s intended as a joke game to begin with) but we’ll seize on goofy things that happen and riff off those, like a squad leader who wins an unexpected assault becoming a loud, Texan cowboy and whatnot.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

willz
    Participant

I tend to add or humor slips into most games, this is a hobby and I try not to fool myself it is real life.  I love the light hearted banter that will flow back and forth across the war-game table.  Never take a hobby too seriously or then it becomes a drudge, I like to research and play my games as accurately as I can but I can still have just as much fun with a made up non serious scenarios.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

I like to research my games, especially WWII. As the games unfold, those comic moments get seized upon when a unit blunders etc. For me both really add to my enjoyment of the game.

kyoteblue
    Participant

I have found that in my games if it is stupid and silly it will happen to me. My uber troops run away. My tank is not fight.  All I need do is roll the dice and the Gods laugh and laugh….

Shandy
    Participant

I tend to research my games, read up on the period and everything, but as soon as the stuff is on the table, I prefer light-hearted and humorous games – yes, even funny (though not vulgar) names! I’m very much in the TooFatLardies school of gaming: get the period feeling right, but don’t take yourself too seriously. It’s a game and I like to treat it that way. Which doesn’t mean it’s not exciting and dramatic.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.