Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi How to Create Cheap/Easy Lab/Space Station…in 54mm?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Gentlemen,

With many thanks to member Harry Faversham, I’m currently engaged in a Doctor Who project in 54mm (because 28mm is too easy – that and I just prefer the bigger size!). Now, one of the things a fellow needs for such a project is a way to recreate the laboratories, installations, labs and London underground settings that were so much a feature of the original series. This can always be a trick in the hobby, whatever the scale, but obviously the difficulties are more acute with the bigger toys. So my question is, do any of you have any ideas?

I would love cheap.

I would love low effort. (I have little interest in making scenery.)

I would love durable. Lightweight would be good (no suggestions of bricks or cinderblock please…)

After a good deal of head scratching and sucking on Jelly Babies I have found these: https://www.amazon.com/Yard-Games-Giant-Tumbling-Timbers/dp/B00L5FT81Q?pd_rd_wg=jrcSo&pd_rd_r=c109bd57-a45e-4a06-bd7a-809474813a0f&pd_rd_w=VnDbW&ref_=pd_gw_simh&pf_rd_r=BZYK8XR12M7BN558K4ST&pf_rd_p=b841581f-e864-5164-afa6-4c18a8348879 A little heavy, to be sure, but with a lick of grey paint they would likely prove durable, about the right size to suggest walls…and the price isn’t too bad. I think I could get away with using one set.

There are also these: https://www.amazon.com/40pc-Jumbo-Blocks-Playset-Wheels/dp/B00DYRKR18/ref=sr_1_3?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1541168811&sr=1-3&keywords=jumbo+legos+for+toddlers which have a nice psychedelic quality that might feel Whovian. Their footprint, 4″ wide, is pretty space inefficient, however.

The other option, one that appears to have been used in HF’s original post, is some sort of paper set (mounted on foam core?). This would likely be cheap, would certainly be light, looks rather good…but then I fear it would overtax my craftiness. But it remains an option.

Another thought I’ve had is if some sort of foam packing material might do the trick. It often comes in grey. Such a method would be very light and well-nigh indestructible. Not sure where to source this, though.

On a related note, I’m also on the hunt for computer consoles or other gadgetry that would fit in with 54mm Daleks or Cybermen, preferably already painted and ready to go. I’m sure there are some appropriate toys out there, but unfortunately don’t know of any…yet. Any thoughts?

Guidance on any of the above would be greatly appreciated!

The original post that got all this going: https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/kill-davros/

Keymaster

New things to do!!

Participant

What about the expanded polystyrene packing that you get around white goods (tumble dryers etc)?

If you’re not opposed to spending some money as your amazon search showed why not look for second hand Lego bricks on ebay? You’ll have a lot of freedom in creating the terrain and you can take it apart to build other stuff or make it modular.

Participant

I like the wall-less approach.  I used square lipped bases with plasticard glued in between.  Gives you a nice effect of corridors.  I’m sure you could use a similar approach.  Time consuming but cheap.  Now saying that, why not go 28mm?  There are literally hundreds of options.

Participant

Some doll’s house furniture used to be 1/32nd scale back in the days when nieces and friend’s daughters played with such things. No idea if it is still available, how much it might be or even if it would be suitable but worth a thought maybe for set dressing?

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

First of all, thank you all for the responses. To answer in detail:

Jim@ It’s a great idea that I think could have a lot of potential. The trouble is I’m not in the market for any major appliances just now (and I’m not sure the Mrs. would approve of getting one just for the packaging material…) – and so the sourcing problem remains.

Thomaston@ Yes, I’d thought of that too. The thing that holds me back from getting regular Legos is the assembly time involved – it would take a good while to assemble a 6’x4′ table of 3″ wall sections; I’m not much into high set-up times, you see, much preferring the “throw it all on the table and start rolling dice approach.” It’s one reason the kiddie version, or jumbo blocks, is attractive – much, much faster set up time (though I suppose some sections could be used repeatedly). There is also the colour issue; while a rainbow of colours might look kind of cool, or “groovy, baby!”, as another 70s icon might say, it also runs the risk of looking rather off. Not sure what to think on this one…There is always getting one colour (grey?), but in looking at the lego website I didn’t see how to do this. Might have to check again.

Ben@ Wall-less is a good idea. I hadn’t thought of that. I could probably pick up some plywood scraps to use as passageways, rooms, etc. With the aforementioned coat of grey paint this would be quick, easy and cheap, all attractive qualities. As to why I didn’t simply go with 28s and all the myriad options available in both figures and table dressings, it really boils down to my preference for the bigger scale. There’s a whiff of “playing with toys” to the thing that makes big-scale games special, at least in my book, and after years of focus on 54s it’s hard to go back. There are some superb Daleks available in the scale (which is the most important factor – one can’t really do Who games with no pepperpots!), some excellent Cybermen, UNIT options abound, if one isn’t too persnickety, and a rather good 4th Doctor figure. Having said this, I would give my right arm for Sea Devils, Yeti (might be able to scratch build these), Autons and companions. But then these gaps will keep me focused.

Thanks again for the input!

EDIT: Mike, missed your reply. Many thanks for that. I’ll start sniffing around for options. An excellent idea…One thing I’ve already started looking at for outdoor games is 1/32 cars. There are all sorts of 70s-style options, and most are pretty inexpensive. Automobiles always make a table look better. And the temptation to say “Vroom, vroom!” as one rolls them along can be irresistible!

No one says you can’t spray over the Lego once you’ve built it. You could make section to be modular but I see what you mean about size of bricks, maybe the cheaper, larger, Chinese clones?

Also look around for those crates they carry glasses in.

Participant

There is a railroad scale called G scale I think.  Freaking expensive.

Participant

Superb suggestion, Ben. I hadn’t thought of it. Not sure it really helps with the Space Hulk-like setting of the original question, but for outdoor games that is a great resource – and the good news for me is that I’m not looking for the expensive stuff (mainly the trains and buildings), but the figures could come in very handy, especially for civilian types. Some look overly American, but others…

And there is this quite wonderful vampire: https://www.amazon.com/Preiser-45512-Fictional-Character-Vampire/dp/B001B1W0YQ/ref=sr_1_190?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1541287632&sr=1-190&refinements=p_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A3135775011  If I could think of some way to get rid of the teeth he would be pretty close to Pertwee’s Doctor. Or give him black hair and make him the Master? Thanks very much for the lead.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.